What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
nigel19 said:
I recently received a used Most Wanted set of the series from an Amazon seller - but a company rather than an individual.
I've been trying to find a way to see if I have a corrected set . The yellow sticker mentioned earlier is not in place but could easily have been removed .
I've fast forwarded through a couple of episodes I've seen listed as having playback issues but is there just one safe and definite place to look to see if the set is corrected .
Is there just one moment on the set where I can look and know for sure its right or wrong ?

The email address to request replacements that was given by TVshowsondvd seems to be no longer active.

Edit - if the info about the running figure next to the logo is right then I don't have corrected discs . Any idea how I can contact CBS about this? Thanks
One of the episodes in season 3, I think, had some serious sync issues. The sound was off and it was very noticeable. Sadly, I don't recall which episode it was. That would be my best guess as a place to check.

I would imagine that the running man figure on the replacement discs was not going to carry over to the 100% corrected/perfect sets. I think they only used the running man on the discs as a way to separate them from the originals. I can tell you that the replacements did indeed have the running man figure on them.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
Brian Himes said:
One of the episodes in season 3, I think, had some serious sync issues. The sound was off and it was very noticeable. Sadly, I don't recall which episode it was. That would be my best guess as a place to check.

I would imagine that the running man figure on the replacement discs was not going to carry over to the 100% corrected/perfect sets. I think they only used the running man on the discs as a way to separate them from the originals. I can tell you that the replacements did indeed have the running man figure on them.
So even though the running man figure is not on my discs the set may still be corrected then ? That makes it more difficult then.
I guess I'm just going to have to watch them.
I still don't have an email address though . I've contacted the Amazon seller and I've taken a long shot and sent an email via the CBS DVD site but no replies yet . Thanks for your reply

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Watch Bloodline and Taps For A Dead War from S1. The sound synch is off here. There are a couple blasts of Heyes music on S2's Iron Maiden, when the photograper jumps in his car and when Gerard closes his suitcase and says, on the phone, that either way it looks like we got him this time.

I would be surprised if your set has corrected discs.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Watched the finale for perhaps the first time since the show aired (to like 80 million or something) and wow was that second part lame. Probably the worst episode (and there weren't many bad) of the series, with J. D. Cannon going full-tilt cartoon on us. The first part was well-plotted, but that second half just slapped stuff together and made zero sense. And it sure cost them a lot in syndication for doing that. The producers probably regretted ending it like that ever since. But it was worth it to see David Janssen break a smile (was it Kimble or Janssen being freed?). I believe my TV screen actually cracked.

It was fun to see The Outer Limits music cues playing under Jacquelyn Scott, who appeared in the first TOL premiere, "The Galaxy Being."

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
stevelecher said:
Watch Bloodline and Taps For A Dead War from S1. The sound synch is off here. There are a couple blasts of Heyes music on S2's Iron Maiden, when the photograper jumps in his car and when Gerard closes his suitcase and says, on the phone, that either way it looks like we got him this time.

I would be surprised if your set has corrected discs.
Thanks - I'll try those 2 episodes with synch issues. (Tried them - oh dear . Badly out of synch)

I sent a lengthy email to the seller explaining about the issues with the 5 discs and they're going to send me an entire replacement set!!!
Seems extravagant . I assume it will be used but if it contains the corrected discs it will be a great result as they don't want the old one back.
But with no response from CBS what will I do if the replacement also has the incorrect versions?

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Hollywoodaholic said:
Watched the finale for perhaps the first time since the show aired (to like 80 million or something) and wow was that second part lame. Probably the worst episode (and there weren't many bad) of the series, with J. D. Cannon going full-tilt cartoon on us. The first part was well-plotted, but that second half just slapped stuff together and made zero sense. And it sure cost them a lot in syndication for doing that. The producers probably regretted ending it like that ever since. But it was worth it to see David Janssen break a smile (was it Kimble or Janssen being freed?). I believe my TV screen actually cracked.
Always thought the way you do. Part I was good and the idea that Johnson perhaps only witnessed the murder was intriguing. But then none of the second part makes sense when the writers chickened out and decided to have Johnson be the murderer. My problems:1. If Johnson is the murderer, Lloyd Chandler has no reason to bail Johnson out of jail. Even if Chandler did the murder, he had no reason to bail him out either. In either case, Johnson didn't know who he was and would have no way to find out. If the police started to suspect Johnson as Kimble's one armed man, they wouldn't believe him when he said he just happened to be around there and was simply a witness to Helen's murder.2. Why in the world would Chandler send money to that bail bondsman using Len Taft's name? Makes no sense. Joe Smith would have been a better name.3. With Johnson being the murderer, how can he blackmail the witness? "Pay me $50,000.00 or I'll tell the police you saw me murder Mrs. Kimble. I'll wreck your reputation." Really? Murderer or witness, Johnson was in no position to blackmail anyone.Anyway, I agree with you about Part II but I'm very happy the series had a concluding episode that saw Kimble exonerated. I wish we could have had a TV movie a few years later showing how Kimble adjusted to life as a free man again. I'm thinking he dealt with some demons and nightmares after his ordeal.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
stevelecher said:
1. If Johnson is the murderer, Lloyd Chandler has no reason to bail Johnson out of jail. Even if Chandler did the murder, he had no reason to bail him out either. In either case, Johnson didn't know who he was and would have no way to find out. If the police started to suspect Johnson as Kimble's one armed man, they wouldn't believe him when he said he just happened to be around there and was simply a witness to Helen's murder.
Lloyd Chandler was obviously a man with issues (and J.D. Cannon played the character well) so someone of his caliber isn't always going to think and act rationally. He was obsessed with the idea of what could happen if Fred Johnson is brought to trial. That Johnson would say he saw someone there at the house when Helen Kimble was murdered. Chandler's wife remembers he went to visit the Kimble's the night in question. She realizes her husband was there and saw what happened. Whether he killed Helen or not is now irrelevant. The fact that he knew Richard Kimble didn't commit the murder and yet allowed him to suffer all that he had gone through needlessly........well you see he would be toatally disgraced. He did nothing to help Helen when Johnson attacked her and said nothing in Richard Kimble's defense.

The man was a coward and was coming unhinged under the stress of living with his guilty conscience.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That's for those inputs. I'm with stevelecher on this, though. I just think the ending was very poorly constructed and rationalized and way too dependent on J.D. Cannon acting like a loose... well, you know.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the entire final season up to that point. The guest stars were great. The writing and acting was super. The picture quality was impressive. The abbreviated Dominic Frontiere interview on the last disc was a bit strange. Really not much there, but at least it was something. At some point I may check out the complete series again since I went through Season 1 and 2 and then skipped to 4. I still like the real locations, lead personalities and ability to vary the mood of the show of Route 66 better, but for a one-hour drama that is essentially also a character-driven anthology show, The Fugitive holds up beautifully.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Why would you skip S3? Man, S3 has many wonderful episodes that are clearly superior to anything from S4. There are 4 or 5 episodes here that are in my top 20. Don't get that.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
nigel19 said:
Thanks - I'll try those 2 episodes with synch issues. (Tried them - oh dear . Badly out of synch) I sent a lengthy email to the seller explaining about the issues with the 5 discs and they're going to send me an entire replacement set!!!Seems extravagant . I assume it will be used but if it contains the corrected discs it will be a great result as they don't want the old one back.But with no response from CBS what will I do if the replacement also has the incorrect versions?
Doubtful the next set they send you will be any better. Hope I'm wrong. They're not sending a new, unopened set to you because the used one you got from them is defective, are they? I would expect CBS to respond to you in some manner. Let us know.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i just recall there being a lot of buzz amongst the adults as to who was gonna be the killer ?

lots of em thought would turn out to be someone other than the one-armed man.

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
stevelecher said:
Doubtful the next set they send you will be any better. Hope I'm wrong. They're not sending a new, unopened set to you because the used one you got from them is defective, are they? I would expect CBS to respond to you in some manner. Let us know.
Still not heard from CBS . I might try tvSHOWsondvd in a few days as the email that does not work is the one that appears on their site when you do a search.

rebar

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
THE DAY THE RUNNING STOPPED (for One fugitive, at least):

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd give an update w/my happy news. My saga is over - I own the Fugitive on DVD.

****I got a corrected set w/the infamous yellow sticker. And I got it - on eBay.

I was lying in bed at 3 a.m. on morning, tossing in turmoil over the outrage, the impossibility, the brick wall, etc, of this situation, and it jut came to me: Go on eBay, and look for a guy who's both saying the right words, and showing PICS.

Sure enough, I went on there, and there he was - a seller calling it by name, in big, bold letters, w/red font, no less, just as the situation dictates: CORRECTED SET WITH YELLOW STICKER, and so on. And the pics, big as life.

And the dream came true. I just finished scanning through every disc to ensure their playability, stopping on each of the 5 (formerly) defective ones to inspect/verify their corrections. Perfecto Perfecto Perfecto.

There you have it. If you're stuck in limbo, do what I did. Seek and ye shall find. Just search the key words (FUGITIVE YELLOW STICKER CORRECTED, etc), and if nobody's got one listed today, use the 'follow this search' feature so as to be notified via email when a listing Does appear that contains those words.

Good luck to all concerned & thanks to those that replied to my previous posts w/helpful advice and sympathetic words.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Walsh61 said:
Lloyd Chandler was obviously a man with issues (and J.D. Cannon played the character well) so someone of his caliber isn't always going to think and act rationally. He was obsessed with the idea of what could happen if Fred Johnson is brought to trial. That Johnson would say he saw someone there at the house when Helen Kimble was murdered. Chandler's wife remembers he went to visit the Kimble's the night in question. She realizes her husband was there and saw what happened. Whether he killed Helen or not is now irrelevant. The fact that he knew Richard Kimble didn't commit the murder and yet allowed him to suffer all that he had gone through needlessly........well you see he would be toatally disgraced. He did nothing to help Helen when Johnson attacked her and said nothing in Richard Kimble's defense.

The man was a coward and was coming unhinged under the stress of living with his guilty conscience.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

I wish I'd responded to this point a few months earlier. I think one additional wrinkle to the Chandler/Johnson matter is that Chandler does on one level think that Johnson in custody is just going to turn things around and say Chandler was the killer and point out with perhaps some logic, "He knew her, he's the one who had more to gain from being silent." When Chandler said to his wife, "I'd waited too long....." he felt in his mind that because he hadn't explained it earlier would open himself up to a charge that perhaps he was engaged in some illicit rendezvous with Helen etc. etc. So I can see the possibility of Johnson turning it around (figuring he has nothing to lose and everything to gain) and fingering Chandler.

As for Chandler using Len Taft's name, you're right that does make no sense at first. I have read though that initially Len Taft was supposed to be the witness who kept silent all these years or perhaps Len himself might have been the killer. That idea was nixed either by Martin or by an ABC exec (and I think it was ABC who said that to suddenly have Johnson be innocent would be a cheat to the audience. Besides we'd already had several other episodes along the way where Johnson is supposed to have confessed to others).

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Last year I bought a used box set of Season One Volume Two of The Fugitive for $7.99. Last week I finally watched an episode from it, the first time I've ever seen an episode of the show. It was "Come Watch Me Die" and it was directed by Laslo Benedek (THE WILD ONE) and it shows what happens when Kimble, living incognito as a farm hand in Nebraska, is assigned to drive a school bus with a murder suspect, a deputy sheriff and four angry witnesses to the county seat for arraignment, all while trying to keep the witnesses from lynching the suspect. Given Kimble's hidden status as a fugitive falsely accused of murder, he finds himself naturally sympathetic to the suspect's professions of innocence. I daresay the whole thing is pretty damned suspenseful. I wouldn't be surprised if the murder described in the teleplay was based on the same case as the one in "In Cold Blood."

What was interesting about it is that after the announcer has read off the guest stars (one actor I'd never heard of followed by three dependable lower-tier character actors who almost never got cited as guest stars) and the drama begins we almost immediately run head on into the most famous name in the entire episode and he wasn't even singled out: Bruce Dern! (Granted, this was before Dern had gotten famous at all.) Later on, the group stops at a diner and who's the waitress there? None other than Diane Ladd! Dern and Ladd were married by this point but still a few years away from spawning Laura Dern. I love it when I watch old TV shows and find these surprise cast members.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
if i recall, bruce dern played several episodes, mostly as a sleeze bag of one sort or another

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Rebar, happy for your great news. Glad you got your complete set. It took you more effort than it should have. It brings me back to when this was all happening and several people here wrote that they would wait and get a corrected set later. I always thought it better to get the set right away while the replacement program was up, running, and easy. Even now, I'm guessing a person ordering this is very likely to get a defective set sent to them.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Vic Pardo, speaking of suspensful, I hope you get to see Search In A Windy City or Angels Travel On Lonely Roads too. What a great series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.