What's new

Full range floor standing kits (1 Viewer)

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Hiya.

I've inherited a bunch of mdf from one of our construction sites (I'm a contractor), and have a wild hair to try a DIY kit.

I currently have the Axiom M22's on stands with the 150 center and some in ceiling rears and a Hsu STF-2 sub.

I enjoy the M22's, but they do seem lacking as mains for full range music, and are a bit thin at times.

I haven't read the 1000's of pages of DIY threads and info (yet), but am more interested in just finding a kit for now. I don't want to get into the entire acoustical design realm yet. I do have a small but full wood shop though in my garage.

Anyway, most kits I've found through searches, or posts I've read, either refer to one or both of these factors: smaller bookshelves for stands, or "cheap" kits for the starving student.

I'd like a full range setup that doesn't require a sub, but would obviously be helped by one for the LFE of movies.
I must admit though that I want the "full range" portion for two channel music.

AND, I'm willing to spend upwards of $800 for the parts if needed.

4ohm is fine, I will pick up a dedicated 4ohm stable amp if that is the case.

Ideas? Links?

Thanks!! :D

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I second the Extremis based builds. The Extremis is a world class driver and at $99 it's a serious bargain. I can't think of a 6.5" driver that can touch it and that includes the $200+ DST drivers. I built a two-way with a Morel tweeter that hit -3db at 36 Hz! What's just as amazing is that while this driver is pumping out the bass it's handling piano and vocals as if it was a separate mid.

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks for the replies, I've had a fun time so far drooling over the kits.

One quick question though: It looks like Adire hasn't released any kits of its own yet using the Extremis.

Are there other designers (private or otherwise) that are releasing specs and plans so that I can build an Extremis based speaker without doing all the engineering?

AllanRW

Second Unit
Kits

On the kits you can find a lot of info on the CSS site now.
With plans.
If you see something not listed feel free to send me a email.

The 261 in Tigerwood as shown are what my wife now wants in here family room :D
But she wants Rosewood.:emoji_thumbsup:

Al

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Al,

Somehow I missed your rawcoustics link below the first time.

That is what I was missing when looking for kits!

and Tim,

That makes more sense now about Adire and their development.

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
I second the North Creek Rhythms. I have had mine about 4 years now, and I don't even think about other speakers.

Well, maybe I experimented with a set of cheap line arrays, but they are gone. . .

For $1000, the rhtyhm is a heck of a speaker.

Brian

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Al,
By the way, how do the LCR's sound, and how do they compare with the 261's you built?

The LCR's are pretty sweet looking.
And after re-reading your post at htguide, I'm looking forward to seeing the other forthcoming kits. :D

Brian,

Which Rhythm kit did you build, and how is your room/speaker setup?

The Rhythms, and their other high end kit (name?) seemed to require a bunch of rear space from the wall.

No-can-do at my house unfortunately.

AllanRW

Second Unit
The LCR is a design to look up to for very very clear, detailed rich mids.With the low end responce of the 261.
I have only listened to the LCR mono at Adire but am finishing 3 of them for Dan now and a few for Bob(CSS).
In a week or so I shall have more of a idea of how they sound as a pair.But still the single LCR I listened to was well done by Dan.;)
If money was not a issue between the 2 I would go to the LCR.

Al

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Couple more questions of the LCR:

The drawings seem to show it ported on one side, but the 2 mids share the same volume, more or less. Is that right?
Is porting optional?

Reason being, as I posted earlier, I don't have a huge amount of clearance between the speaker and wall behind.

And is this design obviously just meant to tip on its side to be the center without any further mods/

Oh, and last but not least, what is the Impedance and power rec's out of curiousity.

I was going to get an additional Rotel 2 channel amp to run 2 new mains in 4-ohm, but with an LCR config, I would obviously have to find something to power the center equally as well.

AllanRW

Second Unit
Geoff
- the cabinet is rear ported not side ported
- as well the CSS125S is sealed for a design reason
- front ported not a option for the size of the port

The frequency responce along with all other data will come soon.
We have to finish a single design first.

Once they are ready you will find them on CSS

Al

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks Allan.

I should have said "rear", I was looking at the cutaway plan view at the time from that pdf file. (i had rotated the file to read the text).

And sorry for all the detailed questions, I didn't realize that you all were still much in the design phase.

...well, I will definitely await this new line! :emoji_thumbsup:

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I have to second Al's vote for the upcoming Adire/Exodus kits. I have also heard the LCR and I was blown away. I was all set (even have the MDF cut) to build the 261's then I heard the LCR at Adire... man that is a smooth sounding speaker with a crap load of low end. Now I'm going to pony up the extra $200 and go for the LCR's. Build these you will not be sorry!

-EJ

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator

I built the unlimiteds with the 9500 tweeter. Kit was $1500. I actually have mine about 6" from the back wall and think they sound great!!! I can hear a little better imaging when they are 4', but I am like you and just cannot have them 4' from the wall.

My room is setup with (3) Rhythm's for fronts, and a pair of Borealis for surrounds. On top of that, (4) Avalanche 15" subs. The mains are driven by a Rotel RMB-1095, and the subs by a QSC PLX3402. The HT sound does not lack to say the least.

There are some older pictures here:
http://bkolfo4.freeservers.com/photo3.html

One of these days I will update that page with current info and pics.

Brian

Geoff C

Agent
Real Name
Geoff
Brian, sweeeeet setup.

How the hell do you keep all the pretty stuff on the shelves around the TV with that much bass??!:eek:

Also, hope I'm not being an idiot here, but how did you get the center config? I don't see it on their site, unless I'm missing it. Or did you simply turn a ryhthm on it's side?

btw, nice drywall detail on your rears and subs. as a home designer, i really enjoy seeing built in details.

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I designed the floor plan myself, so I included a 24" deep area in the front and rear of the room for built in cabinets, subs, and surrounds. Wife wanted the front mains in there too, but the wall just was not large enough when I decided to go with a 120" screen instead of a 100" screen. The room actually looks much better than the pictures show. We have bought all new furniture over the past year along with a nice rug for the room. There is a large stone fireplace on one side and a stone pillar between the area shown and the dining area. Triple crown molding and my friend did an excellent job on all the hand texture.

I really like it, but wish I had a dedicated HT room. I have already replaced a tweeter and SS 8545's thanks to the kids. They had a big plastic hook on a rope, as they went around the corner, the hook caught the left rhythm. They could not see what they were hooked on, but with a nice hard pull, they managered to brinig it over. The basket shattered on the top 8545 when it hit the ground!!!! They also learned that tweeters don't like flying objects!! They now know that the next accident is coming from their allowance!!!

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks