What's new

Freaks and Geeks reviews? (1 Viewer)

MattGentry

Second Unit
So sad. Just watched the final episode. Tear...

And now I'm watching the seventh disc. Watched all the deleted scenes (including commentary by Bill and Sam) and am working on the "Smorgasbord" section.

Can't wait to watch them again...

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I love The West Wing. I love Sports Night. Would I love Freaks and Geeks? I say this because of the loaded 8 disc set they're selling sounds very nice but $120 is a LOT of money for a blind buy. Here's what I thought my strategy could be: Buy the yearbook set, don't open it, rent the regular set for free through Netflix and if I love it enjoy the yearbook set and if I don't eBay the yearbook set. What should I do?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'm really broke right now, but after The Meet Me in St. Louis 2-Disc set, the standard edition of this will be my next DVD purchase once I have money again. I'm thinking this is going to be one of my all-time favorite shows, right up there with The Wonder Years and the Sorkin shows!

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Why, oh WHY can't I use my $50 Best Buy gift card and $20 rewardzone coupons to take the edge off the $120 price of the yearbook??

I simply cannot justify paying $75 more for it. I really, REALLY want to, but cannot. I'll just focus on the positive. I'LL FINALLY HAVE EVERY EPISODE OF F&G ON DVD TODAY... FOR FREE!!!....

Now, please stop talking about how F'n GREAT the the yearbook set is!!!! ;)

Thanks.

C

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
I got my "Fan Edition" or "Yearbook Edition" or "Limited 8-disc Deluxe Edition" or whatever you choose to call it in the mail on Friday.
It truly is beyond anything any fan could ever dream of. It has instantly moved to the top of my favourite DVDs pile (not that the pile actually exists).

Here's some thoughts:

The packaging for this thing is unprecedented. Nothing in my collection comes close to this type of detail and quality. It's exactly as billed, a yearbook - incredibly strong binding, an embossed hard cover, pages that feel exactly like any yearbook, and genuine (reproduced - sorry, oxymoron) signatures covering the entire insides of the front and back covers. These signatures look exactly like the scribbles of anyone who bothered to buy a yearbook in high-school. The attention to detail is uncanny (and I don't even like that word!).

Within the book are over 80 pages of cast photos, a detailed episode guide, multiple essays/ FAQs/ diaries by the creator (Paul Feig), executive producers (Judd Apatow), and regular director (Jake Kasdan). Consider my pants thoroughly creamed (and I don't even like that expression!). The last few pages are extra thick cardboard with sleeves that each of the 8 discs slide into nicely (they are encased in a cushion-y material like CD cases have, so scratching isn't a worry despite the seemingly awkward manuevering to remove them. There's a 28 page bookelt that comes with the regular 6-disc edition, so I imagine some of the material is in that (like the very detailed episode guide - which includes a complete guest cast breakdown; facts on each of the episodes from Paul and Judd; a list of songs in that episode; etc).

The disc contents themselves are of course the best part (though the package they came in has practically been a security blanket for me the last 3 days). Each disc has three episodes that look and sound amazing. the show isn't that old really, but it still looks brilliant, and the sound outstanding - especially the theme song, perhaps the best of alltime, well probably tied with Three's Company and Welcome Back Kotter. The high cost of this set was mostly due to securing the huge amount of songs used in the series, but I can't imagine the show without them, so I'm more than willing to pay the high price after they did the same to get these songs.

Each episode has at least one commentary, though most have two, and each commentary has anywhere from 2 to 6 people on it. I haven't listed to much of the commentaries yet, but will after making it through the whole season once. Each episode also has anywhere from 3-5 deleted scenes accompanying them and each disc has it's own set of audion footage and behind-the-scenes footage and promos.

The last 2 discs are completely unique to this set and seem insanely vast and impressive. I'll get to them when I'm done the series (I've watched the first 6 episodes [2 discs] so far) and will surely love it all.

The episodes themselves are as great as I remember them, with so much to laugh at and admire in each episode. Each of the many characters are so unique and fun to watch. This, combined with a great filmming style and fanatstic writing, keep as one of the best shows I've ever experienced. That the show's star Linda Cardellini is stuck in the Scooby-Doo movies and lost in the huge cast of ER right now is somewhat disappointing considering how much of a fan I am of her's here, but at least she's getting steady work I suppose. I'm happily falling in love with her Lindsay character again, just as I dig most every other actor on the show - including heterosexual man-lust object James Franco. The subjects addressed in each episode are never overly serious or high-concept, but are very consistent in their loose tone and focus on the characters.

This mini-review was pretty muddled due to excitement, and didn't really provide anything you couldn't find out from the official website or reviews, but at least it helped me share my enthusiasm.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Actually, scratching is a worry. I don't think they're not very cushion-y. I've abandoned the CD cases and put them in my CD wallet.

Cliff C

Grip
Did anyone in Vancouver, BC (or the rest of Canada)find this at the B&M stores?
I called Futureshop and they didn't have it in stock or in their upcoming release lists.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Damn it! I saw this today and wanted so badly to have the money to buy it. Why, God, why can't I have it???

/End Transmission

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
SHOUT! Factory just sent me a copy of the Yearbook edition...

If you are a fan, buy it. If you've never seen the show, you'll love it and wish you'd bought the yearbook. It's beautiful. I'll get a review up at DVDTown.com tonight.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just purchased the regular set yesterday and watched the episodes on the first disc. What a treat this is. With 2 commentaries per episode I can watch this forever.

For those of you purchasing at a B & M, don't forget that Circuit City has the best price of $44.99. Best Buy will price match this. I did this to use some BB gift certificates.

Bryn G

Agent

Cliff - according to the official Freaks and Geeks website, the regular version of this set streets in the U.S. this week, but not until April 27th in Canada. If you ordered the special set you should get it earlier (I'm in Canada and I received my set in the mail yesterday).

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I didn't watch this show until the mini-marathon where they burned off the last 3-4 episodes. I then wondedered why I didn't watch when it started....
I plan on picking up the standard set, as much as I enjoyed what little I saw, and as cool as the set seems, I don't think I could justify 120 bucks for it....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks