1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Funny Girl Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Richard Gallagher, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I had a free evening so I was able to finally watch this. It IS a beautiful transfer with sensational color control and sharpness. Congratulations for one of the best transfers of the year (so far).

2. Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings Well-Known Member

Everett
    I agreed,very sad.

3. Everett Stallings

Everett
    What you saw was the RoadShow version, which has never been on TV or home video.

4. Everett Stallings

Everett
    There's a slight blip near the end of the song "My Man" both sound and picture jump!, I will check my DVD version, though I think this is something new.

5. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    Was it really necessary to quote the entire review to tell us that?

6. Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I just watched that song again, and I don't see or hear anything amiss. Would you mind giving me the exact time of the blip you are referring to?

7. Virgoan

Virgoan Well-Known Member

Ron Pulliam
    Utterly glorious transfer. Wonderful film.

A note not meant to create any discord: I have seen an alternate version of "Funny Girl" that makes a montage of the gambling room footage (with Nick going to a back room to play poker when he should have been in Fanny's first-night audience for a new Ziegfeld show) and the scenes of Fanny's "Swan Lake" number.

Something similar happened with "Gigi", as well. Someone at MGM made a montage out of Louis Jourdan's "walk" past a fountain at night after returning Gigi to her grandmother. Various shots of Gigi in her school uniform, her bathing costume, and her first appearance in a gown were intercut during that sequence while the orchestra performed its non-vocal version of the title tune. In the original theatrical cut, only Jourdan was on the screen (and it was most effective with just him, IMO).

8. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Isn't that the montage that was put together for the Gigi excerpts in That's Entertainment? It sure sounds like it.

9. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    No, TE has the "Gigi" instrumental reprise found near the end of the film. What the earlier poster was referring to was a video version that made the rounds of cable and video back in the 1980's. During the instrumental portion of the initial song, when Jourdan is not singing, there was a video montage of still shots of Leslie Caron as Gigi. I doubt it was ever found on any release print as it looked rather video-generated. If you come across an old 80s video or laserdisc, you may see it, but it doesn't turn up anymore, thankfully.

10. Virgoan

Ron Pulliam
    Ah, that's right...it was during the song rather than the post-Maxim's walk at night.

11. noel aguirre

noel aguirre Well-Known Member

noel
    What about Oliver?

12. Cineman

Cineman Well-Known Member

David B.
    Wasn't that a cable/television broadcaster's idea of a "fix" for some source material film damage, flashes and glitches during that sequence in the pre-digital era? I vaguely remember seeing one of those pro-Letterbox directors commenting on it as an example of the same kind of liberties taken to pan&scan widescreen movies taken to an even more outrageous level. There were some flashes and glitches in the film during the sequence, so the broadcasters decided they could cover them with a montage they put together themselves. Again, I only vaguely remember this being reported when digital fixes came onto the scene and they were touting them as a much better alternative to damaged source material than had been applied in the past.

13. Rob W

Rob W Well-Known Member

Robert

14. Everett Stallings

Everett
    2:33.14 It's really no big deal, but it's there.

15. Everett Stallings

Everett
    Yes, Iam very old!

16. bjwmovies

bjwmovies Active Member

Brian
    regarding Striesand's involvement, i know she was very involved prior to the restoration years back for the DVD - i read she would preview samples and reject them and send them back to the lab. of course she was interested in this new restoration and especially restoring in keeping with in Wyler's original look, this is her crown jewel and Wyler's, with extras i believe she does not see the worth, commentary etc as maybe she feels the film should stand on it's own and represent what was seen when it was released 1968, none of these extras were needed 1968, just promo material, no need to promote a classic, just let it stand on it's own as the film now does as it has been properly restored on blu ray, maybe she feels there is no need to have talking heads along for the ride on the BR to validate it, any worthy FG memoirs maybe she will save for a book as she has already and she always praised Wyler for the masterpiece.

17. Virgoan

Ron Pulliam
    With all due respect, I believe "Ben-Hur" is Wyler's "crown jewel." I also don't know to what Streisand has to say over how this film is presented. It was her first film, and I seriously doubt she has any ownership or say-so unless she worked a deal later. It would be interesting to find out, though.

18. Virgoan

Ron Pulliam
    No matter how many times I watch "The Roller Skate Rag", I find it hysterically funny. You'd think I'd tire of it, but I don't. Everything looks so spontaneous and unplanned. It's really a marvelous accomplishment.

19. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Speaking of that number, it's fairly common knowledge that a roller skate number was planned for the original stage version (the show's official logo pictures Fanny upside down on skates) but they couldn't work out the logistics. Was the song in the movie the song that was planned for the stage?

20. bryan4999

bryan4999 Well-Known Member

Bryan Forbes
    No. The rollerskate song intended for the stage show was called "I Did It On Rollerskates", the movie song was created later for the film. Apparently, Styne-Merrill composed over 50 songs for Funny Girl. The show went through quite a development period; the excellent site barbra-archives.com goes into quite a bit of detail and is worth reading through the Funny Girl pages if you are interested. That site also has sound clips of Omar Sharif's cut number "Pink Velvet Jail" and many other treasures.