What's new

Fuel Injector Cleaner (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I've never used it before. Does anyone here use it and if so, in what type of vehicle and what type of engine with what mileage?
I'm coming up on 47k miles and am wondering if this is something I might want to use or if it's automotive snake oil.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to know, too. But at my local car wash it's only $2.99 for the bottle, so even if it is snake oil, it's not like it'll break the bank if you try it.
If you don't get an answer, why not be the beta tester?
wink.gif
Then come back and tell us if you see/feel a difference...

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
3 bucks is really high, most stuff is about $1.50 from PepBoys. It should not make you notice any difference; even if the fuel line and injectors are clogged, which they should not be on USA fuel, and especially at 47k. Maybe in Mexico, where it's 50:50 ratio with donkey piss,...
I always get a bottle of that stuff when buying stuff to change oil. If for nothing else get it as a prophylactic.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If for nothing else get it as a prophylactic.
Man, wouldn't it sting when you put it on?
biggrin.gif

Okay, maybe my car wash price is high (like everything else the damn place sells). One thing, though, all USA gas is not created equal. A friend of mine who works for a big auditing firm did a cheap-gas company (which I won't name, but it's not one of the big boys). Turns out they don't clean their tanks, that's a costly maneuver that most of the big name brands perform. That's why this cut-rate gas company can charge less at the pump. After he audited that company he swore off of their gas forever.
YMMV...literally.
wink.gif

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Is that really the #1 definition in 'American' that is associated with the word 'prophylactic' ? Never heard it used in anybody's daily vocabulary, that must be the reason
wink.gif

Jin E

Second Unit
Those el-cheapo fuel system cleaners are mostly crap. The Chevron Techron concentrate (around $7-9 a bottle) and the Valvoline Synpower synthetic complete fuel system cleaner (about $9-10 a bottle) actually do work are as good as you can get without a true fuel injection cleaning you would get from your local mechanic. They are best used with several hot/cold cycles of the car. If you plan on burning the tank of gas in a 4 hour ride on the interstate just hold off putting the stuff in your car. It is most effective if you get the car up to operating temp then stop the car and let the car "hot soak". So if you're planning on doing a bunch of short 5-10min trips in the car the additive will be most effective.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
In the past I used the Chevron fuel system cleaner on my '67 Camaro when it started to feel a little sluggish. I got pretty good results from the stuff...the car always felt a little more responsive after using a bottle. I dunno, you might not be in awe of the results, but the better fuel system cleaners, if used regularly, will probably save you on future repairs down the road.
------------------
My DVD's

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I have been using the Chevron Techon fuel injector cleaner for the past five years in my '90 Integra. It had about 60K and now has 110K. It never had a injector problem. I bought the stuff at Costco at $5 for 2 pack until they stopped selling it.
Then I noticed at Pep boys, they sold two versions, one regular injector cleaner and one injector and valve cleaner. It's only a dollar more.
They don't improve performance, but do slow down degradation beause of clogged fuel systems.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks for the responses, guys. In the past, I've had a mechanic clean my injectors and I didn't know if this stuff was comparable for a fraction of the cost. Another too good to be true scenario.
Thanks again. :)
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint
[Edited last by Clinton on October 22, 2001 at 02:58 PM]

Jin E

Second Unit
FYI if you are borderline on a emissions test throw some of the Valvoline Synpower Complete Fuel system cleaner in your car... it'll drop your emissions while it burn up and might lower you enough to pass.
-Jin
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks