What's new

Frank McCourt (the author) has passed away (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Rest in peace. Not only a wonderful writer, but a genuinely funny and kind man. Saw him speak at a graduation at UCLA, the best commencement speech I've ever seen/heard (and I've seen a lot). Quite a lovely man, especially given his tragic childhood.

Godspeed Mr. McCourt.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, I liked the books even more than the film (Angela's Ashes), which says nothing to the disadvantage of the film, BTW.

May he Rest In Peace.

Cees

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife persisted and persisted that I needed to read Angela's Ashes.

I don't have a lot of free time to read books...although it is a passion (along with films). But I usually get to a few each summer.

I couldn't believe how wonderful a book it was. His ability to tell such a dismal upbringing with such grace and humor and lightness was an extreme gift.

Like Cees, I much preferred the book to the film. I believe it was McCourt's light narrative which was lost in the translation.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on picking up a copy of Angela's Ashes for s summer read...I was vaguely familar with Frank McCourt's work, but didn't realize his background at all until yesterday.

Mike Greenburg from ESPN radio's Mike & Mike spoke very fondly of him - before he was as Pulitzer prize winning author, he was a long time English teacher....Greenie had him HS English and had many memories of his classs.
Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks