What's new

Frequency waterfall charts of a few familiar favourites (1 Viewer)

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Seems to be a pretty big file. I'm trying to download it and I'll analyse it. But from hearing the first 2 secs of this 4sec wav file, I'm guessing it has strong low 20hz-ish bass info. But I can't seem to be able to download a good and complete file.

On my Storm3 I previously had, I found out that the REL storm 3 gave large amounts of distortion and port noise below 25hz. I can't remember exact details now (its been a year back since I sold it off), but port noise is very bad when pushed hard with deep bass. The small unflared port is the main culprits (thus why SVS had larger and flared ports instead)

The SVS PC+ is a keeper. I know I'm keeping mine....... and looking forward to my 2nd 16-46PC+ soon.:)

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Ta for that Mingl. So it appears the Storm's are unable to output sub 25hz bass (either loudly or without port noise) Shame. Nice sub otherwise (I did a response chart, quite flat, no BFD)- wheras my SVS has a peak at 18-28hz, and needs a BFD. Both have room nodes at 56hz (valley)

Oh my name isn't John Smith (bit of a joke) ie John Doe. :-D

The file is just a short sample at a few seconds long, I wanted to keep it

Nick Hallett

Agent
I think it would be cool to see a chart of the scene in LOTR: TTT where Gimli blows into the horn of Helm Hammerhand or whatever it's called.

regards,
NH

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan,

Had done a spectrum analysis a few days back. But I have some uploading problems with my web server.

Anyway, the 4sec wav file you sent me has really deep bass. It has strong bass extension down to 10hz, up till 40hz before slowly tapering off.

I think the storm3 would have a tought time with this sort of deep bass music. Remember my storm 3 having much port noise at 25hz, even at normal listening volume. This is on top of the harmonic distortion (brought about by mechanical stress) the driver has.

I'll try to upload this soon.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
what about The Hulk? my dual AV15 sub is still in the works after my other sub took a dump. what does it put out? man, i can't wait to be able to feel 10hz.

eric

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

I think that The Hulk's strongest bass moment is when the first missile detonates in SF... But I won't do a detailed analysis until I watch the whole movie again to take some notes :)

BTW, plots of Blue Crush available... Quite decent "ear-pressurizing" type of bass...

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
What I find fascinating is how different folk's opinion of "where the low stuff is". There was a thread about Finding Nemo and a debate on where it was. One camp thought Darla tapping on the fish tank was IT. Another thought the whale scene was IT.

I suppose this must be due to how different subs/rooms reproduce different parts of the bass spectrum mixed in with personal perceptions. I'm just surprised at the wide disparity of what we're hearing. Interesting!! I appreciate the posting of these charts.

Gordon

terence

Supporting Actor
What I find fascinating is how different folk's opinion of "where the low stuff is". There was a thread about Finding Nemo and a debate on where it was. One camp thought Darla tapping on the fish tank was IT. Another thought the whale scene was IT.
I found it to be interesting too Gordon, Darla taping on the fish tank is really up in the 30Hz regions. The whale scene is down into the 20Hz regions you can feel the pressure and feel the bass more than you can hear it. At least in my HT. Darla scene is very audible and it excites the room, the bass in this scene reminds me of The Haunting's bass.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The fish tank Darla tap sure was a surprise wasn't it? It about nocked me off the couch and that is a hard place for me to move from.

Gordon I just checked out your link to your HT. It about floored me. I could not believe you would post such a horrible looking HT. I was laughing so hard. Anyway I scrolled on down and what a transformation. HOLY MOLY that has turned out so nice. Very nice job Gordon.:emoji_thumbsup:

I'm with you Terence. I figured Darla to be around 30 with the whale scene going much lower. Both are great/fun scenes though imo.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Thanks Steve'nn! Yeah, Sweeet Nancy is none to pleased that I posted the first shot, but, man, you've got to have FUN with this stuff!! ;)

I was looking for the "big bass" with my system cranked to find it in the whale scene - nothing - and then it hit, enough to have me scrambing for controls before I broke something. It was very brief, but scared me! The family joined to watch the whole movie after this (read sane, kid-friendly levels), so I never got a chance to really hear the Darla scene at the same levels.

Gordon

GeorgeJM

Agent
I think the Darla scene is due mainly because it comes out of nowhere. I was one of those people who thought the Darla scene was THE bass scene in Nemo and didn't think the whale scene was a big deal. That was the first time I watched it, but after watching it a 2nd time the whale scene is much more impressive.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
re: SVS waterfalls

I find that this is true too. Probably some "view" setting that could correct this, but here's what I do:

First, click on any one of the old, black & white waterfalls (these don't have a "*" at the end of the link). Currently, the very first one on the movie list, "15 Megatons" is like this. This opens a smaller, managable window. Don't close this window. Then, you can click on any of the other links (including the new color ones) and they will open in the same smaller window.

This works for me. YMMV.

JKS

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
One new.

The Core. Just one scene. Movie sucked bigtime, bass wasn't anything extra, but some people praised it... Well, perhaps I'm spoiled. :)

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Thanks for that Mingl! If you want the full track title- it's "Photek -the third sequence"

You might also want to play playing....

DJ Sasha- Lcaras
Orbital - Know where to run
Underworld- Kittens
The Chemical Brothers- Influence. Similar to inverse sweep on LOTR Sauron blast.

All above have fast/deep/punchy bass. Good sub testers I think! :)

Paul_Ptaaty

Stunt Coordinator
For me, the whale scene is a lot more fun than darla....darla makes a lot of noise and creates rattles (30-35Hz) but the whale (

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks