What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The article refers to the new set as being "shelf friendly." While I suppose that's true, I made the old set shelf friendly by removing the four amaray cases and placed THOSE on my shelf for easy access.

The big box is stashed away with other oversized boxes like the DARK SHADOWS coffin and the HOME IMPROVEMENT toolbox.

Harry

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wish studios would get the concept that people who buy sets like this usually have thousands of discs and their shelf space is often at a premium.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The "special features" disc included the following:

1-Original extended version of the pilot with commentary by director Walter Grauman

2-Audio clip of Janssen on the Joey Bishop Show the night the final episode aired.

3-Dinah Shore Show sketch with Janssen and George Gobel (very lousy)

4-Janssen on the Mike Douglas Show

5-The alternate version of the tag scene in the final episode that gives the date "August 29th" instead of "September 5th" (that version is also shown in the supplement)

6-Dominic Frontiere profile

There were a few other miscellaneous items. Leaving out a bonus disc isn't new for CBS/Paramount (Brady Bunch just did that too).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The season four special features about Dominic Frontiere should be included in this new set, as they are on the episodic discs.

Speaking as a fan, the optimist in me believes this is a final move to squeeze coin from the DVD product before they release the series on Blu-ray in 2017. That's just my opinion.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I would hope they'd eventually release it on blu-ray. That said, this package looks very nice.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If CBS/Paramount doesn't release any more of I Love Lucy or The Andy Griffith Show on Blu-ray (which is looking more and more likely), I have no hope that The Fugitive will come to Blu-ray. I sure hope that I'm wrong about all three shows though.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It should be once again pointed out that the MOST WANTED set was not 33 discs, but indeed 34. In addition to the DVD disc of extras, it also included a CD disc of soundtrack music by Pete Rugolo. I'm assuming that both of these will be excluded from the new 32-disc set.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Carabimero said:
Speaking as a fan, the optimist in me believes this is a final move to squeeze coin from the DVD product before they release the series on Blu-ray in 2017. That's just my opinion.

I have mixed feelings about a potential Blu-ray release. It would be great to see, but really, do I want to buy this series again?

I'm seeing this release as perhaps a move to "squeeze coin" out of the DVD folks out there before the series is licensed out to streaming. The streaming versions would probably have an HD component.

Harry

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Love that box! Would love it more if it said Blu-Ray! :lol: The black and white episodes would look incredible.

TheFugitive_Complete2015.jpg

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My thinking is that it will be a complete series release if they do Blu-Ray. I don't see them doing it season by season. Maybe there was something in the water when they priced Andy and Lucy for BD. Hopefully they got their water supply fixed and have cleared their heads a little. What Harry said about streaming seems very logical.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm more than happy to have the shelf unfriendly "Most Wanted" set, especially if the Bonus Features disc won't be in the new box. I really enjoy the unaired pilot and would hate to not be able to see it.

A Blu-Ray release would be nice, but the DVDs look amazing as they are. The blacks are solid and rich, and the restoration is just amazing. CBS did a great job on the image and now that the music has been restored, I'm happy with it.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
They should have released Andy and Lucy on bluray as complete series sets. I would think if Dick Van Dyke worked that way, Andy and Lucy would too. The pricing on the single seasons was out of line and had to hurt sales.

I'm surprised The Fugitive is getting another release on DVD. At this point I would have thought any new release would have been on bluray.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I'm wondering if this is their effort to 'evaluate' the potential market after all the replacement/music foo foray that likely tainted the estimated profit margins last go around. If they still see life in this ie. lots of sales, they'll then bless us with a BR set around Christmas. I'm neither here nor there in future purchases, but these decision makers never consider the cup empty until people pick up pitch forks and torches...

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't going to say anything, but now that so many others have chimed in...

As good as The Fugitive is, I simply don't think it has the 'rabid fan base' (think Star Trek) who would all be willing to repurchase the show again so soon on blu-ray.

Shows like Star Trek and Twilight Zone are well-known for having a geeked-out, rabid fan base who are perfectly willing to buy the same episodes over and over again on each new home video format as it emerges (both shows had multiple releases on VHS, Beta, Laser and DVD before the eventual blu-rays, and Star Trek even had a certain degree of success on the CED format). Both were also in constant syndication for at least a couple decades.

The Fugitive, on the other hand, was rarely syndicated, had a fairly inconsistent VHS release history (and there were a number of repeat releases on lower-quality LP and SLP-speed tapes) and was a latecomer to DVD.

Add to that the amount of time between DVD and blu releases for the former, "cultier" shows. There were 10 years in-between the first DVDs of Star Trek and the HD upgrade. Fans who bought those expensive 2-episode individual releases (or the later seasons) had a bit of time to recover before thinking of buying it all over again.

Add that to the belief that most fans are going to be pleased-enough at the current boxset (which is mastered way better than those 1999 Star Trek discs), and I doubt you're going to find many people willing to repurchase The Fugitive on blu-ray at a full retail price point (which is what the studio would be counting on) after only a little more than two years since the "Most Wanted" set came out. When you factor in the sad fact that sales of physical media are shrinking every year, it's really asking the studio to take a huge risk here.

I'd welcome the show on blu-ray, but I have to admit, I'd never pay retail for it (I didn't even buy the "Most Wanted" set until it was down to $70 or $80 in a Deep Discount sale), and I'm satisfied enough with the current set that I'd deliberately wait for bargain-basement pricing, and I suspect there are a lot of you here who would do the same.

And I'm sure the studio probably knows this, too.

For those who haven't bought this yet, waiting for the "eventual" blu-ray, I think you'd might as well buy either the "Most Wanted" set or the new "just the episodes" one and enjoy them now, rather than waiting for something that has a fairly good shot of not even happening.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I agree that we need to be careful of overstating the overall fan base for the show compared to other titles. It's because of that that we were very fortunate the fans gathered together at the right moment to shame CBS/Paramount into fixing the series when the trouble began with the initial S2 V1 release. Without this forum maybe that never happens!

Yet by contrast we have other shows that weren't as fortunate like "My Three Sons" and "The Odd Couple" and the latter is a case of a show that theoretically has been seen by more people in syndication over the years yet there wasn't a groundswell to get CBS/Paramount to fix that show for its last three seasons.

The "Most Wanted" set turned out to be the best possible end product I think this series could have asked for and the nice thing is that even in that oversized box, the individual seasons were put in shelf-friendly packages that makes this new full series set not necessary even for those who get concerned over shelving issues. I think those are hedging for Blu-Ray are likely denying themselves a chance to see what is going to be the final word on this set in a physical media format. But that has to be the individual's choice.

Users who are viewing this thread