What's new

Front projection...I just can't deal with it anymore. (1 Viewer)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I just got my first projector and couldn't be happier. Upgraded from a 57" hitachi HD RP CRT to the Panny AX200. The work to reconfigure the HT room is ongoing, but I pull the pj out every other night to watch something. 127" screen. Just incredible to me, but I'm well into the newness factor.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

But i'll bet it's not every 3,000 hrs and I wouldn't have to pay for it if the TV is under warrenty.

You guys are speaking from the point of view of projector owners with all the size talk when in reality a 60" TV is nothing to sneeze at, your just used to larger that's all.

I've come to terms with the fact that it'll be a smaller image, though so it doesn't bother me, as long as I have a nice TV where I pay as little out of my own pocket every year (that's what I was averaging in lamp use with my 4805 since I used it not only for DVD and HD viewing) than that's all i'm concerning myself with.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
You're really going to come to hate me. The repair history is that lamps generally need to be replaced every 2 - 3 years, regardless of hours. If the lamp fails with a very low number of hours, then the driver board should be replaced too. The specification given by manufacturers is time till reduced performance, not mean time between failures (MTBF). Lamp life can be increased dramatically if you realise that a set using one is not a normal TV. You cannot turn it on and off at will, you need to plan usage. Lamp warranties are often much shorter than the rest of the parts in the TV also.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Since I moved to a new apartment, I've briefly considered ditching FP as well (SP4805 too) for practical reasons (lots of windows here), but I've decided to put some effort into adapting the place to PJ use. The reason? A think this excellent passage from an otherwise lackluster article (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sexy-proj...der-322679.php) says it best:

"There's just something about a projected image in a darkened room that elicits mystery, focuses your attention, and makes it feel like you've dedicated yourself to the content on the screen. There's nothing incidental about watching a movie in a darkened room on a projector."

I used to worry about bulb life and decreasing brightness when I first got the PJ, but not any more. I couldn't even tell you how many hours I've put on it. I've fallen asleep and left the thing on overnight many times. I am sure it's not as bright as when I first got it, but that's only because I know that the light output will decrease over time. Otherwise, I can't say I've noticed it.

The bulb could blow up the next time plug it in (it's boxed up right now) and I wouldn't care: I've owned the thing for 2.5 years, and I've more than gotten my $900 worth. My next purchase will be in the same price range, and undoubtedly better.

Last, I am exclusively a film guy on the PJ. No TV or Games. That pretty much guaranties that lamps will outlast the need to upgrade (even less reasons to worry about it).

So yes, I am gonna try to make the PJ work in the new place before I give up on it (a very real and unfortunate possibility. I need to find a way to keep the light out). That BIG picture is addictive... the Wow factor with friends is unrivaled.

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Gee I just plug the thing back in tonight to test screen placement and stuff. Turns out there are only 961 hours on the thing :confused:. Mind you, I bought it in July 2005. I knew I used it somewhat sparingly, and not purposely so: Much of my screening in recent years has been older 4:3 black and white films or TV on DVD, and the 32 inch 4:3 CRT is just fine for those. But I never imagined usage would be this low (I've not looked at bulb life in months.)

961 hours in 2.5 years translates into an average of 7.3 hours or 3 projected films a week, which is about right.

I guess I will be sticking with the 4805 for longer than I thought... :D

Sorry John, projectors rule.

--
H

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have a Optoma H30 that I've had for a few years. I use it strictly for movie watching and I only have about 290 hours on the Bulb. I love it but would never use a projector as my main source of everyday TV Viewing. I just don't trust the Bulbs in these things. They get rated for 2000 hours but I've seen some go at 300 or so. It seems you have to be prepared everytime you turn it on that it may be your last. I bought a 46" Bravia TV for my main viewing, and HD-DVD and Blu Ray and gaming, and could'nt be happier, sure it's not 96" But what is....

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I think that excerpt from the article you provided, Holadem, has more to do with how much of your environment and more importantly field of vision an image takes up and isn't necessarily FP exclusive.

If I have a relatively small living room (which I do) a 61" tv will fill my field of vision quite well and produce the same effect and feeling the article describes, and yes the WOW factor from friends will still be there since none of my friends except one owns a full 1080p television. :)

I've also made my decision on my next tv, i've fallen madly in love with the Sony Bravia KO560A3000, that tv shall be mine after the holidays are over with, well, after about 2 months of saving that is. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
John, have you considered a flat-screen LCD or Plasma? I don't know the technical trade-offs, but that's what I want to do when it's time to upgrade from my 5-yr old Sony Wega. I'd been intending to do a large RPTV or perhaps FP. But after seeing the new flat-screens, I'm convinced that's the way to go. No installation issues of the FP. No convergence or focus annoyances of CRT and RP. And lighter weight than the CRT and RPTV.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've considered those options yes however I just like the look of RP, I don't know, it just looks more cinematic to my eyes than LCD or plasma.

I've always had excellent experiences in the past with Sony and as soon as I saw that TV I just knew that was the one for me, perfect features perfect size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks