What's new

Front Projector throw -How far is too far? (1 Viewer)

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at LCD Projectors for DVD watching (progressive scan) The way our living room is setup, there is a pillar that would be perfect to mount the projector.
However, its about 18FT from the screen area. If I want to maintain a small screen size

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Murdock,

Yes there are projectors that will do this for you. I know that some of the Runco line allows for you to order the projector with a specific "throw distance" lens to accomodate the install. Some are short throw and some are long throw. As for other companies, there are several projectors out there that are variable throw distance lenses that may accomodate your needs.

One nice thing about putting the projector as far back as you are is that you get rid of some of the fan noise.

Best of Luck,

David Abrams
ISF Calibrationist

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am curious. How are you planning on mounting the projector from the pillar and are you taking into account cooling space? Some projectors send their heat out of the back or sides and others out of the front.

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
I have been thinking about cooling space. After looking through the various projectors, it looks like I'd need a long throw lens in order to get the screen size I need. I'm just researching at this point, so I haven't really decided on anything. I do appreciate the input.

Murdock

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Christopher

What did you end up finding out about this? I'm looking at DLP but would also like a longer throw to keep the projector at the back of the room. Something like 2.2 (x width) would be great. I wonder if anyone has compiled a list of DLP projectors that accommodate the longer throw or, at a minimum, have the ability to use different lense configurations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks