What's new

Freaks and Geeks reviews? (1 Viewer)

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

Is there anything in particular you would like to know about it?

It comes with a 27 page booklet that features an introduction by Paul Feig. Then there is a quick FAQ on the series and the DVD (about five questions or so). Then there is a page for each episode, with a list of the cast, songs, special features and a short note by Paul Feig. The actual disks are held in what appear to be thin hard plastic disk holders. Each one is about the size of one of those slim cases, only the spines of each disk holder are attached to the spine of the digipack. It's really easy to use and is much better than the digipacks that are usually used for multi-disked releases.

Chris Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, i was looking specifically for info on physical case design. So, it sounds like thinpak style cases attatched binding style to a digipak book like cover with a slipcase?

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
Yep. I was having trouble with the description because I personally haven't seen any other cases that looks like this one. The holders are a bit thicker than slim packs, but they're thinner than normal alpha cases. Personally, I wouldn't mind if companies were to switch to a case similar to this one for the large multi-disk releases.

TedT

Second Unit
So is this a comedy or a drama? Or both? Is it more funnier or dramatic?

If I like Buffy, will I like this?

Just wondering if I should pick it up...

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

It's a bit of both, actually. I can't really think of any other shows to compare it so as I really think this show was one-of-a-kind. Basically, it centered around the adventures of two groups (the freaks and the geeks) as they dealt with the many issues that teenagers face in high school (bullies, dating, sex, fitting in, etc).

Unlike other shows that took place in high school (*cough*90210*cough*), this one actually had real teenagers in the cast. What really made this show so good (for me, anyway) was the characters. They were unique yet familiar at the same time. I can think of a person that I went to high school for each of the characters on the show. The characters dealt with real issues yet remained likeable in the process, thus preventing the show from feeling like an after-school special.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Freaks & Geeks is more funny than not but it's the squrimy kind of humor where you can feel the awkwardness of the moment right along with the characters. So you're more laughing with them than at them.

It isn't tongue-in-cheek or ironic or self-aware or whatever you would call something like Buffy. I'd say knowing that someone likes Buffy is almost perfectly non-informative when it comes to guessing whether they would like Freaks & Geeks. For instance, the dialog in Joss's shows is generally almost superhumanly cool and full of double-meanings and references. The characters in Freaks & Geeks speak in a much more naturalistic style and they are literally capable of being speechless for a moment while they figure out what to say next.

I understand that some people find certain episodes of Buffy to be very moving (I've never watched it enough to get that involved, myself). So maybe this isn't a contrast but I'll say that there are moments in Freaks & Geeks that will break your heart, at least if you've ever been young and unsure of your place in the world.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

This is a very good description. The humor comes from situations the characters are in and most of the situations are very close to true-life, as I remember high school and being a teenager.

TedT

Second Unit
I'm wondering if I'd want to even relive those days! I guess I'm out on this. May try to rent it if the local video store carries it.

Thanks.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
TedT,

In all honesty, even though I think it's one of the best shows ever on television I can only watch it when I'm in a pretty bulletproof mood. When I bought the DVD set my wife warned me that I may end up it without her. It's mighty intense for a "dramedy" (as it was intended).

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Yes.

Although the writing is not the same, all three shows stand out as better writing and characters than average TV. i think if you also ahve enjoyed the Sopranos- then Frwaks and Geeks would make a good addition to your library.

-V

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Just got the standard set today and I must say, I really like the packaging. All TV sets should use this or slim cases. I don't like the fold out hubs...

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
You definitely need to be bullet-proof when watching it, because there are a hell of a lot of scenes that just hurt to watch. In fact, a friend of mine watched one episode and refused to watch any more because it really did bring out a lot of the pain.

But it is a great show, there are a lot of laughs in it - certainly enough laughs in it to soften the embarrassment of watching your high school days on TV.

But it's a great show, I do loveit - it's one of my favourites. And it's a lot better than most of the stuff out there.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Paul Feig really did a great job of portraying a more accurate depiction of high school life. Even though I to high school in the mid '60s, there is a lot of stuff in this series I can identify with. It is so refreshing to see an intellegently written series about high school expereinces.

Brian

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered the regular edition from DeepDiscountDVD, which came in last night. It came with an additional booklet like the one inside the set, but this one was signed by four of the producers/actors. It looks exactly like the one inside, except for the signatures on the outside cover. It certainly was a nice little surprise. Did anyone else get something like this?

-B

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to this thread, I'm $127.20 lighter in the wallet. I just found the yearbook concept too compelling not to order it, even as a total blind buy.

MelissaAngel

Auditioning
Brian, I also ordered from DDD. Except I didn't get an autographed booklet. I was, however, charged extra. That's pretty sneaky of DDD to do that to me. :rolleyes:

Paul said on the official site that they did about 200 of those autographed booklets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks