What's new

Frankenstein Classics on the Big Screen! (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Loew's Jersey, the premiere movie palace venue presenting 35mm prints of classic films in the New York City area, is pleased to announce a very special event:

We are honored to premiere a new 35mm print of a very historical film which was considered lost for many decades - Thomas Edison's 1910 production of Frankenstein, starring Charles Ogle! Presented with the assistance of the Fort Lee Film Commission, it's part of our Frankenstein weekend scheduled for April 26 and 27, 2003.

We will also screen the classic 1931 Universal production of FRANKENSTEIN starring Boris Karloff; Hammer Studios REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN starring Peter Cushing (presented in an absolutely stunning archival, dye-transfer Technicolor print) plus the Mel Brooks comedy classic YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN. All films will be shown on the big screen in 35mm with authentic carbon arc illumination, replicating the original theatrical experience from the films original release.

Details for this very special weekend are still in the works. Please keep an eye on our website www.loewsjersey.org for updated information.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Sounds great, Bob! The only thing missing is THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN , the best of all Frankenstein films.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
These shows will be fantastic, to be sure. Bob and the gang at the Loew's do a wonderful job. You can be sure that I will volunteer to display a load of Hammer film memorabilia from my collection...

For those of you who can't get to the Loew's - or who want to support the efforts of the Fort Lee Film Commission - there will also be a invitation-only fund-raising premiere of Edison's Frankenstein at Guttenberg's Galaxy Triplex on Thursday, the 24th, at 7pm. This presentation will feature live pipe organ accompaniment by Jeff Barker, along with a showing of the 2002 restored version of Metropolis. Info available here: Galaxy's Biograph Series

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
This is a pretty elaborate April Fool's joke. I can't imagine that Al Detlaff will actually let anyone see his Million-Dollar Print of the Edison Frankenstein, especially when he realizes that the industrious will be there with digital cameras filming it off the screen for production of bootlegs.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You know, I didn't realize until last night that I had posted this announcement on April 1. However, I can assure you that it's for real. We'll be screening Edison's Frankenstein, in 35mm, and Mr. Detlaff will be in attendance.

We'll also be screening some incredibly rare archival Frankenstein trailers in 35mm, including BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, FRANKENSTEIN 1970, I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN, EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN (in IB Technicolor,) and many more. Keep an eye on our website for updates. If you are a fan of classic horror, this is an event you won't want to miss!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, will wonders never cease. A posting at alt.movies.silent indicated that Mr Detlaff would also be selling DVDs of the Edison. Do you have information on this, and if so can you pick one up for me????

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The schedule for the "Many Faces of Frankenstein" weekend has been finalized, and the website has been updated.

In addition to the features and trailers, we'll be showing the incredibly rare 1941 short THIRD DIMENSIONAL MURDER, which features a 3-D appearance by the Frankenstein Monster!

And, if that isn't enough, there will be a display in the Grand Lobby of original Frankenstein collectibles and memorabilia!

It's a very special weekend that no fan of classic horror will want to miss, all presented in one of the last great surviving movie palaces. We're all volunteers and funding to promote this event is very limited. Please help spread the news as best you can. Thank you for your help!

For more information, please visit our website at www.loewsjersey.org

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Just 4 days to go for the big Frankenstein weekend.

Apparently (according to an interview he gave a few days ago) Mr. Dettlaff plans to dress as Father Time. Should be interesting!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Should be a great time - I'll be there Sunday for the Hammer classic REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks