What's new

FXX airing every Simpsons in a 544 episode marathon, started 10am today! (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
get

Oh my god, if they pulled a Poochie with all of his characters, it'd make my whole fucking year. But, they did say officially that they're just going to recast all of his roles.

Strictly from a creative standpoint, though...I kinda see where Shearer is coming from, a little bit. Maybe after a quarter of a century, he just wants to retire from a job that probably stopped being any fun more than a decade ago.

Who knows. Maybe they'll try to recast, fail miserably, and throw enough money Shearer's way that he comes back the following season. Stranger things have happened. But at this point, The Simpsons needs Shearer more than he needs The Simpsons.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Strictly from a creative standpoint, though...I kinda see where Shearer is coming from, a little bit. Maybe after a quarter of a century, he just wants to retire from a job that probably stopped being any fun more than a decade ago.
Yeah, I don't blame him for wanting to stop doing this or any show. He's got more money than he'll ever be able to spend and if he's not enjoying himself, why bother?

joshEH said:
Who knows. Maybe they'll try to recast, fail miserably, and throw enough money Shearer's way that he comes back the following season.
I just read that Al Jean said that they're recasting his characters. Considering that they probably can get literally the best voice talent in the world, I think they're going to get actors that come very close. Not perfect but close. Honestly, I think the show has bigger problems than Shearer not doing his half a dozen characters.

As for him coming back, I don't think that'll happen. I hate to gossip/speculate (but I'll do it anyway of course) but Shearer frequently comes off as a cranky old man in interviews so between that and neither side saying "We hope to work something...", I think they're probably half glad to be rid of him. Not to mention that if they pay Shearer more money, they piss off the rest of the cast.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
They danced around Shearer's assholish nature on the DVD commentary track for the Spinal Tap episode. There were a few nervous laughs, but they made it clear that Michael McKean and Christopher Guest were joys to work with.

And I think Al Jean said he was kind of an asshole when Shearer was badmouthing the show's creative direction a year or two back (though I was totally on Shearer's side with that one).

He probably should have retired in protest over the quality of the show fifteen years ago. Seeing the unending deterioration of the show over the years has been like watching a loved one wither away. The idea of The Simpsons without Shearer is weird, but it's not like the show's been any good for a long time anyhow.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
And I think Al Jean said he was kind of an asshole when Shearer was badmouthing the show's creative direction a year or two back (though I was totally on Shearer's side with that one).
Yeah, I certainly agree with Shearer's assessment of the show but it's a dick move to say that kind of thing publicly when you've worked with these people for many years and despite the decline, you still keep signing on every few years. Clearly, he still managed to keep cashing the checks he got for all those episodes that he didn't like but at least now that he's quit, he can criticize the show from a moral high ground. :)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"I, for one, wish to welcome our new voice-knockoff overlords..."

Can't believe they renewed it for another two years. I wonder if Seth MacFarlane is looking at this in despair, and going, "Oh my God, we're going to be here forever, aren't we?"

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
joshEH said:
Can't believe they renewed it for another two years. I wonder if Seth MacFarlane is looking at this in despair, and going, "Oh my God, we're going to be here forever, aren't we?"

So I'm not the only one who's pondering the validity of the "they're keeping it alive because they don't want Family Guy to outlast them" theory?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Any objections to me retitling this for general Simpsons discussion? We don't have one of those that I can find easily, if you know of a better one please link that!

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
As a long time fan who hasn't seen very many episodes in recent years, I think they should either retire his characters or end the show. Whomever replaces Shearer is just going to sound off, no matter how close they get.

I don't get the appeal of Family Guy, I tried watching it many times but just don't find it funny at all.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I don't get the appeal of Family Guy, I tried watching it many times but just don't find it funny at all.

By far the best parts are Brian and Stewie and whenever they do a "road" show musical it's tons of fun.

That being said, I enjoy "American Dad" more. Who wouldn't want Patrick Stewart as their boss?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks