1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Frasier and Cheers – Sitcom Recommendation!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Sam Davatchi, May 9, 2003.

1. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Well-Known Member

I saw today the Region one sets of both “Frasier” and “Cheers” season 1. Knowing nothing about these series, I’m wondering which one is better and more fun. I want to try one. I enjoy Friends and M*A*S*H. Thanks

2. LukeB

LukeB Well-Known Member

Go with "Cheers." It's one of the most-loved series of all time and for good reason. Very funny show, with far wider appeal than "Frasier."

3. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Ditto. "Cheers" is an all-time classic, deserving to be mentioned in the same breath with "I Love Lucy", "The Dick Van Dike Show", "All In The Family", "M*A*S*H", & "Seinfeld". "Frasier" is a very good show, but it's not quite in that company.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

What Luke wrote: Cheers

Frasier is good, but the last couple of seasons have been somewhat disappointing.

5. Brett_B

Brett_B Premium
    Supporter

Since you are unaware of these two sitcoms, it is only reasonable to point out that Frasier is a "spin-off" of Cheers.

I'll also give my recommendation for Cheers.

6. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Well-Known Member

on the flip side of the coin, the first series of frasier was in my opinion it's strongest (although the second was very good as well). i would say it's definitely worth a purchase.

as to is cheers. actually cheers is probably more "fun" so it might suit your requirements better.

personally, i'd get both. it's a win, win situation.

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Well-Known Member

I think both are excellent. Cheers was excellent from the first episode to the last. Frasier has lost my attention lately, but I intend to get all the DVD sets until at least the recent seasons.

8. Chet_F

Chet_F Well-Known Member

I say CHEERS!! to Cheers!! Best sitcom ever!!!

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Well-Known Member

Malcolm
    I guess I'm in the minority (so what else is new?), but I much prefer "Frasier." I think the quality of the cast is much higher than "Cheers" and I'm not a big fan of Ted Danson or Shelley Long.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Well-Known Member

Cheers!

11. SteveKNJ

SteveKNJ Well-Known Member

Cheers, especially the first 3 seasons or so, and the last 2. Frasier is a worthy spinoff, but get Cheers first, and if you like the Frasier charachter in Cheers, then go for Frasier next.

12. Alex S

Alex S Well-Known Member

Cheers !

Are there any reviews out yet for Cheers - 1st Season ?

13. BrettB

BrettB Well-Known Member

Sam enters the software section

EVERYONE: SAAAAAAM!
    WOODY: Can I get ya a Cheers Season Set, Mr. Davatchi?
    SAM: A little early, isn't it Woody?
    WOODY: For a DVD?
    SAM: No, for stupid questions.

[​IMG]

14. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Well-Known Member

I like both (though Frasier sucks now), but here's the deciding factor in favor of Cheers: In 1982, when it premiered, sitcom episodes were several minutes longer than they were by 1993 (when Frasier premiered). Cheers episodes would be about 24-25 minutes without commercials, as opposed to 22 or so for Frasier. That means that Cheers episodes get cut much more heavily in syndication than Frasier episodes, and that means that by buying the DVD of Cheers you'll be getting more scenes that you wouldn't be able to see in syndication.

I like both shows, as I said, and would recommend both sets, but Cheers gives you more scenes for your money.

15. Sam Davatchi

Saw all the recommendations and got the cheers. Saw my first episode tonight. The menus are a little light. You have only one main menu and the name of the episodes are written on it. Clicking on the name, starts the episode. There is no specific sub-menus for each episode like M*A*S*H.

My eyes could playing tricks on me but the picture quality looks extremely good. Maybe even better than my friends sets! Strange!

The other thing that came to my attention right away, is the sound. The sound recording technology has advanced a lot since then! The sound sounds like it comes from a distance and has kind of an echo. By the way, was this show recorded with a live audience?

16. Sam Davatchi

Grabbed 2 pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Well-Known Member

weren't the first few series of cheers shot on film ? might explain why they look good. thanks for the screen grabs.

18. LukeB

LukeB Well-Known Member

So, Sam, aside from the technical discussion...do you like the show?

19. Randy B A

Randy B A Well-Known Member

I will be buying both, and zi hope Wings gets released so I can complete my cheers and frasier collections.

20. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Well-Known Member

Cheers was a good show, but frankly, I don't think it has aged very well. And gawd, I cannot stand Kirstie Alley (appearing much later seasons).

I'm not sure why many folks are down on Frasier, especially recent seasons. I think the show is as strong as ever, and a bit wittier/more clever than Cheers.

Jon