What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Diane Brewster played Helen Kimble as you know, but before she was in The Fugitive she played Miss Canfield on Leave It To Beaver.

Beautiful lady.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Well OK. I was thinking of Miss Landers, played by Sue Randall, another woman who showed up in a few Fugitives.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi steve,

i just started watching my litb dvds. one fun thing for me is to look people up that i dont know much about. i do recall miss canfield, but not nearly as much as miss landers.

if i recall, miss landers is quite attractive. or at least she was to me, when i was a little kid.

but i was thinking that miss canfield is also pretty nice looking, so i looked her up. this was right after an episode in which beaver wanted to marry miss canfield !! i had no idea that was the same person that played helen kimble !!

but helen kimble was not really in the show, like miss canfield was in the show. the whole show is about the death of helen, and who killed her.

i get a kick out of watching these old shows, and seeing someone who became very popular later. but at the time of a particular episode on a particular show, said person was still a nobody.

there was an episode on dick van dyke where raquel welch plays a stewardess, but you only see her from the back. and her credit was inconsequential. so she was a real nobody at that time !!

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Brian, you wrote a couple of very good posts and I would like to comment. One surprise is you listed only 4 favorites from the first two seasons, seven from season 3 and seven from season 4. I think when you revisit the series, you will re-evaluate this. The first two seasons are so great and, naming only the best of them, besides the ones you mentioned, would be: Never Wave Goodbye, Bloodline, Search In A Windy City, Taps For A Dead War, Nemesis, Cry Uncle, Nicest Fella, Brass Ring, Masquerade, and from season 3, Echo Of A Nightmare. All of these and the ones you mention, are superior, IMO, to everything from season 4. There's another 10 episodes from the first two years, that are only a notch less worthy but I didn't want to go crazy. I doubt there is a Fuge fan out there that wouldn't agree with your choices from the first three years.

Yes, Lt. Gerard was obstinate but let's face it, it was partly because this is a TV series and he had to remain obsessed with capturing Kimble until the show concluded. I think there are a number of times when he let his doubts surface such as, in Nemesis, when Sheriff Diebold says, "You said he was a killer," and Gerard responds, "The jury said that." He at times spoke almost admiringly of Kimble, but he was obsessed with capturing him. He still went to interrogate one armed men after Kimble escaped (Never Wave Goodbye,) and he usually respected Kimble. In Corner Of Hell, Gerard came off very badly when he told Kimble coldly that he was guilty in the eyes of the law right after Kimble virtually saved his life in a situation with so much irony, even Gerard had to see it. Still, back at the office, in the epilogue, Gerard was bothered by that whole incident.

Never Wave Goodbye had such an outstanding sequence at the jail, that it was put into the Harrison Ford Fugitive movie, with embellishments of course.

By season four, Kimble was running into the one armed man virtually every other week. This is another clue that the writers were struggling. I agree that Ivy Maze is a good season 4 episode but the ending is annoying. All Kimble ever wanted to do is turn Johnson over to Gerard and surrender and here was the opportunity and he throws Johnson at Gerard and runs? Minutes later, he's ducking into the storage area of the bus and getting out of town? The whole sequence makes no sense and belies Kimble's whole reason for living that life.

Unfortunately, I think it is believable that a DA and a cop would bend over backwards to keep their conviction on a murder case and not want to investigate new evidence that might undo that conviction, as we saw in Trial By Fire. I've seen this kind of thing in real life and we hate to think they wouldn't want to get the truth, no matter where it leads.

I love the scene in The Judgment, when Gerard first interviews Johnson and realizes that Johnson could be guilty. A wonderful performance by Mr. Morse in this scene, as he slightly loses his cool. Like The Ivy Maze, this is a very good episode, especially if you don't think too much about some implausible actions by the participants.

JimmyJet said he thinks this thread may turn into a discussion about the different episodes and I think that would be fine. We never really got to do that when the half season sets came out, as the music issue dominated the discussion. It's about time we can once again discuss the merits of the actual show and not be sidetracked by a studio wrecking a wonderful show.

It's great that you got to watch the whole series, in night of broadcast video and audio, in the same order the show was originally broadcast in. I watched it in 1963, when I stumbled across Never Wave Goodbye as a 10 year old, up late one night when my folks were out. This episode was actually a very good introductory episode, as it features a conversation between Lt. Gerard and Captain Carpenter that hues closely to the one they had in Fear In A Desert City, explaining things from Gerard's POV. I had to do a lot of fast talking the next few months to continue being allowed to stay up late on Tuesday night to watch my favorite show. I've loved the show ever since.

Thanks for posting.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I think that the reason I mentioned only a few season 1 and season 2 episodes as my favorites is becasue they weren't as fresh in my mind as seasons 3 and 4. It had been a long time since I watched seasons 1 and 2. Not that they weren't memorable, they certainly were. Also, they way my work schedule goes sometimes, I didn't get to watch as much of seasons 1 and 2 in large blocks of time like I was able to do with seasons 3 and 4. At one point I was able to watch a half season in about three days so I was chugging along during seasons 3 and 4 at a pretty good pace. It took me quite a bit longer to get through seasons 1 and 2.

I do recall both seasons 1 and 2 as being very, very strong seasons with very few clunker episodes. The Witch was a clunker. I tend to like the episodes with Gerard the most as they focus more on the 'main story' of the series. Yes, Never Wave Goodbye is an excellent episode. I had forgotten about that one. Home is the Hunted is another of my favorites from season 1. You are probably right, when I go back an rewatch the series, I'm sure that more and more episodes will become my favorites. The series certainly has high rewatchability. I'm sure in a few years I will have watched the series several times.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
As a side note, Amazon is once again selling the complete series set and not through 3rd party sellers. It looks like they may have the sets with the corrected discs already in them. I'm not sure, but it looks like it.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i think that having gerard in the episode was always a plus. something that we looked forward to.

however, that was because he wasnt in it all the time.

if every episode was about gerard chasing kimble, it would not have been as good.

the main thing was showing kimble, and the situations that he came upon, and how he handled them.

as steve confirmed, i was pretty sure there were times when you could see that gerard had severe doubts, but would not voice them.

and he could get away with the "it is my job only to catch him".

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Brian Himes said:
As a side note, Amazon is once again selling the complete series set and not through 3rd party sellers. It looks like they may have the sets with the corrected discs already in them. I'm not sure, but it looks like it.
I just checked it they are still sold by outside sellers with "fulfillment" by Amazon.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I don't understand the reluctance some have to buy the set now and then get replacement discs, if needed. It's easy to obtain the replacements. Most of us got them easily though there was the odd snafu here and there. What's the difference if you get a set that needs replacements and get the replacements as opposed to a set that comes with corrected discs right off the bat?If you want the set, get it. It's great! If you wait six months to get it, you're still going to worry about those five discs.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
ScottRE said:
I just checked it they are still sold by outside sellers with "fulfillment" by Amazon.
Hmmm....When I checked earlier it didn't have the usual 'sold by so and so fulfilled by Amazon' thing listed. Very strange. Ok, well. Never mind then. They still aren't selling it so they haven't gotten sets with the corrected discs in them.

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
My Top Dozen Favorite Fugitive Episodes (not including Fear in a Desert City and The Judgement I & II):

1) Search in a Windy City
2) Ill Wind
3) Never Wave Goodbye I&II
4) Nightmare at Northoak
5) 2130
6) Escape Into Black
7) Man in a Chariot
8) The Survivors
9) Trial by Fire
10) Running Scared
11) Stroke of Genius
12) Come Watch Me Die

Honorable Mention to The End Game (1st Half),The Girl from Little Egypt (flashbacks) and to the too many good episodes(inc.color) I couldn't fit on the list.

Let the debate continue.

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sayers
Question :

Are the replacement discs identical to the discs that came with the box, as in having multiple episodes on them, or are they discs with just one episode on them? I want to know if you can toss the bad ones and insert the new ones without having to save the old ones for anything. Sorry if this has been addressed already.
stevelecher said:
I don't understand the reluctance some have to buy the set now and then get replacement discs, if needed. It's easy to obtain the replacements. Most of us got them easily though there was the odd snafu here and there. What's the difference if you get a set that needs replacements and get the replacements as opposed to a set that comes with corrected discs right off the bat?If you want the set, get it. It's great! If you wait six months to get it, you're still going to worry about those five discs.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
my dad took me to the angel tiger game, the night of the original airing of the last show.

but if i recall, they showed it again within the week. for me, i think it was a bit of a let-down.

i dont say it was not good, but i think at the time, i was expecting sky rockets or something spectacular.

i suspect that nothing could live up to my expectations or hopes !!

for those of you too young to recall the original airing, and even for those who are old enough, they may not remember.

but there was tremendous speculation going on for weeks before the finale on who actually killed helen.

and this was adults, not kids. everywhere i went, i heard people talking about it.

some thought they were gonna make kimble the actual killer. some said it was gonna be gerard, and that was the reason he was trying so hard to catch kimble.

it was a big to-do. i dont recall any other show having that type of effect on people.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
hypnohighball said:
Question :

Are the replacement discs identical to the discs that came with the box, as in having multiple episodes on them, or are they discs with just one episode on them? I want to know if you can toss the bad ones and insert the new ones without having to save the old ones for anything. Sorry if this has been addressed already.
They are identical with the exception of having a running "fugitive" figure on them. You can toss your old discs when the new ones arrive.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
66KIMBLE said:
My Top Dozen Favorite Fugitive Episodes (not including Fear in a Desert City and The Judgement I & II):

1) Search in a Windy City
2) Ill Wind
3) Never Wave Goodbye I&II
4) Nightmare at Northoak
5) 2130
6) Escape Into Black
7) Man in a Chariot
8) The Survivors
9) Trial by Fire
10) Running Scared
11) Stroke of Genius
12) Come Watch Me Die

Honorable Mention to The End Game (1st Half),The Girl from Little Egypt (flashbacks) and to the too many good episodes(inc.color) I couldn't fit on the list.

Let the debate continue.
Great list, 66Kimble. I'm with you on many of those episodes being in my Top 12. In no particular order (except for the very first one, which is my absolute favorite of them all), my top dozen episodes would be:

Search in a Windy City
Ill Wind
Never Wave Goodbye I&II
Nightmare at Northoak
Escape Into Black
Man in a Chariot
Home is the Hunted
Angels Travel on Lonely Roads (Pts 1 & 2)
See Hollywood and Die
Trial by Fire
Come Watch Me Die

Honorable mentions to Wife Killer, Nemesis, The End is but the Beginning, Fatso, Bloodline and two from the final season - A Clean and Quite Town and Ivy Maze.

As you can see, my favorites slant heavily toward the 1st season (which I do think was the best of them all). I enjoyed all 3 of the b/w seasons and, like many other fans, felt the 4th year definitely dropped off some.

Gary "greatest show of all time for me" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.