1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

front channel recommended crossover frequency

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by nystad, Aug 21, 2013.

1. nystad

nystad Well-Known Member

Wondering if someone could answer a question related to calibration.

7.2 theater setup running off Denon AVR 331CI receiver
    The front speakers are Pinnacle bookshelves BD650 Series II. Wondering what the optimum crossover
    frequency would be for these? Or is this a question that cannot be answered w/o calibrating, etc. I did use
    the Odyssey calibration setup which automatically set each front, but I just don't think it sounds optimal and so
    I manually just have both at 120 hz. Seems to sound better but I'm sure there is much more precision needed here.
    The center pinnacle (BD300 Series II) is also set manually at 120. I'm pretty sure all the other setting are correct
    in terms of size, etc. for each speaker.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    That is too high, in my opinion. The crossover should be 80.But those could be set at 60.120 makes your sub do too much.

3. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Well-Known Member

Al
    I also agree the BD650's should definitely be near 80. But one (bad) reason to have them set high is if that Denon doesn't support different crossover levels for the different channels, AND you have much less capable surrounds. Then setting the crossover lower might be taxing the surrounds and making everything sound worse. If that is the case, the right answer is to get better surrounds.

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Well-Known Member

Look at your speaker specs and see how low they can go, that will determine your starting point and then you can adjust it to where it sounds good to you.