What's new

Galactica 1980 on DVD, maybe soon? (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'll be picking up this Series as soon as it hits the shelves, along with the Modern Battlestar Galactica which, except for the Pilot Episode, I haven't watched! (Mainly because of Cable TV's "Seven on, Five off" method of airing shows (Thats seven minutes of Program and five minutes of :angry: Commercials:angry: for those of you in Rio Linda! (Which is why I stopped watching Cable TV!)

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Tivo dude! I haven't watched a commercial in 4 years.
Galactica 1980 was terrible, true. Yet, I'm buying it. I am powerless against it!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
^^
I'd invest in a TIVO Except for two things:

First, you have to pay a Monthly Fee

Second, The Quality of Commercial TV Programming has gotten so bad that there isn't that much to record these days! For as much as I used to pay for Cable ($60 a Month) I can buy at least Three (and as many as Five) DVD Box Sets each Month! (Thats at least 60 Hours of Programming!) with NO Popups, Banners, Commercials or Newsbreaks! Best of all, after I watch the Programs I GET TO KEEP THEM! :D

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen
Looks like I am in the minority here, but I actually liked this show :) I was also a fan of the original BG, but found that I liked the 1980 BG as well. I will be definitely buying this when it gets released.

For the record I am not a fan of the newest BG. I found it had a) too many changes and b) too depressing - the good guys were always losing in the few episodes I did sit through.

Let's hope the release date is soon :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Get an HDD recorder, then. I got one a year ago just before a 3-week vacation to record the usual shows I follow, and since then I've found that even if I get home in time for a particular show, I let the recorder 'tape' it, and watch it later, simply because I can then skip commercial breaks. Most conveniently, the model I have has buttons that skip forward (or backwards) 5 minutes, which is usually how long the ad break lasts!

Oh, as for Galactica 80, I rewatched it last year, and I'd agree, whilst Return of Starbuck is better than the rest of the show, it's still pretty poor compared to BSG proper.

Mark_TB

Second Unit

Unfortunately, the first three episodes are NOT available on the Netflix "Watch Instantly" option.

What was that story called, anyway? "Galactica Finds Earth" or something like that? I haven't seen it since it first aired, but I seem to recall that that story was a little more adult in tone than what followed for the rest of the series.

Mark

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I always thought Buck Rogers In The 25th Century with Gil Gerard was worse than Galactica 1980 but after watching the first disc of Buck, I'm finding myself enjoying it a lot more than expected. Fun show, so there's a good chance I will still enjoy G:1980 for what it is.

Galactica was a good start for the show and the Return of Starbuck was a really good end. The way the show turned out, I'm glad of the changes made with the cast and who came back for G:1980 and who didn't.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Yee-Ming said:
Get an HDD recorder, then. I got one a year ago just before a 3-week vacation to record the usual shows I follow, and since then I've found that even if I get home in time for a particular show, I let the recorder 'tape' it, and watch it later, simply because I can then skip commercial breaks. Most conveniently, the model I have has buttons that skip forward (or backwards) 5 minutes, which is usually how long the ad break lasts!

QUOTE]

You forgot my Second Reason, mainly the lack of any decent shows to record. Otherwise I'd had gotten an HDD Recorder a long time ago. (I still have my trusty VHS Recorder for those Once In A Blue Moon moments there is something worth recording!) :D

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
It's now Official! Start making your plans to Redeem the Gift Cards you'll get during the Holidays (Or Trade for something you've returned!) Galactica 1980 will be sold starting on :D December 26!:D

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Cool news! I like the cover art posted over at TVShowsonDVD.com though it make the series look more exciting than it was.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I also thought that beard Adama had in GALACTIA:1980 made him look a little bit like Papa Smurf! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Oh for the love of ...Universal can dig up this crap but can't finish my Amazing Stories or Night Gallery sets...I give up. There is no sense to anything anymore.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
They're pretty much the same. The only question is whether you want the "Cylon Head" packaging.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
For $30, the G80 set better include 200 hours of behind the scenes info. It's only 10 frakkin' hours!

I don't know what kind of drugs you guys are on, and no offense, but I never liked any of the G80 episodes, even as an 11 year-old. Recycled music, recycled effects, lame children-centered plot lines, time travel, etc. How about that Xavier guy who came back as a different actor in a later episode?

There is a great original BSG book that describes what would have happened to Galactica had it gone onto a second season and not been cancelled and re-done as G80. It basically describes things that would have happened that would have been horrible to watch. The in-process scripts were absolutely lame. The show was better off cancelled.

I have the Cylon-Head DVD set and I love it. I need to rip them to my iPhone.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
It the biggest misfire since The New Adventures of Perry Mason starring Monte Markham as Perry Mason. It is laughable that it is being sold as BG's final season. The press release says the original crew discover earth. Talk about twisting the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks