1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Front L/R speakers suggestion

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by jayjose01, Jan 30, 2012.

1. jayjose01

jayjose01 Member

Hi all, I was finally able to put together my home theater set. Currently in 5.1 set-up using polk audio TL150 set. I'm planning to upgrade it to 7.1 soon and been wondering about the front L/R speaker (planning to move the current front L/R sat speaker to the back). I don't like to have a floor standing speaker so I'm planning to mount the front L/R on the sides of the tv on the wall. Been wondering if it's ok to get 2 more of the center speaker (TL1) and use them as the front L/R? or just stick with the sat speaker? Thanks

2. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    I'm not sure how using center speakers as fronts would work. I remember an article once that used two Athena centers in a stereo setup and the results were less than satisfying. Swap the center for one of the fronts and turn on a stereo source (2 channel music?) and compare it to the other satellite on the other side. It would be a crude experiment but better than notheing. Unless there's something you don't like about the TL150 satellites the safe bet might be to just get two more. Buying two centers would be a costly mistake if it didn't work out as well as you thought. Of course, you could always return them.

3. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    The design of center speakers is a compromise. They are designed to allow for easier placement above or below the TV while maintaining the best sound they can. Ideally, you should not use a center speaker anywhere if you can help it. So my opinion about using 2 more as L/R is don't do it. Also, if you plan to put the speakers on the wall, make sure you get speakers that are designed to be on the wall. Putting any other speaker on the wall is not recommended. The wall becomes part of the sound and unless the manufacturer takes this into consideration, your results may be less than optimal.

4. jayjose01

jayjose01 Member

Thanks gene and David for the info. I'm not really an audiophile but I'll try to do what gene suggested and test the center speaker first. If I don't notice any good improvements from sat speakers, I'll just get another pair of sat speaker, which is much cheaper than the center. On the other thought, do any of you guys have any suggestions/recommendations for a good front L/R speakers that are wall mounted? Thanks