What's new

Funny Girl (Blu-ray) available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Garysb said:
Twilight Time or Olive films or any 3rd party that releases studio films with the exception of Criterion can only release what the original studio has available. They do not produce new content. Criterion is the only 3rd party that produced or obtained substantial extras. It is a shame that many of the extra produced by Criterion for laser disk for classic films such as Here Comes Mr Jordan , Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, and many others never made it to DVD or blu ray. The late Ron Haver's commentaries and interviews, for example, would be great to have. I don't have a problem paying a premium price for Criterion and usually wait for the 50% off sales at Barnes and Noble. I do have a problem paying the price that Twilight Time charges with no chance of a sale. I am surprised that Columbia doesn't think The Way We Were could sell more than 3000 copies. I guess I will settle for the DVD and HD showings on HDNET or wherever it shows up.
Correct, but Sony has been supplying Twilight with extras. I doubt that Sony would add anything to their release that that would not give to Twilight. Now if you are complaining about the Twilight cost then that is a whole other issue that has been covered to death. With Twilight releasing BLUE LAGOON, STEEL MAGNOLIAS, and AS GOOD AS IT GETS I certainly see THE WAY WE WERE and FUNNY LADY heading there. With or without Sony extras. .

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think Babs is still popular enough that home video can support all her old movies. And btw--I want to add Yentl to the list--

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ethan Riley said:
I think Babs is still popular enough that home video can support all her old movies. And btw--I want to add Yentl to the list--
I would have agreed with you until Twilight released AS GOOD AS IT GETS, Jack Nicholson and Best Picture winner still has not sold out

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by ahollis
I would have agreed with you until Twilight released AS GOOD AS IT GETS, Jack Nicholson and Best Picture winner still has not sold out
Of course, it didn't win Best Picture though it was nominated. I believe that was the TITANIC year.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I was talking about Barbra Steisand's fan base; not Twilight's sales of "As Good As It Gets."

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
. With Twilight releasing BLUE LAGOON, STEEL MAGNOLIAS, and AS GOOD AS IT GETS I certainly see THE WAY WE WERE and FUNNY LADY heading there. With or without Sony extras. .
As Babsdude, Mark Howe, who runs the barbra archives website, stated above that he had heard they were going to Twilight Time, they most probably are. By the way his website is a must visit place on the web for any Streisand fan. Great stuff there including descriptions and pictures of what was cut from Funny Girl and On A Clear Day. http://barbra-archives.com

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ethan Riley said:
I was talking about Barbra Steisand's fan base; not Twilight's sales of "As Good As It Gets."
I hear you Ethan, but Sony is looking at those sales and not at Barbara's fan base when making their decisions.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Why would they be looking at the sales of a Jack Nicholson movie when considering the same distributor for a Barbra Streisand movie? I don't follow. If they firmly feel that nobody can sell more than 3,000 copies of a Funny Lady blu-ray, then all right then. But that still has nothing to do with "As Good As It Gets."

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Sorry did not make myself clear but they would look at actual sales numbers for their titles and compare them to what they they think Funny Lady or The Way We Were would do. If they use those numbers as base then that is were the title goes, Twilight or Sony. Not necessarily what a stars fan base would be. They evidently feel that Funny Girl will sell more than 3000 copies and I am glad. They seem to be waffling on the sales numbers for the other two titles. I used As Good As It Gets as an example for when it was announced the forum blew up with posts saying it would sell out immediately and how could Sony release that title to twilight and the pictures fan base is way over the 3000 Blu-rays pressed. The same things are being said about The Way We Are as was said about As Good As It Gets. I am sure they also are looking at past sales numbers of the DVDs. Funny Lady was not the best received film of Miss Streisand though it did do business. This is not to disrespect Babs or her fans in anyway. Funny Girl, Hello Dolly, Funny Lady and The Way We Were will be mine when released.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Allen, your comments are dead on. Here at the forum we are all fans of classic movies and we tend to overestimate the general public's interest. I've heard George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video say that catalog titles just do not sell very well on Blu-ray. I think part of it is the misconception a lot of people have that "old" films don't benefit in the format and they choose not to re-buy what they already own on DVD. While I still haven't pulled the trigger on As Good As It Gets simply because at $31.25, it is over-priced, I would have paid that for Funny Girl! As it is I am dancing on the ceiling to be getting Funny Girl for a mere 15 bucks!

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I agree here .... most of the Streisand fans have bought Barbra's movie catalog on DVD. A lot don't own a Blu-ray. The studios -- in this instance -- are getting into double-dipping with the fans. They really have to make it special. For instance, the Streisand STAR IS BORN Blu-ray from Warners is gorgeous, however, all of the bonus material was on the DVD that came out a few years ago, and the bonus stuff is not even HD. For some, there is no reason to upgrade/buy again.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Joe Caps
It bothers me abut the extras that we are not HEARING ABUT FOR THESE FEATURES.
sony does have the garden scene and the coplete Swan Lake Number.
Fox was working on at least an hour long documnetray on the making of Hello Dollyfor the sd, but it was not included.
I know many people who were interviewed for that Doc.
It's been saide that Streisand herself has all of the cut scenes from On a clear Day. Some really internesting numbers there.
I've been unable to find anything about extras for either Funny Girl or Dolly. Considering Sony doesn't seem to be interested in new extras for any catalog titles other than Lawrence of Arabia, I'm not optimistic on that front. But I really hope we'll see that Dolly documentary someday or at least something of substance related to its production history from those who were actually there.
I heard about those Clear Day cut scenes, but didn't you try to find them when you worked for Pioneer? How would Barbra have gotten copies of them? I heard Jack Nicholson was supposed to have his own song (I've never seen the film or the play).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by MatthewA
I've been unable to find anything about extras for either Funny Girl or Dolly. Considering Sony doesn't seem to be interested in new extras for any catalog titles other than Lawrence of Arabia, I'm not optimistic on that front. But I really hope we'll see that Dolly documentary someday or at least something of substance related to its production history from those who were actually there.
I heard about those Clear Day cut scenes, but didn't you try to find them when you worked for Pioneer? How would Barbra have gotten copies of them? I heard Jack Nicholson was supposed to have his own song (I've never seen the film or the play).
Nicholson definitely had a song: "Who Is There Among Us Who Knows." I heard it on an LP of cut musical numbers released decades ago. In fact, it was one of a series of LPs called "Cut!"

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by MattH. http://www.hometheaterforum.com
Nicholson definitely had a song: "Who Is There Among Us Who Knows." I heard it on an LP of cut musical numbers released decades ago. In fact, it was one of a series of LPs called "Cut!"
Jack Nicholson did have the song "Who is there among us who Knows" and it was on the LP of cut numbers you referred to. There was also a version of "She isn't You" sung by Montand and "When We're 65" sung by Streisand both which appeared on the radio LP of the "On a Clear Day" soundtrack released before th film was cut.
I know these exist because at one point I had a tape of them. The actual film footage appears to be lost, unless Streisand has them - though she has never released them and has stated she wasn't happy with the cuts in the theatrical released version of the film. The soundtrack of the songs could at least be included if the studio wanted, but there could be rights issues they do not want to deal with.
I have seen the Swan Lake number and the garden scene cut from "Funny Girl" (the garden scene added nothing) Shariff's song was also recorded and it's not very good. I do not know if "Who taught her everything she knows" was ever filmed (the photos could be from a rehearsal. Anne Francis said her scenes were re-shot without her and they too probably no longer exist. Since Streisand appears in many of the cuts, one would think she would have asked to have them released at one point, so maybe they don't exist any longer

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well it's out next week. Anyone seen this yet That wants to talk? Looking forward to interesting discussions as there was on Hello Dolly.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
ahollis said:
Well it's out next week. Anyone seen this yet That wants to talk? Looking forward to interesting discussions as there was on Hello Dolly.
A screener from Sony just arrived. I hope to have the review up by Friday evening.

There are just two extras, both of which have been released previously. "Barbara in Movieland" is described as a "behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film" and "This is Streisand" is about the early years of her career. Apparently both of these appeared on the 2001 DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Richard Gallagher said:
A screener from Sony just arrived. I hope to have the review up by Friday evening.There are just two extras, both of which have been released previously. "Barbara in Movieland" is described as a "behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film" and "This is Streisand" is about the early years of her career. Apparently both of these appeared on the 2001 DVD.
Great looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks