What's new

From Pixar in 2007: Ratatouille (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yes they did. In Taiwan, it's Harry Potter and the Mystical Black Magic Stone. In Dutch it's Harry Potter and the Stone of Manners. In French it's Harry Potter and the School of Wizards. In German it's Harry Potter and the Wizard's Stone. In Korean it's Harry Potter and the Pebble of the Wizard.
If "Philosopher's Stone" was the title of Book 7, it almost certainly wouldn't have been changed. Book 1 didn't just have to sell itself, it had to sell the series on the American public. Labeling it a byproduct of American ignorance is, itself, an ignorant argument.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I wonder if they could add in a line from Ferris Bueller's day off... the snooty Maitre 'd grabs a customer and the customer says, "You touch me, I yell 'Rat!' "

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Give kids more credit. If they can learn the names and distinctions among hundreds of different dinosaur species, they can certainly figure out one word of French :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I took French, but don't speak it. This is ridiculously easy to pronounce, once you know how to do it.

Kids will be fine. The movie is by Pixar. What else needs to be said?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I think this is like the 'Licence Revoked' myth. The reason presented in the UK was that 'Sorceror's Stone' and 'Philosopher's Stone' mean the same thing, but 'sorceror's stone' was better known in the USA and 'philosopher's stone' was better known in the UK. However, I'd have thought that precious few people in either rcountry would have known what the item was before the book became popular (I knew it, but only because I have a nerdish interest in the history of science).

Back on topic: I can't help noticing that Ratatouille seems to be exploring a similar theme to the next Aardman movie due out later this year, which is a CGI film about a rat.

Hands up how many of you knew what ratatouille was before reading this thread. In the UK it's well enough known because it's a staple of vegetarian students (cheap and easy to cook - ratatouille, that is, not students ...) - I don't know if it's true across your side of the Herring Pond.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Probably not overly common here, but I have heard of it. There is a sandwich place which I like to go to which has hundreds of different sandwiches to choose from. Some of them have ratatouille on them (which they call rat sauce for short.)

Jason

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I think the title is a good thing. It's educating kids AND adults with a name they haven't heard before!

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
did anyone see the teaser on the wallace and gromit dvd for the first cg aardman film? it's called flushed away and it's about rats...being flushed down the toilet. is this another bugs/antz situation we got on our hands?

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Hey guys, during the annual Disney Shareholder's Meeting yesterday, John Lasseter announced that Ratatouille is now being lead by Brad Bird.
So now Bird is either taking over Directing duties or is now just actively helping out Jan Pinkava.
Now I'm really looking foward to the film.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Whoa... can he really add much though? Wouldn't the film be pretty much finished, at least story and voice wise with just the animation to be completed for its release next summer?

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
Yeah, he's probably just in charge of post-production animation and editing now.

Also at the meeting Lasseter showed the first trailer of the movie. Hopefully that'll land on the net sometime.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I did. :b Not sure what it is exactly, some sort of sauce I think. I do know how it's pronounced though. I'm sure once kids will hear the name said in the trailers there'll be no problem, and they'll probbaly mention the word several times in said trailers purposefully.

Speaking of the Harry Potter renaming deal, I'm just happy there is Amazon.ca ;) Reading the books that take place in England with British spelling, grammar and punctuation makes it much more enjoayble and immersive than a "translated" American version would.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
The teaser is out at Apple.com in HD. Doesn't show a lot but it looks like it should be pretty entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks