What's new

French "Dogville"-DVD (1 Viewer)

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Two editions of Lars von Trier's "Dogville" [2003] will be released on 12/04/03 by french label H2F.

Both editions have the same technical specifications:
- anamorphic Transfer in 2.35:1
- English audio tracks in DD 5.1 and DD 2.0
- French audio track in DD 5.1
- optional subtitles in French, Englisch and Danish

There will be a single-disc-version with an audio commentary by director Lars von Trier and director of cinematography Antony Dod Mantle. This commentary will be available in its original language with subtitles in French, English and Danish. A trailer will be on the disc, too.

A second edition, limited to 5.000 units, with 2 DVDs will be available on the same date. Disc #1 will be identical to the single-disc-version. On the second platter there will bei the following supplemental features:

- 50-minute Making of by Sami Saif
- 23-minute documentary on Lars von Trier and Nicole Kidman at the Cannes film festival 2003
- Test footage
- Interviews with Nicole Kidman, Stellan Skarsgård, Anders Refn, Vibeke Windeløv and Lars von Trier
- a 17-minute Featurette in 16:9
- special effects with commentary by Peter Hjorth
- poster-art-projects with text commentary
- press conferences at Trollhätten 2003, Cannes 2003 and Cannes 2003 with the danish press

Artwork for the single-disc
http://www.dvdfr.com/images/dvd/cove...280/9/9285.jpg

Artwork for the limited edition
http://www.dvdfr.com/images/dvd/cove...280/9/9286.jpg

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
I hate that they are limiting the 2-disc to 5000 units, but I will try my best to get one.

I think that the Danish 2-disc set, due in November, will be close in content to the 2-disc French set, and will not be limited.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
But the Danish disc has no subtitles for the extra features on disc two, meaning that you have to know both English and Danish to get it all. According to Dvdfr the French disc has English, Danish and French subtitles for the extras on disc two ("sous-titres des bonus : FR, ENG, DK"). However Dvdfr also claims that the French subtitles are compulsory ("Sous-titres français imposés"), which contradicts Christian's info.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
I know there is a Korean 2 disc coming out too.. i cant remeber the site name, but if you do a search im know it will come up... i think it was at $35

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
The French disc is out. Does anybody have it? Can they confirm whether or not the French subs are imposed with the English audio track?

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...I don't have the disc... but seeing as how it provides English and French and Danish subtitles, that would preclude any of those from being "imposed", wouldn't it...?...

. . . . . .

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
This has been discussed on DVDtalk. It seems perfectly feasible that the English and Danish subs would only be available with the French audio track. There are at least three different sites (including Amazon.fr) which say the French subs are imposed with the original-language (English) soundtrack, so I think I have ample reason to ask for a confirmation one way or the other before I take the plunge, instead of relying on assumptions.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
I ended up getting the very nice Danish release. I was too worried about the subs being permanent on the English track on the French release. The packaging on the Limited French set was gorgeous, though.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
The Korean limited Edition:

... and the extra features of the 2-DVD-Set from Denmark:

DISC 1
- Selected audio commentary by director Lars von Trier and cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle: 1) "Tom Meets Grace" [27:04 Min., 2.35:1 anamorphic], 2) "Grace follow's Tom's Plan" [14:55 Min., 2.35:1 anamorphic], 3) "Fourth of July after all" [8:34 Min., 2.35:1 anamorphic], 4) "Dogville bares it Teeth" [8:20 Min., 2.35:1 anamorphic], 5) "The Last Illustration" [64:09 Min., 2.35:1 anamorphic]
- 1 Trailer

DISC 2
- Documentary "Dogville Confessions" [2003 , Director: Sami Martin Saif; 53:17 Min., 1.78:1 anamorphic, english subtitles]
- Documentary "Trier, Kidman og Cannes" [2003, Director: Ole Kolster; 23:28 Min., english subtitles]
- Featurette "Dogville Test" [6:05 Min., english subtitles] with optional audio commentary by director Lars von Trier and cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle
- Interviews: 1) Nicole Kidman [2003, Interview: Andrew Warne; 5:55 Min.], 2) Nicole Kidman [2003, Interview: Ole Kolster; 3:49 Min.], 3) Stellan Skarsgård [2003, Interview: Ole Kolster; 7:14 Min., english subtitles], 4) Anders Refn [2003, Interview: Ole Kolster; 6:05 Min., english subtitles], 5) Vibeke Windelov [2003, Interview: Ole Kolster; 7:00 Min., english subtitles], 6) Lars von Trier [05/20/03, Interview: Ole Kolster; 4:57 Min., english eubtitles], 7) Lars von Trier [05/23/03, Interview: Ole Kolster; 5:36 Min., english subtitles]
- Confessions: 1) Week One [4:05 Min., english subtitles], 2) Week Two [1:24 Min.], 3) Week Three [1:48 Min.], 4) Week Four [4:11 Min., english subtitles], 5) Week Five [2:43 Min.], 6) Week Six [3:35 Min.]
- Featurette "Visual Effects" [8:27 Min.] with optional audio commentary by visual effects supervisor Peter Hjorth
- Photo gallery "Poster Artwork"
- Press Conferences: 1) "Trollhättan 2003" [01/30/03; 10:10 Min.], 2) "Cannes 2003" [05/19/03; 20:50 Min.], 3) "Skandinavisk Presse, Cannes 2003" [05/19/03; 3:25 Min., english subtitles]
- DVD-Credits

All supplements are in English. Bonus features, that are part or full Danish, are marked with "english subtitles".

The french DVD has optional french and danish subtitles on the original english audio track. No permament subtitles!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Hmmmm. I haven't seen this deluxe version from Korea listed anywhere yet. The regular 2-disc edition comes out in a few days, though.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Hmm...from what it looks like the LE can't be ordered (or pre-ordered, as the case may be). Maybe it was announced and subsequently canceled?

Nick TH

Auditioning
You can get the R3 LE Deluxe set from DVDAsian (I can't post a direct link as I don't have enough posts, but it is simply a .com). They are based in California so you should have no customs problems either.

It is priced at $29.95, and $31.90 shipped to anywhere in the US.

I ordered it late on 24th Dec and got a shipping notice within a few hours.

;)

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I ordered the DeLuxe Korean DVD set from DVDASIAN last Sunday and it arrived today. It is an incredible package. The Script book is well done and in both Korean and English with lots of color photographs. There is also an original film strip and poster card. The outer box is book type and very sturdy.

Some of the recent special editions out of Korea lately have been impressive. e.g. Dances With Wolves 4-disc SE in leather like case.

Matt_P

Second Unit
The Korean 2-disc (official, region free, NTSC) looks like it contains the same features as the Danish edition. I've heard the PAL to NTSC transfer is very good (anamorphic, 2.35:1). The LE seems to be pretty much sold out. Anyone else have the Korean version yet?

I saw Dogville in Denmark last summer. It's a superb film--I hope Lion's Gate doesn't release the shortened version in the US. It sounds like they are going to release the full 178 min cut after all.

Matt Shiv

Agent
I have the Korean box set. Ordered it from Poker Industries on Christmas Day and got it before New Year's. I had never ordered from them before and was VERY pleased with the pricing and quick shipping.

The dvd is terrific. All of the menus on both discs are in English and the second disc contains some terrific extras. I haven't gone through them completely and I noticed there were a few interviews that were in Dutch (and subtitled in Korean only), but most everything I clicked on and had a chance to watch was in English and you could turn off the Korean subs.

The film itself really seems to be a native NTSC transfer. If not, it's a damn good job. The image was sharp and looked really nice to my eyes. I haven't watched any of the commentary yet, but it was great to watch the 'visual effects' supplement on the bonus disc after seeing the movie. For a film that seems incredibly simplisitc, there were actually some challenges for the filmmakers to achieve the looks they desired.

I guess the boxset is already difficult to get ahold of (I saw one on ebay for over $100 yesterday), but the 2 disc version without the box should be pretty easy to get ahold of and is well worth it if you are a fan of Von Trier.

Nick TH

Auditioning
All the extras that are non-English have Korean subtitles only. Luckily there are only 2 maybe 3 smallish sections that are not English. There is also a text appendix about the cast, synopsis, crew, etc that is all in Korean.

The rest are fine though :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks