What's new

Frasier and Cheers – Sitcom Recommendation! (1 Viewer)

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, "Cheers" was edited on film. The article I linked to on the first page gave some info on that. Each episode was re-pieced together with the film negatives to match, frame-by-frame, the video edit. It's the new film edit that was transfered to HD, and was likely downconverved for the DVD release.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
It's not the distributor's fault. It's just that by the time Frasier aired, post-production on filmed shows was being done only after the show was converted to video. Which makes editing easier, but doesn't look as good on DVD as a show that was edited on film. But it's not like there are film masters of Frasier that Paramount is ignoring; the original masters are on video.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
But it's not like there are film masters of Frasier that Paramount is ignoring; the original masters are on video.
that's even more disappointing; now we'll never get to see frasier in HD. have to admire the suits back in the 70s/80s for choosing film. smarts bunch of bananas there were. now all their shows are going to be HD ready, whereas those that made the decision to go to video (presumably to save $$$) have left us with ... low def video. that'll look great on HD.

still not sure i'll invest in frasier DVDs though. i know these episodes almost off by heart. needed something [special] to entice me (ie good video). just don't think the carrot on that stick looks juicier enough ...

greg_t

Screenwriter
I was able to pick up this set tonight. I am a huge Cheers fan, and after years of watching these episodes on television, I think the video quality is fantastic, especially for episodes this old. I have all of these episodes on syndication, and it is amazing how many lines were cut out for syndication. I also think the packaging is very nice. The only problem I see is the mix up on the order on the episodes as already discussed. If anyone is one the fence about picking this set up, I recommend it. Thank you Paramount for the great releases lately. Just this week, I've picked up the Cheers set and the Jack Ryan set. Keep on bringing the Cheers sets and DTS!!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It's not like Frasier is loaded with visual effects. Couldn't they go back to the film elements and recreate the editing? Would this be harder than I think or perhaps they don't have them on film anymore?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Cheers was one of my all time favorites. I had taped them all on (GASP!) Beta! I believe every season was shot on film.

Ric

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I am getting seriously addicted to watch one sitcom episode every night before sleep! It puts me in a good mood! Well after finishing watching a region 2 release of Friends season 9 on DVD, I was out of sitcoms and thought of finally trying Frasier season 1.

I have currently seen half of season one and my God I was in for a great surprise. I’m enjoying this a lot more than Cheers (season 1). I have warmed up to it a lot. Maybe it’s not warming up to the characters but I know one thing, that I’m actually laughing watching Frasier.

With Cheers the most I got was a smile on my face from time to time but with Frasier I laugh out loud! The characters may not be as likeable as the Cheers people but the laugh factor is a lot higher for me. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I always thought Frasier was more smartly written than Cheers was. Haven't purchased either set yet - they're lower on my list than other things but I'd get Frasier over Cheers.

If you are still looking for good sitcoms to watch before bed, get Sports Night.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Thanks! I have never heard of "Sports Night" but I will remember it and try it someday.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Sam, I am also 1 that really enjoys Frasier in fact I've gone through season 1 twice and haven't made it all the way through Season 1 of Cheers yet, but I'm working on it. I must also agree, Sports Night is an off the charts awesome sitcom that would be worth the purchase, plus you buy the set that is out and bam you've got the whole series.

I can't wait for January 6 for Cheers and Frasier Season 2.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Try and sample "Sports Night" somewhere before buying it outright. I'm a huge "Frasier" fan, but I simply cannot stand "Sports Night." It's very different in style (and I find that style annoying).

MattBu

Stunt Coordinator
Try and sample "Sports Night" somewhere before buying it outright. I'm a huge "Frasier" fan, but I simply cannot stand "Sports Night." It's very different in style (and I find that style annoying).
I would say that Sportsnight is definitely high on my list but I concur that it's definitely not for everyone (As evidenced by its cancellation). Im curious Malcolm if you also dislike the West Wing? I love both shows like water and air and I think most fans of one would be fans of the other, curious if anyone that hates Sportsnight likes the West Wing though.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I love Sports Night but never really got in to the West Wing. I must agree though that the Sports Night style of Commedy is different from the Frasier style, I like the show, but even I find the way the dialog is done to be a bit too much.

Sports Night also suffered because of the fact that most people just assumed that the show was meant for Sports fans, so not that many people that aren't sports fans checked out the show. Irronically, a friend of mine doesn't care for Sports at all but really enjoys Sports Night.

To make this somewhat topical, I thought Cheers went for the lower-brow humor (don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with that) Frasier was more of the eletism humor (nothing wrong with that either) and Sports Night was a mix of the 2 with parts of other types of humor thrown in. I enjoy all 3...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

No, I'm not a fan of WW either. Both have that repetitive dialogue that Sorkin loves so much (naturally, since he wrote both). But I think it was less pronounced on WW.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
I have to agree with the last two posts:

Sports Night was a great (but flawed) show. However, I never found West Wing to be that compelling; out of respect for Sorkin (who is a great writer and works tirelessly, it seems) I tried watching West Wing a few times but simply never got into it.

I think Sorkin is better served by the 22 minute running time and the unique mixture of comedy and drama found in Sports Night.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I got them! What a better gift for the holidays than to have both Frasier and Cheers season 2! Here are 2 screen grabs from the menus of Frasier and Cheers season 2!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I can't stand West Wing, but Sports Night was decent.

The problem with Sports Night was that it awkwardly veered back and forth between comedy and drama, and never really got into a comfortable groove. Very smartly written dialogue, though. (And don't expect too many laughs -- it's more of a clever show than a laugh-out-loud show.)

Rodrick

Second Unit
Hmmm, well both are great. I'd have to say Frasier. At first I didn't want to start buying the DVD's but they were cheap under $30 Canadian for both Cheers and Frasier cause we had a sale on tvboxsets first come first served at our stores here.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I got Cheers season 4 yesterday and watched the first episode and my God the image quality is so bad that you cannot even imagine it! It’s quite embarrassing.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Cheers, I'm probably the only person who thinks that Kelsey Grammer wasn't funny on Frasier, he was hilarious on Cheers, but IMO he lost something when he went to Frasier :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks