What's new

Galactica 1980, anyone?...Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think I'd have to draw the line at G-80. I have plenty of DVDs that I have for purely nostalgic reasons, but I can't see getting a show that I didn't think was very good in the first place! I saw The Return of Starbuck recently and was not a fan. I doubt I'd get this on DVD, as much as I like the original Galactica and Buck Rogers and their respective DVDs.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

It wasnt so much a case of Mr Larson's bad decision making, but more that the networks pretty much hamstrung the show right out of the gate. I cant find it now, but there was a detailed discription that I read once, about how the FCC demanded educational material from kids show at the time (Galactica was now classified as such). And of course being a kids show, you were very restricted in the types of violence you could show - AKA no human death (or very, very little human death).

In short, dont blame the man, blame the networks.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'd pick up Galactica 1980 just for the sake of completeness. I have not seen the show since I was 10 years old way back when it originally aired so it would be kind of fun to see it again. I really missed Starbuck and Apollo and wondered why it was supposedly years later than the original Galactica but Commander Adama still hadn't aged.

Anyway... count me in if it's released! I probably won't hold my breath though.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
That's right, it wasn't Larson's fault at all, it was entirely ABC's, which having already screwed the franchise once with their cancellation of Galactica then tried to have it both ways by bringing it back on the cheap and things reached a point where Larson knew if he didn't write it they were going to turn it over to someone else.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
About a month or so ago, right about the time Sci-Fi was launching the new series, I happened to be home on a weekday and noticed Sci-Fi was doing a Galactica '80 marathon. I was excited since I hadn't seen G80 since its original airing, so I flipped over and caught the last few epsodes including The Return of Starbuck.

Sweet Zombie Jesus, this show was infinitely worse that my memory of it was, and I remember it being pretty bad, even from a 10-year-old's perspective. I haven't seen such contrived morality lessons since Dr. Quinn went off the air (not that I ever watched that mind you, but my wife has some odd affection for it).

While many of you are speaking fondly of The Return of Starbuck, I found this one as painful as the rest. Sure, it was good to see old Dirk again, but the show was terrible. First of all, why did they change the Cylon's voice? It must have had something to do with the fact that he had far more dialog to deliver than the average Cylon, but he sounded, well, goofy. And don't get me started on the dialog. No, I was not amused to see Starbuck and a Cylon acting like an old married couple. Worst of all, they kept cutting back to Adama (I've seen kids in elementary school plays with better fake beards than the one they slapped on poor Lorene Greene for this show)and the incredibly creepy, grating, painful, Wesley Crusher prototype "Dr. Zee", who was recounting the Starbuck storyline as a dream he had. This dream, with a surprise ending that you can probably guess before the show even started. Argh! SeaQuest DSV was better Sunday night sci-fi than this garbabe!

OK, that's enough. It's just that I haven't had anyone to rant to who would know what the heck I was talking about. It was theraputic to get that off my chest. Thank you all for listening. :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The only two things I wanted to see in the Sci-Fi marathon of BG-1980 was Starbuck & the pilot and the only part I wanted to see of the pilot was the simulation where LA is destroyed....ugg...as has been mentioned many of the background plates were swiped from Earthquake, and the matching of the Cylon raiders to the size of the people running down the streets in the few original plates was hilarious, the ships were the size of a VW beetle!:D
Aside from that I was laughing my ass off as I realized that much of the business with the flying motorcycles was essentially trying to gain the interest of the younger set by attempting to combine Battlestar Galactica with C.H.I.P.S.!! :laugh:

...oh yeah, this show was bad but at least it was a laughable kind of bad.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Why anyone would want to view an entire season of this, I don't know. As others on here, I caught the first episode a few months back before the new B.G. premiered and if anything it was hysterical but not on purpose. They should burn the film they made this one.

I thought this one was pretty bad too. The sorta remake of the episode(without the wacky cylon) was much better on the new B.G.
Good thing that Kent McCord redeemed himself with Farscape but my question is, why did Robert Reed do this?

Dave Farley

Second Unit

It's good that you don't remember it, Yee. That way, you can go into it fresh. Its incredible badness is an experience to behold. It's not the same the second time around.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That's true. Galactica 1980 makes the Star Wars Holiday Special look like The Return of the King.

Bob-R

Agent
I do not think Universal would have anything to lose by releasing this set, I mean, it's more Galactica, and it was only 10 episodes (if you count the pilot as 3 seperate one hour episodes), you could have one quick featurette explaining problems the creators had with the show and/or the things they wanted to do with the show but could not, and maybe they could throw in archive material. Or, Universal could just release the episodes with no features at all, I'll take the show either way, just release it.

I actually like this show and would buy it on the release date. Sure, it's not the original Battlestar Galactica but it's much, much better than that new BSG mess. The reason that I like it is because I am not overly critical and I take the series as it is presented, sure, maybe it *could* of been better, but I take it as I see it and I really like the show.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

I'm with bob, I'd buy it on release day.
It's not my favorite version, but it's more BG and darn it at least it is better than the new crappy sci-fi channel show.

Hello, Hollywood Hacks....
It's StarBuck, not StarDoe!
If you're going to steal source material at get the genders right! :angry:

Britton

Screenwriter
Universal could get this one out on an inexpensive 2 disc set. Just put the first 8 episodes on a DVD-18 and then the final two on a DVD-5 with no extras.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'd pass. Thanks to the Sci-Fi marathon, I have the whole thing on tape. As low a likely of me rewatching it over the next few years, that's good enough.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

Gotta pay for those exquisite perms somehow! Plus, someone probably had some incriminating photos of him, too...

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Geez. What's with all this vitriol towards the new series? Since I'm in Canada and don't want to get spoilered, I've avoided the official thread. But really, what do you want? A complete clone of the original? :frowning:

Martin.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"What's with all this vitriol towards the new series?"

Namely the fact that the people responsible for this spat upon and screwed the fans of the original series big time by not only reinventing Galactica in the image of its detractors and removing *everything* that made the original speccial, they have also engaged in a consistent pattern of lying and deceit to justify their actions and this has included spreading more falsehoods about the original series than I can count.

"But really, what do you want? A complete clone of the original?"

In a word, yes, through continuation of the original storyline which is what we've been wanting to see for 25 years and which was taken from us at the last minute when the DeSanto-Singer project fell through and Moore, an outsider whose knowledge of Galactica consisted of 1 1/2 episodes watched in the last 25 years, then reinvented it in an insulting fashion.

Rutgar

Second Unit

Don't worry Martin, If you watch the new series with even a hint of an open mind, you will thouroughly enjoy it. And trust me, it's WAY better than G-80. In fact, I think it's even better that the original. And, I'm a fan of the original (I have the big Cylon Head Box-Set and everything). Luckily, the people that say otherwise, are in the minority, because the new series is getting very good ratings.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Hi,

Yes, they are finally running it here, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I love that it's different, but with the familiar elements. I do miss a couple of elements of the old series, but this new one more than makes up for it in originality. But sadly, no Wolfman Jack. :frowning: :D

Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks