What's new

Friday Night Lights - season 4 (DirecTV 101) thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I wonder about that too....
I thought this weeks episode was good, but I really dislike the entire Riggins storyline. They are either setting him up to go down for a major felony crime, which fans don't want, or to break and turn his family in. I don't know what other option is out there for him now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For Becky's subplot, it's the kind that just makes you want to curl up in a fetal position and wish the world away. I just felt bad for all the parties involved. It's a tough thing to go through at such a young age, with different sets of pressure pushing and pulling at you when faced with this situation.
Some don't like the Becky character, but I don't really have a problem with the Becky character, I think the writers just "felt" her character, and something organic came out of what they saw in Madison Burge's portrayal through the early episodes, and they just ran with it. Sometimes, that's how break-out characters just happen on a show, even with casting other more "reliable" talent, like Jurnee Smollett.
Anyhow, a solid dramatic episode, without the histrionics, just emotional turmoil simmering underneath a facade. Sad stuff. FNL has always been able to do the hard episodes without going over the top, and retain a feeling of genuine human emotions seething through the characters.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
FNL had a storyline very similar to "The Practice" this week.

The storyline on Practice left you feeling as though the characters were despicable, self centered bullies... even though a different conclusion was reached.
The storyline on FNL realized every character.. and even though on one level I had more problems with the conclusion, it felt infinitely more "real" and the characters were far easier to understand then what happened on PP.

That's the difference between a well written show and a poor one.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
This show seems to be getting worse with every episode. I don't think I had an interest in a single story line this week (and I don't dislike the Becky character). And kind of risky of coach to tip off the defense on that one play...any way that doesn't get back to Vince (via his buddies on defense)?

And according to the previews:

Tammy's in trouble by the school for "encouraging" Becky to get an abortion. YAWN.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Luke means well, but he's really a "dumb" character. Felt bad about Vince, though, his victim of circumstance subplots just dig a deeper hole for him. Julie and Matt's scene was painful to watch, but I can't blame Julie for basically telling him to stay the hell away from her after just up and leaving her without a word since his departure after burying his father, but she does so out of being hurt, not quite hate...yet. At least we get to see if Coach can put a hurting on JD in the next game.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It appears the tammy problem isn't going away at all. I have almost no interest in that storyline. I don't have anything against Becky as a character, it's just that I can't seem to attach anything to it. IE, if that storyline were given to any other kid, even the girl who's Landry's girlfriend, I think it would have come off in a much different way, and been more compelling to me.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Unfortunately this show has really lost it's way. They either need to call it quits or do a total revamp for the next season (if there is one). Maybe just do a Riggins spin-off.

Spero D

Second Unit
Originally Posted by ScottH

Unfortunately this show has really lost it's way. They either need to call it quits or do a total revamp for the next season (if there is one).

Totally agree. Been meh so far :(

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
What a difference a week makes. After I was ready to write the show off last week they came back with a very strong episode. Goes to show that great writing can make up for mostly uninteresting characters.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Well at least the season ended with two very strong episodes. Although I didn't like the fact that they not only beat the Panthers, but won on a ridiculous 46 yard FG.

Looks like next season will be the last...
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/02/10/friday-night-lights-to-end/

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed the season finale, and with a nice send-off for Saracen after all. The stuff between the Riggins boys got me a little choked up because it's quite the fall from grace for Tim, and his sacrifice isn't just chopped liver. Glad to see Tami's subplot settled, and glad Matt and Landry made up after Landy was still high on his moment of high school football glory. Julie's decision was level-headed, and it's to be filed under the "if you love someone, set them free" principle. Even Luke's gutsy performance on the field, let's hope he didn't suffer long-lasting injuries from being sent into the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks