What's new

Full Metal Jacket HD-DVD problems (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I bought Full Metal Jacket on HD-DVD last night and tried watching but kept having problems at the beginning of boot camp when Lee Ermey is walking around the barracks yelling at the privates. I keep getting freeze-ups and sudden fast-forwards. It happens again later on during the rifle inspection when Pvt. Pyle is explaining to the DI why he looks into the barrel.

Upon looking at the disc, there are lots of small dots near the hub and spanning out about a quarter-inch all the way around. It looks like hairspray residue but is smooth to the touch and does not clean off, leading me to believe it is under the top protective layer. Needless to say, the disc is going back tomorrow.

So far, this is the second HD-DVD I've gotten with this problem. The other was The Fast and the Furious, which was fixed by cleaning the disc.

Anyone else have similar problems?

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
This happened to me with Miami Vice, though I thought it was just my Xbox messing up. It used to fast forward suddenly for a second or two, and today it froze at a different part. The disc doesn't appear to have any scratches or dust on it, but I'm gonna try cleaning it and playing it again. That's the only one I had that problem with.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Aaaaah technology. Nice to see as much effort being put into the manufacturing of HD-DVD discs as there is with SD discs.

I've heard quite a few problems about HD-DVD physical disc quality.

How does Blu-Ray compare? Scratches? Fingerprints? Other anomalies?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Full Metal Jacket froze up on me when tried fast fowarding in spots(but quite a few HD discs do this), but no problem when it plays through.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
My copy of Full Metal Jacket works fine. I had some problems with freezing with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, though.

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
Actually The Dirty Dozen froze on me once, but I think it was just my Xbox messing up because I had the ring of death right after that.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Well I returned the disc today but Hastings didn't have another copy. They only had a handful of titles which do not interest me so I had them put the money back on a gift card and I'll bide my time until they get another one in.

When the video manager checked to see if they had another copy, he commented that their HD-DVD sales this Christmas far surpassed their Blu-Ray sales and a lot of HD titles are on backorder.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I had to exchange a copy of FMJ. There were widespread problems with chapters 14 & 15 freezing in the inital run. That was mine's bug-a-boo. Maybe you got one of them? You ought to post your chapter/time when posting about a problem disc.

My second one plays A-OK.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben

Sigh. I've read that the data being read is stored in a smaller surface area than DVD (makes sense?) - hence HD discs being more susceptible to dust/grain.

I don't have Blu-Ray but I'm being motivated to get it just to prove you wrong so you don't look like a fan boy, XD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks