What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
stuartfanning said:
Here's what it as like during the color season.

Strange all the disc are the same. No 'Kimble' figure on the discs in question on my set!

It seems to me that even though the replacement discs had different artwork, once the corrected discs are added to the dvd, it would make sense that their artwork matches all the other discs. Granted, this makes it harder to tell if you've got a corrected set, but I don't think CBS wants to call attention to this issue any more than they have to.

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
I made a mistake in my last post, and I don't see the edit button. Here's what I meant to say:

It seems to me that even though the replacement discs had different artwork, once the corrected discs are added to the complete set of DVDs, it would make sense that their artwork matches all the other discs. Granted, this makes it harder to tell if you've got a corrected set, but I don't think CBS wants to call attention to this issue any more than they have to.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
Yes. I think I must have a corrected set as the discs in question work fine for me. Also to say I live in the UK so have a Panasonic multi-region DVD player, so would expect to have the reported problems if I did not have a corrected set.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I would think that they would keep the design the same as the corrected discs to make sure at a glance these were indeed corrected. The reason I'm pointing this out is because some players run some of the defective discs just fine. And for the sound synch issues, they were hard for me to notice. If you've got the corrected discs and they put the artwork back to match the rest, that's great. But I'd love to know if CBS did indeed do this, just for peace of mind.

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
ScottRE said:
I would think that they would keep the design the same as the corrected discs to make sure at a glance these were indeed corrected. The reason I'm pointing this out is because some players run some of the defective discs just fine. And for the sound synch issues, they were hard for me to notice. If you've got the corrected discs and they put the artwork back to match the rest, that's great. But I'd love to know if CBS did indeed do this, just for peace of mind.
So would I.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
On Taps For A Dead War, I couldn't stand the synch problem. I am probably more anal than others, but that's me. Fact is there are several other instances in Season 1 where very minor synch issues exist that nobody has written about. The worst two, the ones that had to be corrected, are Taps and Bloodline. However, if I could spend one minute with Iron Maiden, I would know right away. What is the music like in the scene where the photographer talks to Richard Anderson's character and then jumps in his car and drives off and the scene where Gerard is on the phone and tells somebody that one way or another, this time he has Kimble. He hangs up and throws the picture into his brief case, closes it and leaves the room he is in.

It would be great to hear that totally correct sets are out there now. It hasn't turned out to be true yet but maybe this is the time. Please let us know.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
It's funny but CBS has released four different versions of Iron Maiden:

1. The first half set that had all the music replaced.
2. The replacement half set, with some restored music.
3. The 2011 set and the replacement disc for the 2012 set, which had NOB music. Perfect episode.
4 The defective disc from the 2012 set, had a couple blasts of Heyes music.

It's kind of the poster child for this show on DVD.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
stevelecher said:
On Taps For A Dead War, I couldn't stand the synch problem. I am probably more anal than others, but that's me. Fact is there are several other instances in Season 1 where very minor synch issues exist that nobody has written about. The worst two, the ones that had to be corrected, are Taps and Bloodline.
Here's a strange thing about the synch problems worth mentioning. On the first set I bought when it was first released the synch problems were quite noticeable. Like you, it really bugged me. Later after all the hub bub about the defective discs and once Amazon began fullfilling orders on their site again I purchased another set assuming it would have corrected discs. I was wrong.

However on the second set I noticed the synch problems on TAPS FOR A DEAD WAR and BLOODLINE weren't as noticeable. It struck me as odd because there was a definite difference in how out of synch those episodes were compared to the first set I had bought.

On the replacement discs I got from CBS I didn't notice any synch problems with these two episodes.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
That would be very strange if, on the same machine, two different defective discs with the same episode played that episode a little differently. Wow! The repaired episodes are absolutely perfect on those replacement discs.

rebar

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm pasting something I posted on Amazon a couple of days ago (as a comment on the first review that shows on the product page); I thought I'd put it here, too, for what it might be worth to anyone who, like me, is using this thread to keep tabs on the situation w/this set. Again, for what it's worth, this is/was my experience:

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;][Following a comment by another customer who intended to take the plunge w/a third-party-sold first-generation set & replacement discs]:[/color]

"I, too, decided to roll the dice w/one of the first-generation sets when the price thru deepdiscountdvd got down to $108. I'll be returning the set.

My set Definitely has authoring defects beyond those on the 2 discs containing the episodes that have been everywhere been described as being the only ones affected ("Three Cheers" & "Landscape"; the other three episodes covered by the replacement discs - "Bloodline"/"Taps"/"Iron Maiden" - have non-authoring issues, and those problems are of course present on my set, too - the hotel room scene in "Taps" is unreal; like a badly-dubbed '70s kung fu movie!).

Anyway, in at least "End of the Line", "In a Plain Paper Wrapper", and a third episode that falls between those two, but whose title I didn't make note of and now can't remember, there are playback issues. I planned to scan thru the entire set, but gave up after "Plain Paper Wrapper", having decided to return it; still more episodes may be affected.

At first, I thought/hoped that what I was hearing/seeing was the result of disc layer breaks simply awkwardly/uniquely placed (if they're there at all, they usually fall between episodes, not in the middle of them). In "End of the Line", for example, between the end of act 3 and the beginning of act 4, the disc paused in its scan and could be heard rallying in the familiar way when a disc is transitioning from one layer to the next. Okay, I thought; the layer break is simply There, rather than between this episode's end and the beginning of the next. But no; I went back and tested it under normal playback conditions, and when at a few seconds into act 4, I "rewound" on reverse fast view, so as to start near the end of act 3 and watch and listen, the disc and player freaked, unable to comply with the remote's command to scan backwards. After about 5 seconds, something gave and it reversed - but I was taken, not back into the end of act 3, but to its beginning. And I was taken there, not by fast view scanning, but by a clean jump. Oh, no; don't say it.

As I said, it happened again with another episode after that - as I recall, the problem was seen/heard in roughly the middle of that episode - but I ignored it and kept scanning thru: my heart was breaking and I was hoping that if I ignored it, it would all just go away. But later, when I was nearly done scanning thru "Plain Paper Wrapper", a similar thing happened, for now a 3rd time, and in each case on episodes I'd not seen referenced as being affected by problems, and I couldn't ignore it; I tested this one, too.
This time, the problem occurred between the end of the episode's epilog and the beginning of its end credits. I'd noticed the long pause/freeze at that point, the disc temporarily unable to continue scanning, then, in this case, abruptly jumping to nearly the end of the credits. On again positioning the disc at a few seconds into the credits, I "rewound" and watched/listened to what would happen during normal playback of the epilog's ending the credits' beginning. I did this 3 times and had the exact result in each case: At the epilog's fade-out, the disc paused, spun wildly, then began to play the credits but with a moment of audio drop-out - the same amount of audio (no more than half a second or so) dropped in the same place in each of the three playbacks. I then went to each of my other two players and these results were duplicated exactly. Crying emoticon here.

And of course the playing sides of these discs are all pristine/creamy/beautiful (great packaging on this, by the way). So for me, it's over. I never even got to order the replacement discs; I held off on ordering them because I somehow knew that there might be other problems present on the set, hence the scanning thru of each disc in order to get the full lay of the land before the return window closed. I'll be returning and not replacing this; I'll wait til the corrected sets are provided to and sold by Amazon's own retail service. That may turn out to be a laugh in its own right, but it now seems like the best/only option. So the saga continues and damn; I can't yet get rid of my Fugitive video tapes."

[SIZE=11.666666030883789px]I'd welcome any info or thoughts.[/SIZE]

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I tried these places mentioned on my set, and nothing seemed to be an obvious problem. In "End Of The Line", I forwarded and reversed around the end of Act III and the start of Act IV and found no errant behavior, either in fast motion, double-speed, or straight play, forwards and backwards. This was in an older Sony DVD player that usually exhibits any problems that are published and found on all discs.

I later tried the same area in my computers DVD drive - again, no problems, no errors of any kind.

"In A Plain Paper Wrapper" - here I DID notice a slight pause as the Epilog ended and the end credits started. You're right, it sounds and acts a bit like a layer change. This pause also occurs in the computer drive. There was a slight up-cut to the end theme, which could have been a result of the pause, or it might have been there anyway, but all audio was present other than that.

Most members of this hobby have experienced the anomalies on discs that you've mentioned, some of them are widespread, others are localized to specific manufacturing runs or even individual errant discs. It's entirely possible that the set you received, in addition to the known errors, also had a few other problems on other discs, not related to the general authoring of the discs, but rather specific to the discs in your set or manufacturing run.

I'm only guessing here, but that seems to be what's going on. Still it's great that you've cared enough to come here and share your experiences. I'm sure there's a bunch of anxious FUGITIVE watchers checking discs feverishly - just like me!

Harry

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
rebar said:
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here...
Welcome, Ken! :welcome:

Welcome to the HTF. You've jumped right into one of the busiest threads on the site! Fasten your seat belt! :biggrin:

I'll leave the experts here to react to your post but just wanted to invite you to check out the place and see that there's lots of other interesting discussions taking place outside of The Fugitive (although some people here may find that hard to believe! :laugh: ).

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I like End Of The Line. I watched it some time ago, with no complaints. I very recently watched In A Plain Paper Wrapper, again delighted with its quality on this set. Whatever problems there are here, they went by me unnoticed. I've watched every B&W episode at east once and have noticed no playback issues now.On one of my favorite episodes, Cry Uncle, in the scene where Kimble catches up to Sean at the construction site, in some close-ups on Kimble's face, a big shadow crosses his face. Is it an overhead mic or something else? It's a great scene with Janssen and the young boy giving great performances.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
rebar said:
I planned to scan thru the entire set, but gave up after "Plain Paper Wrapper", having decided to return it; still more episodes may be affected.

So for me, it's over. I never even got to order the replacement discs; I held off on ordering them because I somehow knew that there might be other problems present on the set, hence the scanning thru of each disc in order to get the full lay of the land before the return window closed. I'll be returning and not replacing this; I'll wait til the corrected sets are provided to and sold by Amazon's own retail service. That may turn out to be a laugh in its own right, but it now seems like the best/only option.

[SIZE=11.66px]I'd welcome any info or thoughts.[/SIZE]
More than likely you just got ahold of a bad set. Once my replacement discs arrived from CBS I went through the entire series in chronological order and had no real problems. Oh there were a few instances where I experienced playback problems, but found that by simply cleaning my DVD player the problem went away. And I have a blu-ray player which tends to be more problematic with this set than a regular DVD player.

Supposedly the sets being fullfilled by Amazon are now corrected. Who knows if that's really true (that may be a laugh in itself as well), but you might want to order another set and take advantage of the disc replacement program CBS is offering - while it's still being offered.

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
boothman58 said:
Just ordered replacement discs by phone and they only asked for barcode number on back of box instead of numbers on each dvd.
Does that mean that the barcode number on the corrected sets are different?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Since they didn't pull the set, it will probably always be a gamble as to which version you'll get. Since the replacement process seems very easy, I don't understand why people are scared to buy the set. If there was some kind of complicated process or lots of reports of people not getting their discs, I'd understand why people were reluctant but as it stands, it's a lot more likely that the replacement program will abruptly end (and then you'll have no option to replace the discs if you get the 'new' music discs) than you'll have problems with getting the replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.