What's new

FYI -- Indian Summer Pan & Scan (1 Viewer)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Well, I just bought Krippendorf's Tribe today based on the package label, so I guess it goes right back to Best Buy. Unfortunately it's too late to cancel my preorder for Indian Summer.

Looks like it's back to skipping all the Disney DVD's since they even lie on their packaging.

I have the disc in my player as we speak and I can CONFIRM that "Indian Summer" is infact in WIDESCREEN. It is a nice print with spectacular colors, BUT disppointingly it is not in anamorphic and there are NO extras at all. The cover is wrong it is NOT fullscreen.

It is however, superior to the laserdisc.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Crap...

I guess we need a new thread so people can state what the aspect ratio and enhancement status is on all of the 9/3 Disney releases...

Luckily I have my preorder for this, The Program and Captain Ron on hold. (attached to another disc in a couple weeks)

So if anyone has any other info, please post...

-Chad

Trevor Bateman

Stunt Coordinator
The picture and sound are far superior to the laserdisc. There is a bit of aliasing and the colors border on O.T.T. (which they always did), but it's a good print.

However, like everyone it's disappointing they didn't anamorphically enhance it, or offer any supplements. Still it's the best this film has looked outside the theater.

The bit where Bill Paxton tries to kiss Diane Lane is so, so funny. I'm sure guys can relate.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
I can confirm that the Canadian version is also 2.35 widescreen.

I tell you though, it was really hard buying a DVD that stated both "Fullscreen 1.33:1" and "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit your TV." I've never done that before.

I think I'll have to make a replacement cover....

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Is the Canadian version 16x9 anamorphic? If so...problem solved. You can call and complain to Disney and *still* buy a DVD worth watching.

-dave

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Is the Canadian version 16x9 anamorphic?
Question: how can I tell for sure? I only have a 4:3 36" television.

I do have a DVD drive in my computer. Is there some software that will indicate if anamorphic enhancement is enabled or not?

(A little of topic I realize, but if I knew, I'd be able to check the Canadian disc for everyone...)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
i don't think you'd be able to tell whether it's anamorphic or not on your tv, but you should be able to tell on your computer. pop the disc in, play the movie...and it'll display a 4:3 or a 16:9 image (when you're NOT in full screen). you should be able to tell right away.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Now that the disc is out, can anyone solidly confirm the aspect ratio? I was at Best Buy yesterday afternoon, but they didn't have any in stock -- they said it was on order.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I have had the disc for over a week and watched it through. The disc is a good quality NON-ANAMORPHIC 2.35:1 WIDESCREEN presentation despite what the cover says. It IS WIDESCREEN but it is NOT ANAMORPHIC ENHANCED. The sound is DD Stereo and there are no supplements. Personally, i thought the quality was fairly good for an older catalog title. What does anyone else think of the transfer quality?

I CAN CONFIRM THE ABOVE - a solid and colorful NON-ANAMORPHIC 2.35:1 WIDESCREEN disc.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I agree that non-anamorphic widescreen is better than pan & scan. I mean at least it's in it's original aspect ratio.

However, in my opinion there is no excuse nowadays to not have an anamorphic enhanced transfer. I mean come on!

Would anyone else like to comment on the transfer quality?

Steve,

Another way you can check to see if the disc is anamorphic (with a 4x3 monitor) without a computer is by going into the Setup menu of your DVD player and switching the TV aspect to 16:9. If you play the feature and the image looks stretched from top to bottom, then the feature is anamorphic.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What about the Canadian version? Sometimes there's a difference between the two even though they're both R1 (Good Will Hunting).

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Martin,

I think that Adam was just explaining to Steve for future reference, not because this title is still in question. I think that we believe you that it is non-anamorphic. I do appreciate the update anyway.

-Chad

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Sure thing guys. No problem.

I don't know about the Canadian version, but I'd be very, very surprised if there is any difference. If they are both (US and Canadian) Disney titles they would have done both the same. If they had an anamorphic transfer for Canadian release, why would they not issue it in the U.S.? Makes no sense to me.

I bet they are both non-anamorphic.

Does anyone have any opinions on the transfer and picture quality of the "Indian Summer" DVD?

Ron, could you do a review for us?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Well, as I said, stranger things have happened. Good will Hunting is a boni-fide 16x9 transfer in Canada R1 but just a crappy 4x3 lbx transfer in the U.S. That was before Disney was trying harder to be better with their DVD releases (4x3 lbxed Bugs Life) but still...worth finding out...

-dave

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Good will Hunting is a boni-fide 16x9 transfer in Canada R1 but just a crappy 4x3 lbx transfer in the U.S.
Maybe that is a bad example. I would say that the GWH discs look almost identical on my 16x9, with the RP-91 scaling on the non-anamorphic US disc.

-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks