1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

FUNNY FACE and SABRINA Eye Popping Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by kagemusha98, May 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kagemusha98

kagemusha98 Well-Known Member

I just watched FUNNY FACE and SABRINA Blu-rays which I bought in Paris a few days ago. The transfers, especially with the Vistavision Funny Face are spectacular! "Think Pink" practically looks 3D! Goods news is that they will play on my Region A Blu Ray player.

2. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Is SABRINA a widescreen transfer?

3. kagemusha98

No SABRINA is 1.33. Great B&W transfer....First shot after credits is a bit blurry but that about a minute....then sharp and detailed.

4. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John
    I read this on another forum (apologies in advance for the language):
    Can't comment; I haven't seen it.

5. haineshisway

haineshisway Well-Known Member

Bruce
    It's on its way to me, as is Sabrina. My fear with every Paramount title now, especially the VistaVision stuff is that they've let Ron Smith go - he was responsible for The Ten Commandments, White Christmas, and Tiffany's, all stellar and wonderful transfers. I have no idea what others he did and didn't work on and there seems to be a large disconnect here between these sets of comments, but my fear is that the regime now doing everything at Paramount has no interest in doing any further restoration work or new scanning, hence the Chinatown transfer.

6. NY2LA

NY2LA Well-Known Member

You think the departure of Mr. Smith is why they f-ed up My Fair Lady and left the overture off Scrooge?

7. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Well-Known Member

Luke J. Chung
    Both those titles were controlled by CBS, not Paramount. Ron Smith would've had nothing to do with either one of them whether he'd stayed or not!!! Paramount was only handling distribution...

8. RKR1970

RKR1970 Active Member

A DCP of FUNNY FACE was screened at the TCM Classic Film Festival this past April coming from 4k scans of the 8-perf OCN. Sorry to report it was scrubbed to death, very smeary, with color pumped up to 14. Mr. Smith started this project early on, but Andrea Kalas, VP of Archives, supervised color and grain management on the new FUNNY FACE restoration. Will THE QUIET MAN and SUNSET BOULEVARD, titles Ms. Kalas and her team are working on now, have these same issues? Time will tell.
    MY FAIR LADY and SCROOGE were handled by CBS mastering, not Paramount.

9. kagemusha98

Well...I can see every wrinkle and line on Kay Thompson's face.....I had never seen that on any other incarnation of FUNNY FACE.

10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

[​IMG]
    SABRINA began filming in late September 1953, 6 months after Paramount went 100% widescreen.
    According to Boxoffice, the aspect ratio is 1.75:1.

11. haineshisway

Bruce
    While no one laments the loss of Ron Smith more than I, if he began this I'll wait and see the disc - why would they need to "scrub" a 4K scan off the VistaVision negative? There would be little grain, which was the point of VistaVision. In other words, exactly what are they scrubbing? Grain would be EXTREMELY fine and not so visible off the original negative.

12. RKR1970

RKR1970 Active Member

His involvement was sending the negative over to Technicolor for scanning and that was it. The last title Mr. Smith worked on fully was SAMSON AND DELILAH
    Fred and Audrey look plastic, close-ups were smooth, waxy, and movement was smeared at times, with no trace of any grain on the screen. The normal tight grain structure you would see from a 5248 negative, in 8-perf, was completely removed. If you have seen Ron’s restored THE TEN COMMANDMENTS projected from DCP, it looked nothing like that. I’m truly puzzled by Paramount’s handling of this title.

13. haineshisway

Bruce
    Well, I'll let you know what I think after I've seen it - it should be here mid-week.

14. RKR1970

RKR1970 Active Member

I'm sure you will :D

15. flixyflox

flixyflox Member

John please feel free to ascribe the quote to its author, language and all. (Im not that precious when it comes to misadventures like this transfer.)

16. flixyflox

flixyflox Member

Ive just seen a 720p HDTV of Sunset Blvd. It looks very good in this resolution, good grain, good black levels, and considering the issues with weak dupe elements I think it's very pleasing, and these 720ps are usually a very reliable indicator of 1080p BD quality. It's better than Sabrina for instance which I think has issues with softness and rez..

17. John Hodson

John Hodson Well-Known Member

John
    Apologies David; it's precisely the fact that I think you know of what you speak that I quoted you in the first instance.
    I've also seen a broadcast HD version Sunset Blvd (in 1080i); it looked very good.

18. RKR1970

RKR1970 Active Member

SUNSET BOULEVARD is being re-restored now. You're seeing the older HD master on TV.

19. bigshot

bigshot Well-Known Member

Stephen
    I saw the French Funny Face bluray too, and on my projection system it was absolutely stunning. Amazing looking film with incredible color. Tons of detail.

20. gonda

gonda Member

Is there an English subtitle for these movies?