What's new

From Beyond, The Burning in Sept.!!! (1 Viewer)

scarabus

Grip
Real Name
Jim
Good news from Fangoria!

May 25: DVD update: FROM BEYOND, BURNING, more

Fango has learned that MGM Home Entertainment has a whole batch of horror titles coming on DVD September 11 for the Halloween season, among them two of the year’s most eagerly awaited restorations/special editions. One is the director’s cut of Stuart Gordon’s FROM BEYOND that premiered last year on the high-definition channel Monsters HD (see our previous report here), with a Gordon commentary and other extras to be announced. The other is the uncut version of the 1981 slasher film THE BURNING, an early credit for Miramax’s Harvey and Bob Weinstein as well as actors Jason Alexander, Holly Hunter, Fisher Stevens et al. That movie will be presented in a remastered hi-def widescreen transfer with all of Tom Savini’s gory FX intact, accompanied by commentary by director Tony Maylam and a featurette including a Savini interview and behind-the-scenes footage of his gory handiwork.

Also on the slate are the new RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD disc, with a cast/zombie commentary, that we first told you about here, a no-frills release of William Wesley’s SCARECROWS and many more. Look for more details on this site very soon! —Michael Gingold

Later

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
It's going to be a good halloween this year
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
My pineal gland is vibrating with happiness!

And I finally get to see The Burning as well?
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Good to see that From Beyond is getting a proper release. Watched the DC on Monsters HD a few months ago so that pretty much spoiled my desire to buy it on SD.

I wonder if MGM has more trick or treats planned for Oct, hopefully a Midnite Movie double feature of Conqueror Worm and Burn Witch Burn.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Heck, BURN WITCH BURN is already available with an excellent anamorphic transfer under its original title NIGHT OF THE EAGLE in the UK. As good as the Image Laserdisc was, the UK DVD release bests it in every way quality-wise.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
His commentary wasn't that good and was quite sporadic - the last part of the film the track was silent. The UK anamorphic DVD is terrific, but I edited in the US opening and closing credits on mine on an alternate angle as a viewing option.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Not that good, eh? Oh, well. BTW, how did you manage to edit in the US credits? What kind of software are you using? Cheers!

Oh, one more thing: Are you aware that a SE of Night of the Demon (1957) will be released in the UK in a few months and will include the 1979 BBC TV version of Casting the Runes, which isn't listed at the IMDb. Have you ever seen it?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Good to see that From Beyond is getting a proper release. Watched the DC on Monsters HD a few months ago so that pretty much spoiled my desire to buy it on SD."

Ugh. I wish Monsters HD would come to my area.

Off the top of your head, can you recall any of the differences of the DC?

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen the cover art and I am shocked. How can someone get paid for making such bad cover art? I know its the content on the disc that matters but that is some really shocking cover art. To be honest, I would love to meet the people who decide to make new cover art and not stick with much better original art and ask them why?

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
I got both "From Beyond" and "The Burning". Both films hold up extremely well.

The transfers are both great as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks