What's new

Gambian president claims he has a cure for AIDS (1 Viewer)

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I thought to stop AIDS in Africa, all you had to do was by that Red cell phone "stop aids in africa" awarness deal?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
School districts that perform poorly are often candidates for take over by the state so that they can get their act together. The problem, as I see it, is not more money, debt relief, more doctors, free drugs. It is that there is a crying need that the governments of these countries have so severely mismanaged matters, stealing money, and what not, that the governments themselves need to be replaced for a period of time so that things like education can occur, the witch doctors can be imprisoned, population can be controlled, and the general welfare of the people can be improved albeit at the expense of the general welfare of the president and his supporting cast. To think of what a Mugabe could've done compared to what he did.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I think there are some countries where this is a major contributory factor, but not all. E.g. Botswana is relatively prosperous, has worked very hard to stamp out corruption, integrate western ideas of democracy into a tribal-oriented culture, etc. And generally this has worked well. However, they still have a rampant AIDS problem. Alas, a lot of it comes down to individuals behaving badly.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes, properous because of the diamonds and the relationship it has with de Beers but that's not going to last forever. The rate of AIDS infection is mind boggling by any standard with a frighteningly low life expectency. Their efforts though to stamp out corruption may be more limited to the general populace and be more institutionalized in select echelons of government. All in all though, I think they're doing a hell of a lot better than Zimbabwe or Nigeria.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the stopping of sex, in Africa, many who live in poorly educated and impoverished areas believe that having sex with young girls is beneficial for their virility as well as long life. Couple that with a general disrepect for women, belief in the power of garlic and what not to cure anything, and there you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks