What's new

Friday Night Lights - Season 2 Thread (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree about the Emmy's, I actually feel that way about every award show, they're popularity contests that award the same shows and people every year pretty much.

If Connie wasn't nominated last year chances are she won't be this year, either.

Shame too, she's great on this show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is it me, or is there a 10 year difference between Lila's mom and dad (Buddy)?

Wonder if the booted coach will show up as a coach against Dillon in the playoffs later this season (a la Voodoo). At least Coach Taylor didn't get off scot-free for his part in getting the new coach fired. Karma.

Street, Street, Street, poor guy, he's grasping at any chance to stand and walk again. Tim's probably right in calling in for Lyla's help.

Sad to see Julie get the proverbial punch in the gut (figuring out that mom was right about the Swede) after getting slapped by Tami last episode. Not sure what Eric was thinking in bringing up her dating issues while she was at the wheel, not a good idea.

Tyra and Landry are now on edge now that the body surfaced.

I don't think Lyla's rehabilitation efforts (of the juvie) will be rewarded, but Buddy had to do something.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was thinking that very thing last night. It seems too obvious, but will make for a nice plotline of an episdoe.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
If McGregor comes back in a later episode as an opposing head coach.. then I have problems with that.

It is extremely rare for a high school team to make a mid-season replacement... let alone two schools... both of which would meet up in a playoff situation. Not likely.

From what I understood of the detective at the police station, he said the missing body was a "closed case".... Maybe there is more to it but maybe it was the button on that story.

I kind of liked the business-like approach of bringing Coach Taylor back to the team. It more more matter of fact then rah rah which it how I thought it would be played out.

The bigger question is what if the team stinks and he has tarnished his legendary status? I think two things did play out that seem more likely a) he will have a hard time getting a college position due to leaving the team mid-season and b) he will lose credibility among his peers in the coaching community of Texas High School Football for being seen as pushing out a coach mid-season.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The detective was closing the case for Tyra's attempted rape. The death/murder case still hasn't been closed yet (not until the autopsy rules it a murder or an accidental death).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
After I my last posting I was thinking more of lines that you have brought up. It would be very unrealistic for him to show up again this season.

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

I think that is what they want us to think though. And if it happens then I think we have a case of sloppy writing.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
The first season of FNL was filled with "obvious" set ups of plotlines that went in directions that were different than expected -- steroids, racism, etc. Until this show fails me, I'll wait until I see how they handle the fired coach before I expect the worst.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Right. It's easy to imagine a kid transfering schools, etc. and that can work out.. but for that coach to give a spiel about how there is no honor in doing that to another coach.. for him to show up later, he'd have to do the exact same thing to someone else and replace them mid season. It would make his character arch laughable. I think (hope) that's the last we see of him this season, unless it still comes up as an unlawful termination, or an appeal to the union.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Not necessarily, another school could have a head coach suffer die unexpectedly, or need to take a sabbatical to attend to family affairs (Andy Reid of the Eagles took time off in the preseason to deal with his rugrats).

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I think having the coach return in the playoffs would be better saved for a third or fourth season but considering those seasons aren't exactly assured, I wouldn't be surprised if they fast forwarded that a bit.

I also couldn't help but wonder if his comment to Coach Taylor was indicative that maybe he would try and bring some form of legal action against him although that would be a little too soon after the suit against him from Street's parents.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finally, the show I love, FNL, is finally firing on all cylinders. Plenty of humor and moments of clarity sprinkled throughout the episode. I cheered when coach finally got him some.

"Lance!"

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Easily best episode of the season, I'd agree Patrick.. finally this is really cooking now.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Another great, GREAT episode!

I just hope more folks jump on the bandwagon and discover this amazing program!

I thought Tim and Lila pulling up to Jason in the pickup just as he reached the shore was a bit of a stretch, but otherwise, the "intervention" was well played out.

I wonder how long it will be before Landry's missing watch is discovered at the crime scene? I expect this will all come to a head just as his football career peaks.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Street made his peace with God, Lt. Dan-style.

Wow. Tyra doesn't mess around when it comes to being cruel to be kind. The only problem is, being with her is the only thing besides football holding Lance together. Losing her might be the impetus to fess up.

It was good to see Matt stick up for himself. The interesting thing, though, is that his antagonism with Smash was fueled largely by unrelated problems in his personal life. I think the same can be said about Julie's treatment of him. Sure, it looks like she's running back to him when things didn't work out, but it could be more that her family is coming back together and she's back to where she was last year mentally.

Tyra and Landry can establish their relationship back further than the night of the killing. They should just tell his dad that they became friends the previous year, when he helped her with her studies. We saw in the pilot that they were hanging out, even if it wasn't romantic. There's nothing unrealistic about a friendship turning to something else. Of course, since dad doesn't know Landry helped her out with the guy before, that should probably go unmentioned. That would just about solve the crime.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Agreed. This was the first episode of the season that really felt like the first-season episodes. I hope it continues.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree that this episode got a lot of the magic back from last season, even though i've loved every ep this season so far.

I also agree with Greg that on the surface it seems that Julie is running back to Matt because things didn't work out with the other dude but undernieth she's more at peace now that her dad is home and her family is back together again. Plus she knows what a great thing she had with Matt, they had something real and that to me is far different than simply running back to someone for comfort etc, I just hope Matt realizes how much Julie really cares for him.

BTW, when did this fued between Smash and Matt start? :confused: They were friends last year (or they got along alright) and maybe i'm just being dense but I can't recall what sparked this whole thing so to me it seems as though they just began to go at each others throats for no reason.

You can definitely feel the screws beginning to tighten for poor Landry. That kid is on a collision course for big trouble and it's painful watching it happen to such a good and decent kid (murder not withstanding, the jerk was trying to hurt Tyra and Landry certaintly didn't mean to kill him with that blow).

Landry has got balls of steel for making that speech in the locker room, I would have been a complete laughing stock at my school for even attempting something like that lol.

Like Greg said, Street def got his Lt. Dan on lol, I half expected to hear Forrest' voice. Regarding the scene where they drive up just as he climbs from the water, we actually have no idea about how much time past before they drove up, he could have been sitting there for several minutes before that.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think the surface antagonism between Matt and Smash was because the first coach was emphasizing the running game and Matt felt left out. Also, he sees Smash becoming a glory hound and just using the team to get noticed by the scouts. What he said to coach in coach's own house was pretty harsh, though.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I actually don't see anything wrong with Smash using the team to get noticed. I mean as long as he continues to give the team 100% it's only natural for him to want to get noticed and that's okay IMO. Smash has always held a high opinion of himself but that aside there's nothing wrong with thinking about what's next after Dillion High IMO.

Yeah, Matt telling Eric off at nevermind his own house his own DINNER TABLE was harsh but someone had to let him know that simply because he came back doesn't automatically mean that all is good. I don't necessarily agree that Eric meant to use the team but, like Smash, he had every right to want to move up to better things than coaching HS football.

I still don't agree with him taking the job at that particular junture, though, the timing could not have been more wrong for Eric, he was a fool for even considering that living away from home when his daughter is at such a critial age and Tami just having their second child could have possibly worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks