What's new

Full Metal Jacket (Blu-ray) Review (1 Viewer)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Interesting vittles for those who like comparing VC-1 to MPEG2

I've argued before: it's all in the mastering.

I prefer VC-1, but MPEG2 is still a viable codec when done right. Just not as efficient.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I don't think so, it just said the extras were in mono.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What a WAR!!!
First the A1's can't output 1080p & 720p output is 'bad'.
And WB releases improperly mastered discs.
Then the Sammy's output is hampered by a miss set filter.
Sony does inbareassing MPEG 2 transfers.

So...
We come to "FMJ" on HD discs.

Saying MPEG 2 looks as good as a bad advanced codec mastering is now something to rejoice about??? :-0
UGH!

Does anyone believe, I know the reviewer doesn't, that FMJ could/should look better in HD from either waring format?
Thanks.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I was under the impression that FMJ was encoded in MPEG2 on both platforms and looks equally poor on both.

So what does this reveal? Not sure...other than 'Buyer Beware'.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Quote:
"Warner Home Video's second wave of Blu-ray disc releases is here, and it is a particularly exciting and diverse bunch -- in addition to 'Full Metal Jacket,' there's 'Firewall,' 'Blazing Saddles' and 'Lethal Weapon' -- but they also mark a significant change in Warner's approach to Blu-ray. Because with the exception of 'Full Metal Jacket,' Warner has switched from using the MPEG-2 compression codec to VC-1, which the studio has been using from the start on its counterpart HD DVD releases."

It clearly states that MPEG2 is used on both releases of FMJ.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator

No, it doesn't, it clearly states that the BD FMJ is MPEG2 and that ALL Warner HD DVD's, to include FMJ, are VC1

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Seriously, both HD-DVD and Blu-ray have to get their sh*t together. Why on earth do they NOT have the original soundtrack? It cannot be the lack of space. It's really bad, I hope this turn around or I have to be force to either say no to better image because of the lack of original soundtrack or, in the future "rip" the disc and demux with the right soundtrack. Something I should NOT have to do.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Neither HD DVD nor Blu-ray released Full Metal Jacket. Warner did. There is no technical limitation preventing them from doing so, although for what it's worth, two of Warner's most recent HD DVD releases -- Caddyshack and The Searchers -- include the original monaural audio, and presumably the eventual Blu-ray releases will as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks