What's new

Fringe Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
MattH. said:
Loved this one, too. The show is doing some of its best episodes ever.
Agreed. Hopefully they realize that the show is unlikely to be renewed at this point, and don't end the season on a huge cliffhanger though. I mean, as much as I like the show, the writing's been on the wall for a long time.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I too enjoyed the episode. I've never been a big fan of Torv's acting, but thought her playing extended scenes against herself highlighted her skills nicely and the work put into making Olivia and Bolivia distinct characters. I always found Bolivia a little insensitive, but her cavalier attitude seemed somewhat attractive for a change. Maybe because people had an opportunity to call her on it.

Astrid's white lie to her counterpart was also a nice touch.

And nice to see it takes an alternate reality for the Nissan Leaf to be the car of choice for the federal government.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wonderful episode this week. I haven't seen many more disturbing sights that the man who was pushed out of the back of the bus during the flight to the bike store.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It seems like with Walter and Olivia starting to merge memories with "our" Walter and Olivia, the three-named guy must be building a huge version of the device that killed that town around Boston. Either the storyline will end with Peter staying where he is, with these versions becoming out versions, or they will sorely miss Peter when he's gone. It was good seeing our old Field Agent Walter With Kung Fu Grip back onscreen.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Really enjoyed the first season of this, but looks like a BluRay/DVD buy when it finally finishes.
Didn't even know when or if it would be on half the time. The 3-4 month breaks the networks are using tend to lose a lot of their original audience, me included. Not sure of the Fringe schedule, but I honestly thought it had been cancelled.
Unless some network starts showing it from the beginning, I'll just let it finish and buy it on disc.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The only way I know if Fringe is on, is by joining the Save Fringe updates on Facebook. They always announce when the show is actually on.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Will_B said:
The only way I know if Fringe is on, is by joining the Save Fringe updates on Facebook. They always announce when the show is actually on.
Thank you for the info. Never joined Facebook or other similar sites, I try to at least keep some privacy in my life, but maybe it's time.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Man what a great episode last night. To be honest I was really digging the newer Olivia. She had real charm last night.

Next week's looks to be a great one and will hopefully answer a lot of the questions about the Observers.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So are we to infer that Nina was replaced by a shape shifter? I was a bit confused by the closing scene.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee /t/315036/fringe-season-4/90#post_3898834
So are we to infer that Nina was replaced by a shape shifter? I was a bit confused by the closing scene.
That's what I assumed. I guess next week we'll see if we're right.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I thought that the other-side Nina in the other-timeline was masquerading as this-side Nina and had been doping up Olivia with cortexifan. I'm thinking that the kidnapping is a ruse by other-side Nina to get Olivia to activate her powers. That's this-side Olivia, other-timeline.

BTW, it was made abundantly clear the other-timeline's this-side Nina had two hands. Does the other-side Nina have both hands in the other-timeline?

Or it could be shapeshifters. Other-timeline, other-side shapeshifters.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The sad thing is, I was able to follow Hanson's post. That kind of convolution and anybody wonders why the ratings are so low? :P Seriously, people couldn't handle BttF 2, a movie that always seemed completely straightforward to me.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/315036/fringe-season-4/90#post_3899012
The sad thing is, I was able to follow Hanson's post. That kind of convolution and anybody wonders why the ratings are so low? Seriously, people couldn't handle BttF 2, a movie that always seemed completely straightforward to me.
Hah! I totally see what you are saying. However, at least Abrams et al colour codes things :)

Yellow Universe Olivia, Yellow Universe Bolivia, et cetera.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Phew, my head hurts...

OK, I just about follow what Hanson said, but to check: this-side Nina, original timeline always wore long black gloves because she lost a hand (or was it both?) at Reiden Lake. What about other-side Nina original timeline? Can't for the life of me remember.

I did remember thinking it odd that Nina other timeline appeared to have two intact hands, since her gloves were fingerless. So far AFAIR the only extent of the changes at Reiden Lake when Walter crossed to take other-side Peter was that the Observer did not save Peter from drowning, thereby wiping him out of the other timeline. Where any other changes to the Reiden Lake events shown?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The fingerless gloves and the biometric hand scanner were shown to bring attention to the fact that this Nina had two hands.

BTW, normal-timeline other-side Bell died in an auto accident. And normal-timeline this-side Bell died/exploded getting the gang back to the other side in the season 2 finale. Which means both other-timeline this-side Bell as well as other-timeline other-side Bell may be alive.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I don't even like saying "other timeline" for either side, because we STILL don't know if Peter has crossed to an alternate timeline or if the memory/history of him was just erased when he went into the machine.
Which, I will now state, is what I think happened. I think this timeline IS Peter's home - this is NOT 'another' timeline. He IS home. It's just that no one remembers him. The fact that Olivia is beginning to remember him is due to her abilities. She can apparently exist/cross/see/whatever across any temporal/existential border. Pretty cool.
I also believe that DRJ has replaced our side Nina with other side Nina. To replace her with a shapeshifter, he'd have to kill Nina wouldn't he? If that is her in the cell with Olivia...she looks pretty alive to me. Which cancels the shapshifter idea. At least by the rules as I understand them.
Either way, Olivia and her abilities are key to DRJ's 'plan' - whatever that may be.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
BTW...how many episodes remain? I'm thinking we will NOT see any more Fringe after this year. I'm hoping these last few are epic.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Everyone's assuming the Nina who took Walter to check on the cortexiphan is the fake. What if that is the "real" Nina? We don't know that the "evil" Nina we've seen up until now has replaced Nina. She could have been operating in parallel to the real Nina. And it could be Evil Nina who is sitting opposite Olivia in that basement - having set up the real Nina so that the Walter and the FBI no longer trust her.
Boy this show gets you thinking in twisted ways. :)
Re: this being the last season. Word is that Fox wants concessions from WB to renew the show, because it is so expensive. The problem is the negotiations won't start until after S4 wraps. So what do the producers do? Shoot a series finale that wraps up the story this year? But what if WB and Fox strike a deal to do another year?
A similar issue came up with House (which is definitely in it last season now)
I wish more producers of these serialized shows would take a leaf from Joe Straczynki's book . He plotted Babylon 5 so that the final episode would be a coda to the rest of the series, set 20 years after the end of the main action, in a future frequently alluded to. Faced with an identical dilemma going into S4 of his series, JMS pulled a bunch of planned standalone episodes out of season 4, pushed the start of some plot threads into the hypothetical season 5, and then shot the series finale as S4 episode 22. When TNT came through with a deal for S5 before season 4 finished airing, JMS wrote a new 422 (shot as the first episode of the 5th season production run) and aired it in place of the series finale at the end of S4. Then he saved the final episode at the end of the series, as episode 522 in air date order.
Depending on the schedule for Fringe, they might be able to shoot a series wrap up now, and either shoot one extra to air as 422 (if WB and Fox make a deal fast enough) or leave S4 at 21 episodes and leave the finale in the can to air at the end of a 22 or 23 episode S5.
I just hope we get a decent ending.
Later,
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks