What's new

FX premiere Fargo Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Finally got around to watching the finale and LOVED it. Overall, a GREAT season of television! Not to try to de-mystify the ending of Colin Hanks getting off scott-free from murdering Malvo in cold blood, since I'm fine with just looking at it as a non-reality based morality tale, but I think the Bemidji police could have EASILY "fixed" things to make it appear as a self-defense killing.

I REALLY hope another season is coming as long as the quality can keep up. Billy Bob will be missed, but there's plenty of great actors out there who could captivate us with a new characters. The majority of the Dexter seasons had unique villainous characters played superbly by great actors.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Tommy R said:
I REALLY hope another season is coming as long as the quality can keep up. Billy Bob will be missed, but there's plenty of great actors out there who could captivate us with a new characters. The majority of the Dexter seasons had unique villainous characters played superbly by great actors.
Absolutely. There are a lot of stories to be told in the Fargo universe.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Renewed for second season:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fargo-renewed-second-season-at-717095

Bring on Sioux Falls. Outside of Carradine in a bad wig, sitting on a porch protecting a young Molly, any thoughts for casting? Fassbender was the first that came to mind for some reason, but I'm sure there are closer matches out there. (Tom Hiddleston would rule.)

Hawley wrote all of the episodes of the first season, so if he's doing that again, it'll probably take more than a year for the show to be back. With Sons of Anarchy and Justified both ending this season, there's gonna be an empty slot for FX's fall and midseason schedules.

Hopefully FX doesn't rush Hawley, and just airs Fargo in one of these slots.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
FX just announced that Patrick Wilson is going to be playing the '70s version of Keith Carradine in Season 2.

Meanwhile, Nick Offerman's also been confirmed, along with Ted Danson, Jean Smart, Brad Garrett, Kieran Culkin, and Bokeem Woodbine (hell yeah) signed on (plus the previously-announced Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons):

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/08/fargo-cast/?hootPostID=5962155de3b42e3c3968eb747b1538d9

...Holy cow, that's a phenomenal cast so far.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife and I just recently finished watching Fargo (yup, we're behind the times). We both thought it was very well done. Good performances all around.

I think the character most transformed from where he was in the beginning to what he became, was Lester. He was something of a milk toast type person who became someone who was...more aggressive in his dealings with others. He changed from someone who murdered his wife as a spontaneous act to someone who sent his second wife to her death and knew he was doing it.

While Lester was never a person to admire, he became someone to despise.

My wife and I have both decided that the level of violence in the series is to much for US. It was just too graphic, too in-your-face, too realistic. This series was willing to kill anybody and we found the tension just too much. One season is enough.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My mother just started watching Everybody Loves Raymond and asked what Robert has been up to. I jokingly encouraged her to catch him in the next season of Fargo. I told her, "You just have to put up with extreme, shoving-people-into-woodchipper levels of violence." She demurred. :)

Noah Hawley's pretty good. Too bad none of you watched The Unusuals, which had a brief, brilliant life.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I finally got around to watching this show. I have to say that it was great TV. Really well done. I loved the evolution of the story.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, so here I am resurrecting this thread after a year of silence.

Why? Because I just binge watched the entire first season of Fargo in the past three days.

Amazing, amazing show. Right up there with Breaking Bad and The Wire, two shows that I feel set the bar for others to aspire to.

I have not gone back to read every post in this thread. That would be just too time consuming. So, I do have a few comments and questions here....

First, the show touts itself as being a true story, telling the events exactly as they happened, out of respect for those that died.

Based on that premise, it is hard for me to argue the total unbelievability of the events that occurred during this season. Then again, there are things that happen in life that are just beyond total craziness, that really did happen.

The one thing that was never explained --- and seems to be completely unbelievable --- is the fish falling from the sky and causing a fatal accident. If you are telling a true story with actual events, that's one implausible circumstance that was never explained. I don't buy the idea that God was involved in that act.

It's just crazy that the story unfolded exactly in this manner. Too crazy to be real -- but -- there it is.

One thing that took me 8 episodes to realize......

Lester. Played by the guy that did The Hobbit. I never recognized the actor while he had the silver hair (though something about him seemed familiar). It wasn't until he changed his appearance a year later that I recognized the actor as who he was.

I will be starting a binge watch of Season Two over the next day or so. Want to get ready for Season 3.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I never saw season one, but watched season two & just loved it (& bought the US Blu-ray, it wasn't released on Blu in the UK), I also bought season one, but I haven't got around to watching it yet. It's first up after Game Of Thrones s6, so around mid-January I'd think, so much great stuff to look at.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, Bryan, whadda you know.

Still, it pisses me off that this TV show went under an explicit premise of being a true story, told as it had occurred.

That's not fair to the viewer.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The character Molly Solverson was so well written. The perfect mix of sweet, and strong. The show was fine but Alison Tolman's performance elevated the series for me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Still, it pisses me off that this TV show went under an explicit premise of being a true story, told as it had occurred.

I believe I have read that the movie is not based on a true story, that was just a device used by the Cohen's. I think it's likely that inspired the series creator to do the same. We knew this about the movie when we watched season 1 and did not buy into the "true" claim.

My wife and I both felt compelled to watch the whole season once we started even though we did not enjoy the level of violence. It was an excellent series but does not suit our tastes.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

It's a story telling device not that dissimilar to an unreliable narrator. The "true story" nature is arguably even more important for one particular scene in season 2, which I won't spoil since you may not have seen that season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks