What's new

Friends - Series finale 5/6/04 (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member

Eh, at least someone else (Larry) is with me, including the writers of Friends :D. Seriously: Did it occur to you that perhaps the show was written like that because it is what most New Yorkers would assume and that no offense, but you are the "weird" one?

Not that movies and shows are accurate reflections of reality, but how many movies or shows featuring NYC airports deal with Newark? In the public consciousness, you fly into and out of NYC from JFK OR LGA. You name those two airports, even Earl from Wisconsin will tell you NYC. EWR is a distant third, it is simpy NOT as obvious. Heck, most people who don't live here don't even know that there is a third major airport just as close.

I have no evidence to give you, we will just agree to disagree...

--
H

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think it's funny how Friends gets all the hype, not to mention the TV guide last week and Frasier, which one 4 or 5 Emmys for Best Comedy doesnt get a cover of it's own or much of the hype.

I really liked Friends for the first few years but it got old real quick. I wouldnt call Friends humor edgy. I would consider humor like Arrested Development and to a certain extent Scrubs a lot more edgy.

Anyone notice how NBC was hyping all there new Summer series and they were all...Reality shows.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Luckily we can live in a world where I can like Friends and Arrested Development. Hopefully 10 years from now I will defend A.D. for being as good in its tenth season as it was in its first.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Patrick Sun, you wrote:

Actually, given the fact the final episode was filmed a couple of months ago and probably finished editing shortly afterward, they already had the master tape for the DVD mastering probably ready some time ago. Given today's DVD mastering technology they probably already started producing the DVD of the final/pilot episode of Friends probably a couple of weeks ago. :)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I liked the episode and espacially liked the song they chose to end it, Embryonic Journey from Jefferson Airplane's 1967 album, Surrealistic Pillow.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Good series finale, lots of closure. I loved watching the rejected Friends casting choices on Leno. I particularly liked when David Arquette said "Who do you have to sleep with to get on the show?" and almost did a spittake when Snoop said "They told me that they had enough black people on the show already."

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Maybe you are right. It may be more popular, however, Seinfeld has been voted by fans and critics as the alltime best television comedy. I guess that means no one was watching Seinfeld. :)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Carlos Garcia, you wrote:

However, MANY fans of Seinfeld felt the show was effectively ruined by that finale, which was written in many ways very differently than the average Seinfeld episode. I think the fans were turned off by the cynical tone of that finale.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I guess I was one of the few that really dug the final Seinfeld. I loved how it finally showed just how bad those four really were to those around them. Then how it came around full circle with them still talking about nothing in the jail cell wrapped the show up nicely. How else could you end a show like that? You couldn't really end it on a super happy note, that wouldn't fit.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

I agree with you there. JFK was the international airport up until the 80's when airlines started expanding international flights from their hubs. It's reputation is built upon that image, not the ghost-town that it had become prior to JetBlue's arrival. I remember going through Terminal 4 about 5 years ago and it was a sea of empty ticket counters. EWR was nothing until Continental Airlines built the hub there in the mid-90's, and barely existed at all prior to 1979. LGA used to be the busiest of the three, but has since fallen to 3rd. However, I just don't buy into your argument that people in Manhattan pretend EWR doesn't exist. The numbers just don't support your theory.

Jeff

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
OK, this is OT, but YAY, finally I've found someone who agrees with me. I love the Seinfeld finale, and find it really frustrating to hear the bashing that it gets.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm reading this thread. We've got another six weeks to go before we see the Friends finale.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

You're absolutely right. It took until the the show's last episode before the show stunk. I'm glad Friends stayed great from start to finish. :)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I already see a review of "Joey" on AICN! How come? Have they already filmed few episodes?!!! I saw an interview with Le Blanc where he says it’s too early to talk about it and that he has not had his closure with friends yet!!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

And you've found another. I thought the Seinfeld finale was outstanding, and I preferred it to the Friends finale.

But really, these two shows were very different. I didn't expect the Seinfeld finale to be warm and fuzzy because the show and its characters really weren't that way to begin with.

I expected a warm, happy ending for Friends and I think they did a fine job of it overall, even if it was a little rushed.

Don't know about the whole airport discussion. I grew up 30 minutes from JFK and 45 from LGA so Newark never enters my mind.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If anyone cares, EW is reporting that the last episode of Friends pulled in 51 million viewers (I guess NBC was correct to charge $20 million for each 30 second commercial spot).

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

The pilot would have been shot already as pilot season is over. They've been turned into the networks who are working out which to order and what their fall schedule will look like to be announced in a week or two.

That doesn't mean there won't be any retooling of that pilot between now and airdate, but at least one episode shoud be in the can.

For instance, Jessica Simpson has fired the writing staff of her fall sitcom because they insisted on making her character look 'ditzy'...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks