What's new

Future Hanna-Barbera DVDs (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge

In regards to SD/DH, I think WHV should've delayed its final release by six months or so to give more time for searching for the original credits.

~Ben

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Boomerang is widely available to Time Warner subscribers, but I believe its a premium digital channel. We've had it for years here.

I'd love to see a standalone DVD release of Pixie and Dixie & Mr. Jinks.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'd also like me some PIXIE & DIXIE, but what I'd really like most from Warner's H-B library is the supremely weird THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968), which, though later recycled as fodder for THE BANANA SPLITS AND FRIENDS, was originally a stand-alone prime-time show, like THE FLINTSTONES, THE JETSONS and JONNY QUEST. Because of this, it had higher production values than the average HB show from the late 1960s. In basic concept (though minus the dinosaurs and sci-fi), it anticipated LAND OF THE LOST by six years.

Boomerang used to run it (up until a few years ago), but there it was missing its live-action opening sequence (which sort of explained why these Mark Twain characters ended up in ancient Greece, the South Seas, Lilliput, etc), probably due to it being cut-and-pasted into THE BANANA SPLITS, and only ran (over and over) half of the series' 20 episodes.

Info:

Toon Tracker's New Adventures of Huck Finn Page

"The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" (1968)

The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interview with series co-star Luann Haslam:

Beyond Becky Thatcher: the Life and Times of LuAnn Haslam!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I wonder if some of these will pop up in the WARNER ARCHIVE when they branch out into TV shows and Animation.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Over at Amazon.com they have a page for Huckleberry Hound Volume 2 asking people to sign up to be notified when it is released. They also have a page for Quick Draw McGraw. I encourage people from this forum to put in their e-mail addresses at Amazon.com to let WHV know that there really is interest in seeing these two titles released.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

This is also listed at HMV:

hmv.com: dvd: Banana Splits & Friends Show: Complete Season 1: 6dvd (2009)

and they have a "trailer," which is actually the syndicated "Banana Splits And Friends Show" opening titles (not "The Banana Splits Adventure Hour," which was the original title of the show). If these are the syndicated cut-downs as aired on Boomerang, then the quality will be excellent, but there will be a couple minutes missing from each show. (The show was originally one hour.) Not only that, the "trailer" is cropped for widescreen. If you want to get really nitpicky, the show opening (with the theme song) is completely butchered, and the footage is actually from the Season 2 opening and closing (so the credits are wrong). But the biggest issue will be the missing footage (and OAR). This does not bode well.

At least that's the impression I get from what's on that page -- I'd love to be wrong on this.

It's frustrating, because Warner Bros. has a set of the 18 complete one-hour shows, in their correct running order with the original Season 1 opening and closing, in 16mm. They also have a set of one-inch video masters of the same shows, but a different version (re-edited for later Saturday morning reruns, so they would have the Season 2 opening, closing and bumpers and a few other changes). It was this set of video masters which were being looked at a few years ago for US DVD release -- ultimately they ended up cancelling the project because of some picture quality issues with the tape dubs.

In short, it looks like they're pulling a Scooby Doo/Dynomutt on us.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
the 6 dvd element is what's strange since they don't need that many discs for it unless their going to put barely 2 hours on each disc.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I think they are going to include 24 episodes, but what do I know. This would include Season1 and Season 2. Also, sometimes shows get a different name in the U.K. than they do in the USA. For example, when "Top Cat" first aired in Britain it was called "Boss Cat" because there was already a character on TV called Top Cat. Later, this got changed when the other character lost popularity. Another example is "Batman Beyond". In England it was called "Batman of the Future" as opposed to the American title.

I do not know if this is true also for the Banana Splits in the U.K., but I am going to be optimistic and judge the set in September when it comes out.

By the way, Mark, your mailbox is full at our other forum location, but I'll answer your question here. The set, including postage, is costing me about $30 USD.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Has it ever been said the 1973 version won't be released? They haven't followed any kind of release pattern for the various seasons of Super Friends so I don't see what the issue is. We get product almost like clockwork every single year. Do you honesty think Warner will just skip the first iteration?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

It makes complete sense to release the '73 series last since it's really not as good as the later years as far as villains and stories.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
But the Season 2 of the Banana Splits isn't much of a season. They included new live action bits by the Splits, but they just reran the same animated cartoons and Danger Island. They didn't do any new songs. The bits would be fun to watch. But there's probably less than 80 minutes of new footage.

Joe:C

Second Unit
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a (Ruby-Spears)Thundarr the Barbarian release.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN is a show from H-B I'd like to see released,too!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks