What's new

From Here to Eternity (1953) [US Release] (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Thanks for the link. I used it to pre-order. This has been a phenomenal year for Oscar Best Pictures on Blu-ray.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Another Best Picture winner that the Academy got right IMO. One of the very few winners, like Best Years of Our Lives, which can stand repeated viewings and grow in stature over time.

Rick Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ricardo
Thankfully, it was not given to Twilight Time.While I am a regular customer of theirs, I also like my discs a little bit cheaper and widely available.

I do appreciate their efforts though in releasing titles that would likely never be on blu otherwise. When it comes to a Best Picture winner, however, is a different story.

I remember reading this film was originally released in stereo, but those sound masters no longer exist...(?)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Mike Frezon said:
Great news!

I saw this was coming while perusing amazon.uk recently. Almost pre-ordered there. Glad I waited. The release date listed there is October 7.
Cancelled my U.K. order and pre-ordered this. Bring on the full Monty!...Clift catalog to blu-ray.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Rick Z. said:
Thankfully, it was not given to Twilight Time.While I am a regular customer of theirs, I also like my discs a little bit cheaper and widely available.

I do appreciate their efforts though in releasing titles that would likely never be on blu otherwise. When it comes to a Best Picture winner, however, is a different story.

I remember reading this film was originally released in stereo, but those sound masters no longer exist...(?)
Besides the stereo release wasn't From Here To Eternity released in 1:85 widescreen? Here we go again!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“Rapturously received from the moment it was released in 1953, From Here to Eternity remains … a singular cinematic experience, one of the landmarks of American film.” ~ Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

Winner Eight Academy Awards®, Including Best Picture
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
Celebrating its 60th Anniversary by Debuting on Blu-ray™ October 1st

Directed by Oscar® Winner Fred Zinnemann, the Landmark Classic
Stars Oscar Nominees Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster
and Deborah Kerr and Oscar Winners Frank Sinatra and Donna Reed

Special Features Include Two Vintage Featurettes, Audio Commentary
and an all-new Graphics-in-Picture Track: Eternal History

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (July 22, 2013) – Featuring an impressive all-star cast, the internationally acclaimed FROM HERE TO ETERNITY provides a torrid look at military life just prior to the bombing of Pearl Harbor, featuring remarkable performances from legendary stars Frank Sinatra (On the Town, The Manchurian Candidate), Montgomery Clift (Red River, A Place in the Sun), Burt Lancaster (The Killers, Elmer Gantry), Donna Reed (TV’s “The Donna Reed Show”), Deborah Kerr (The King and I, An Affair to Remember) and Ernest Borgnine (Marty, Red) under the celebrated direction of Fred Zinnemann (High Noon, Oklahoma!). Commemorating its 60th anniversary, the classic film was meticulously restored from a 4K scan by Sony Pictures Entertainment, and it will debut on Blu-ray™ October 1st from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Blu-ray special features on FROM HERE TO ETERNITY include the all-new Eternal History: Graphics-in-Picture Track which is the complete story of how 1953’s Best Picture winner came to be told through new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material. New interviews include Tina Sinatra (Daughter of Frank Sinatra), Tim Zinnemann (Son of Fred Zinnemann), Jack Larson (Actor / Friend of Montgomery Clift), Robert Osborne (Author, 80 Years of the Oscar), Kate Buford (Author, Burt Lancaster – An American Life), Film Critic Kim Morgan, Author / Film Historian Alan K. Rode and Journalist/Film Historian Virginia Campbell. The disc also features an audio commentary by the Director’s Son Tim Zinnemann and Actor Alvin Sargent, who was also a collaborator with Fred Zinnemann; as well as two vintage featurettes: “The Making of From Here to Eternity,” a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film and a look at the film’s Director in “Fred Zinnemann: As I See It.”

Nominated for 13 Academy Awards®, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY swept the Oscar® ceremonies, taking home eight statuettes, including Best Picture, Best Director (Fred Zinnemann), Adapted Screenplay, Supporting Actor (Frank Sinatra), Supporting Actress (Donna Reed), Black-and-White Cinematography, Film Editing, Sound Recording and Best Screenplay. In addition, the film received two Best Actor nominations (Montgomery Clift & Burt Lancaster) and nominations for Best Actress (Debra Kerr), Black-and-White Costume Design and Scoring. At the time, the film became one of the 10 highest-grossing films of the decade. In 2005, the film came in at No. 52 on the American Film Institute's list of “Top 100 films of All Time.”

Synopsis:
In this landmark film, passion and tragedy collide on a military base as a fateful day in December 1941 draws near. Private Prewitt (Montgomery Clift) is a soldier and former boxer being manipulated by his superior and peers. His friend Maggio (Frank Sinatra) tries to help him but has his own troubles. Sergeant Warden (Burt Lancaster) and Karen Holmes (Deborah Kerr) tread on dangerous ground as lovers in an illicit affair. Each of their lives will be changed when their stories culminate in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Bonus Features Include:
§ Audio Commentary with Tim Zinnemann and Alvin Sargent
§ “The Making of From Here to Eternity”
§ “Fred Zinnemann: As I See It”
§ Eternal History: Graphics in Picture Track - From the Rudyard Kipling poem that inspired its name, to James Jones' controversial source novel, to the film's legendary casting and censorship struggles, the complete story of how 1953's Best Picture winner came to be told through new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material.

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY has a running time of 118 minutes and is not rated.

“Academy Award®” and “Oscar®” are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
mikeyhitchfan said:
Any idea of the aspect ratio?
That question has been asked and answered in the Aspect Ratio Thread here.

Edit: But you were probably asking if Sony has announced any AR specs on the disc. Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
mikeyhitchfan said:
Any idea of the aspect ratio?
Sony's VP of Catalog Restorations Grover Crisp is notoriously meticulous about getting these right...if you read the press release, you'll see that the blu-ray's sourced from a 4k scan from the original camera negative...I believe it was shot in Academy ratio 1.37:1, however!!!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yep. This is what it feels like to be deliriously happy...in the poorhouse!

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Excellent! This is one of my favorite films, I'm looking forward to picking it up on October 1. My wallet is going to hate me, as I also plan on buying The Big Parade, House of Wax, and The Little Mermaid.I wonder, will this include the full 44-minute version of "Fred Zinnemann: As I See It" or will it be the same 9-minute excerpt from the DVD. I'm hoping it's the full version, as I've never seen it before. But I can live with the 9-minute one, as it's miles ahead of the lousy 2.5-minute "The Making of From Here to Eternity" excerpt from The Lady with the Torch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks