1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Futurama 11/17/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Gereghty, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

Nibbler being at the cyro place was brought up a few seasons ago and I believe it will play a part in future epsiodes. I don't remember if you actually see him in the pilot but he was there. There was a pretty funny episode about his origins once which explains this a little further.

Today I got my Season 2 DVDs. Wooohooo.

2. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

My wife and I hated the ending...

We are such animal lovers... It broke our hearts...

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Screenwriter

I didn't notice that.

I do remember that this episode was mentioned in the commentary for one of the episodes on the Season 1 DVD set. (There is a photograph of Bender in his magic outfit, and someone mentions that he has a magic act again in a future episode.)

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    it was a very sad episode
    but i loved it.
    it did also remind me
    of the ep about frys' brother.

it was about how loyal that dog was and if fry's parents weren't such dolts the wuole thing would have been avoided.

including no show too.

5. BrianW

BrianW Screenwriter

Brian
    Seeing that broken-hearted pooch close his eyes for the last time really did me in.
    It was a great episode, but I can't believe how it has affected me. I'm going to have a serious lump in my throat for the rest of the day, if not the better part of the week.

--------------------

"Though it take forever, I will wait for you..."

6. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Screenwriter

7. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Yeah I enjoyed the episode but I was also very surprised at how sad it was.

8. Jim Meeks

Jim Meeks Extra

Yeah.. I'm sure it was done to either to stir up some print, or to let off some of the writers' steam after writing comedy (Simpsons)for 14 years...

But it really hit me.. in a "Cat's in the Cradle" sorta way.

9. BrianW

BrianW Screenwriter

Brian
    The irony in this episode hinges on a minor plot contrivance: Because they have the ability to clone Seymour with his memories intact, Fry has the ability to reward Seymour for his amazing loyalty, but chooses not to for reasons he considers to be in the dog’s best interest. Without the ability to restore the dog’s memories, the story would not have had the same impact, because there would have been no lost opportunity to reward Seymour for being such a good dog for the past twelve years.
    Also ironic is the fact that Matt G. is probably laughing at us now because we’re getting all sappy about a dog with a broken heart when the real tragedy is that a man was frozen for a thousand years, and his friends and family didn’t seem to care much.

10. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

I loved it. It actually moved me more than most of the "drama" that's on TV now. And the way they executed it was just mesmerizing and really makes me respect what these guys do. Just like the Fry's brother, Leela and Fry relationship that could have happened if not for the Supernova, and the Leela episode where she tries to find the rest of her kind or the one with her parents episodes this one had a touch of drama while still being pretty funny. For guys just working on a simple cartoon sitcom they are pretty good directors and I hope they work on some other stuff after Fox stupidly shitcans this show.

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    your right brianw....from my post above..

12. BrianW

BrianW Screenwriter

Brian
    Yeah, great minds think alike, Tony. And apparently, so do yours and mine. [​IMG]
    I'd also like to echo what Duane said about this episode being more moving than most drama on television. It's such a shame that so good an effort gets such a bad deal from the network.
    And when I said "plot contrivance," I didn't mean that in a bad way. Plot contrivances are just tools writers use to hopefully good effect. I actually thought the ability to restore Seymour's memories was a clever way to maximize the ironic impact of Fry's final decision.