What's new

Free SACD with Nov. 21st Rolling Stone Magazine! (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Except for the Norah Jones and Billy Joel songs I have all those SACDs (or have them ordered). But good for you for those that don't.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I am hearing really good things about Elton John on Steve Hoffman. I don't believe I have the Billy Joel song yet either.

What I like about the track listing is the variety of music which should appeal to a broad range of folk.

So does this issue actually hit tomorrow, or just carry tomorrow's date? When does it hit?
I think the Dec. 11th issue hits newstands tomorrow, but don't hold me to it as I am not in the publishing business. ;)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe I have the Billy Joel song yet either.
Anthony's Song can be found on The Stranger.

Nice list of songs, though I do already own a copy in SACD of most of them. The Elton John track should be nice, but I think the full SACD is scheduled for release next week anyway. Hmm...what to do...

Does anyone know the news stand price on Rolling Stone?

J

BrandonMLR

Auditioning
Funny - something just doesn't sound right on the SACD sampler to me. "Money" and "Come Away With Me," unless I'm just nuts, sound a little thinner than the actual DSOTM and Come Away With Me hybrid discs - especially Money - as if it were lacking the punch I'm used to. Inferior disc pressing, perhaps???

Oh well, I will say that "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road" sounds nice in 5.1 :)

Mark_Waldrep

Stunt Coordinator
It's another Saturday morning and I'm about to get busy mixing the 5.1 tracks for our "Surf City All-Stars" project (big surf guitars including "Skunk" Baxter of Stelly Dan and Dean Torannce of Jan and Dean) but saw my name mentioned in the above thread.

I apologize to Lee and John if my involvement in this forum in sporatic...it really does take 14 hours a day every day to meet the demands of this business. We are stuffing a lot more boxes everyday than we ever did before...business is growing steadily.

Anyway, on the "flipper" front I'm somewhat contrained as to what I can say because of confidentiality within the DVD-Audio marketing consortium. Some information has come out in audiorevolution.com and some from Medialine magazine. There will be hybrid DVD-Audio/CD discs early in the coming year. I am working on many of them for my own company and am aware of plans for many other from the other labels. That's about as much as I can say. I have inventory in my shop right now and am simply waiting to be part of the big release.

As for the marketing of SACD with RS magazine...it will bring some recognition to Sony's new format, but I doubt it will do much for the overall high-resolution format. The "war" is over...hybrid players at all levels are the norm. Buy the software that you want in the format that it is available...pure and simple. I do have to disagree with Lee's statement that artists are moving more agressively to SACD than to DVD-Audio...that's wishful thinking I'm afraid. My own experience is that a well integrated package of high-resolution, multichannel audio AND a complete home theater presentation with lots of features in a format already installed in 45% of American households is what is turning artists to the DVD format.

AIX Records continues to grow...new projects with Paul Williams, Asleep at the Wheel, Melissa Manchester, Willie Nelson, and Jonathan McEuen will be forthcoming in 2004.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
My own experience is that a well integrated package of high-resolution, multichannel audio AND a complete home theater presentation with lots of features in a format already installed in 45% of American households is what is turning artists to the DVD format.
Why aren't we seeing more artists on DVDA then?

Why isn't Warner Bros. doing much more with its vast catalog?

Why isn't the DVD group offering free sampler promotions to that "45%" base of customers?

It just honestly seems to me that much work needs to be done...

I am glad that some flipper discs are coming out and I look forward to hearing them.

I am also happy to see such a class group of artists coming up. Please send me the Willie Nelson. :)

Maybe the DVDA group should work to make SACD and DVDA coexisting standards like DD/DTS.

I bought Rolling Stone and I must say it is a fairly well thought campaign. Here are some elements I like:

1. The Tommy and Elton John tracks are awesome.
2. The sampler is a diverse mix of tracks.
3. There is a chance to win some Super Audio and HT gear (damn, I did not win.) if you have "track 10"
4. The print ad introducing the SACD sampler is the best thing I have seen in terms of clearly explaining what Super Audio is and how the disc plays on redbook players as well. I really think the RS reader will enjoy it.
5. A very good value for $5.00 cover price.
6. Good integration with some of the 500 albums list.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I actually went to 2 Borders Books today and both of them didn't have a clue what I was talking about? They kept pointing me to the Jessica Simpson RS. I kept telling them that a Top 500 Special Edition was coming out, they just stared at me.

So Borders did not have it, but my local Giant Supermarket did...go figure.

Pink Floyd track sounded great
Nora was crystal
Not an Elton fan, but very nice

Was impressed with the intro to Sweet Emotions, but the bass was pretty muddled. I don't know if this is my player or what, but I'm trying to figure it out.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got the 500 issue. The disc is fine. I should burn the magazine, it's trashy.
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

KrisM

Second Unit
Have and Canadians found the issue? I checked a few stores today and the Jessica Simpson issue was all I saw.

Regards
KrisM

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator

Good to know this disc is here, and the song list looks great. Certainly worth five bucks. I'll try to find a copy tomorrow.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This thread reminds me of why I have spent almost no time in this area for the last couple of months (check out my post counts). Sniping at DVD-A (alternating with paying lip service), provoking and soliciting responses (only to complain when the response arrives), and the usual hollow threats to leave the forum.

At this point if everybody really 'cared about the music' they'd get a hybrid player and shut the hell up about the so-called format war (two tiny niche formats battling it out for who becomes the least obscure).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Sniping at DVD-A
I'm fairly new to hi-rez formats. My introduction has been through the Pioneer 563A DVD/SACD/DVD-A player.

I haven't listenned enough to DVD-A titles to judge, but my personal preference towards SACD involves the capability for Hybrid layerring with a standard CD track.

I get most of my listening time in while driving. My car is home to the best of my CD collection. It's a tough call for me to buy music that will work in only one player in my house.

I'm certainly not against DVD-A. I've been searching for Bjork's Vespertine on DVD-A for a month now. I think if DVD-A were generally released as a 2 disc set with a standard CD, I would be satisfied. Since I view the majority of the cost of a CD as a "license fee" rather than for the piece of round shiny plastic, I don't think this is too much to ask.

Hopefully manufacturers of SACD will make Hybridding standard. Hopefully manufacturers of DVD-A will make dual releases a standard. Until that time I'm going to be very selective of what I buy in either format.

David Scott

Stunt Coordinator
John, The Flaming Lips DVD-A does come with the redbook cd included in the package. I agree with you about the drawback of DVD-A not being hybrid. As we all know this is about to change very soon, so any criticism of DVD-A not being able to play in the car rings hollow. To me sacd's biggest drawback is the lack of video, but I've heard this may change soon as well. Let's hope both formats improve, because I too have the Pioneer player and could care less which format I buy, but would be happier buying both without their respective drawbacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks