1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Screen? Why do they Lie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Well-Known Member

The Cover Art for Cats & Dogs the Pan and Scan Version conviently Deceives the public with the Misnomer "Full Screen" , makes you think your getting gibbed does'nt it?

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Well-Known Member

I think it's because they had poor focus group results with their previous "Sucker Edition" labeling.

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Well-Known Member

Well, technically, it is full screen. The film was shot open matte. However, most cgi effects are done in the intended theatrical ratio, so any shot with the cgi cats or dogs will be cropped to some extent. That means most of the film. That is, unless the animators composed the shots for 4:3 as well, which I suppose is possible. Any way you look at it, non-OAR sucks!

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Well-Known Member

What about if you own a 16x9 TV. Then it's not full screen, nor is it "formatted to fit your TV".
    ------------------
    Kyle³
    ------------------
    Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Well-Known Member

Rachael Bellomy
    Shouldn't films that have been reduced dow to fill your screen be called "partial-screen"?
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

6. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Well-Known Member

It's certainly a lot better than DVDs which have the nerve to call it, "Standard".

7. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Well-Known Member

Well, "Standard" is kinda true, if you do a head count of those with regular, non-widescreen TVS... but it still sucks.
    What I'd like to know, is how many housewives are calling up with crying babies in the background, telling the executives that those black bars have ruined her week and that they're going to hell for it? That's got to be the reason , right?
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Most 1.85:1 films are shot at 1.37:1 on film.
    In fact, most prints are printed at the same ratio...
    Here's the exceptions:
    Any film with a ratio higher than 1.85:1, not counting Super-35 films (more on that later).
    Hard-matted films (such as Aliens and The Terminator, which were hard-matted to 1.85:1 in-camera.)
    SOME films with CGI sequences that are 1.85:1. I wouldn't be surprised if a film such as Cats & Dogs had the CGI sequences composed at 1.33:1 since the video release is coming so soon.
    Films made before 1952, with VERY little exception. A few 65mm films were made around 1930 that actually are on DVD in widescreen!
    Many popular films were filmed open matte such as Fantasia 2000, Airplane!, Jurassic Park (although CGI sequences WERE hard-matted.)
    Willy Wonka is a recent example of an open matte film. Don't belive the BS that the fullframe version is pan & scan. People who say that the movie was cropped in some shots are referring to the older open matte DVD which is a totally different transfer. After all, the people who said the new DVD is pan & scan didn't see the new transfer. (I'm waiting for the matted version, of course.)
    If you want to get technical, Ultra Panavision 70 films are open matte on 70mm. Movies like 2001 and Lawrence of Arabia are FULLFRAME on DVD. It's just about which frame size you're talking about. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Well-Known Member

10. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Well-Known Member

11. William Ward

William Ward Well-Known Member

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Well-Known Member

13. frank manrique

frank manrique Well-Known Member

Patrick,
    Fantasia 2000 was shot in IMAX, wasn't it (except the Mickey Mouse animated segment from the original movie, which originated from 35mm film)?
    Disney made quite a deal about actually building an IMAX theater in Los Angeles, California for the opening exhibitions since the IMAX theater chain refused to accept Disney's terms of their exhibition requirements.
    I saw it in IMAX at the Luxor in Las Vegas last year...
    -THTS

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Fantasia 2000 was shot on IMAX (except for Sorceror's Apprentice) at 1.85:1 (open matte) and it was composed to look good at IMAX 1.33:1 AND 35mm 1.85:1
    I saw the movie in IMAX and the DVD is simply matted.
    The only difference is that The Sorceror's Apprentice is windowboxed on the 35mm version (although to roughly 1.55:1) and the IMAX version simply blows the image up to IMAX size.
    No offense to the visually impaired, but Disney must have had Mr. Magoo "OK" the 35mm to IMAX blowup of The Sorceror's Apprentice. The segment looked awful on the IMAX screen!
    This is why the 35mm and DVD versions look so good...65mm photography! Also, the fact that the whole movie except for "TSA" used some CGI elements made Disney output the film back to film using a datacine.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.

15. Scott H

Scott H Well-Known Member

quote: Aliens was indeed shot in Super 35.[/quote]
    And was not hard-matted in the camera.
    quote: Most 1.85:1 films are shot at 1.37:1 on film.[/quote]
    Technically, 1.85:1 films are shot at 1.85:1 with a typical exposed aperture of 1.37:1. Except for conventionally optically aligned 35mm cameras shooting with 2:1 anamorphic lenses most all 35mm films are matted from the exposed aperture to the intended frame, which is what they are shot at no matter the exposed aperture. Nearly every film is shot open-matte, few films are hard-matted in the camera, however they are framed and composed to the intended AR delineated on the ground glass and conformed to by the framing leader.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.
    [Edited last by Scott H on September 29, 2001 at 03:57 PM]