What's new

Fringe - By J.J. Abrams (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I find there are too many quality shows on TV and DVD to give a new show any more time than its pilot to grab me. If they can't pull it together enough for the pilot to be engaging, then I move on. It doesn't have to be perfect, or amazing, but it has to suggest a show worth watching. But I don't want to waste time waiting for a show to pull itself together.

And there's no risk today. If I prematurely mis-judged a show, at worst I can watch it a year later on DVD.

My wife is in your camp though; she'll give a mediocre show a full season (Bionic Woman, for example) just to see it through, and in the hope that it will pull itself together.

We'll see: I didn't bother with the first half of Lost because it seemed such a dopey idea, and since Alias had petered out at the end. That was a grand mistake, and I've since watched Lost with enthusiasm. I certainly hope for Abrams to bring more of his magic to TV.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm still not sold on this show.

Nothing about it grabs me or excites me.

I am going to give it one or two more episodes. Of course, once
I drop out the show will take off like a rocket.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah it's a bit Dull isn't it, well since the season has'nt kicked in yet it's still on the DVR....

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
They really need to check their stock footage. They had a great overhead shot of Fenway, but it didn't have any Green Monster seats.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
There was a voiceover about a third of the way in that felt really off to me. Like it didn't seem to match levels-wise or something, I don't know, made it feel unnatural.

And I'm glad they're keeping with the limited commercials thing, that's actually pretty refreshing to see. More shows should do it.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
More shows should give you an announcement of how long you have to go do other things while the commercials paying for the show air?

I'm betting advertisers are keeping this on a short leash for now to see how it works.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I like it because it tells me how many times to hit "skip forward" on my DVR remote.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Joe_H

Screenwriter

I actually don't care that its telling me how long its going to be all that much, I just like that the show is longer and the commercials are shorter.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I agree on this point though I found last night's episode the most entertaining so far.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

So far, I'm a fan of the show, but even I must concede that point. Around here, we had the eye roll moment before the moment even came.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, all roads lead to Walter and Bell, even though we haven't seen him yet. I forget how long they were supposed to be working together, but the pilot more or less established that Bell founded Massive Dynamic in large part on things he worked on with Walter.

(Also, the aerosol aerogel this week was not Walter-centric)

Pretty darn good episode, though - a couple clever/gross sci-fi devices, a little hint at what's going on behind the scenes. And, of course, a couple laughs at them trying to make some Canadian city appear to be Boston with outdated stock footage, "Harbor Transit" buses, and an odd-looking South Station.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

If I didn't enjoy him so much (and John Noble is just fantastic), I would jump on this bandwagon. He is a barely camouflaged plot cheat in every episode. I had to laugh at his contraption 'hidden in the wall'. Wasn't it in his old car last week? When will they run out of hiding places?

I really hope they quit using this crutch and make Walter WORK to figure out what is going on.

The Bell connection is also ridiculously convenient. Clearly, Bell is our super-villain. As head of Evil Dynamic, he is behind the 'pattern'. I'm wondering what Bell will be? I doubt he's human any longer. I'd guess he has either figured out time travel, or is now an AI of some sort, or a mutated version of himself (self-experimentation gone awry), or multi-clones, or some odd thing. I hope they make it a good twist/reveal.

Louis C

Supporting Actor

Maybe he's a ghost named Jacob living on a small island that no one can seem to find...oh wait, wrong show... ;)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
OK, I'm really starting to like this show (and my wife really liked this week's episode too). This of course means it is headed for cancellation. Unless Ron drops it to counter the effect.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No, sorry guys, the show will not be a hit since I am still watching.

Overall, I have not moved from lukewarm as far as the show is
concerned, but it is holding my interest somewhat. I think what is
working in its favor is that until more of my favorite shows start
returning, there is time for me to watch. If I had something better
to watch (LOST, 24, AMERICAN IDOL) I would have dropped this show.
In other words, it is still the bottom rung of the ladder.

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
I love this show, it has a very unique atmosphere.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask: FOX hasn't picked Fringe up for anything more beyond the initial six episodes, or have I missed something? So three to go? ("The Arrival", "Power Hungry" and one with an unknown title)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks