What's new

Fox's Steve Feldstein Puts The Format war To Rest (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
This kind of bluster is to be expected during a format war, but Fox does seem to take it one step further than anyone else. You don't see the Sony or Disney folks (well, their home video divisions, anyway) doing this publically, and as a result I have no ill will towards them. The PS3 is an amazing machine on the technical side, and if it wins Blu-Ray the war, then that's how it goes.

My advice to Fox (I'm assuming they still have lurkers around here, despite no longer having active posters) is to sell Blu-Ray on it's technical merits, of which it has many. There's no need to basically tell everyone who has purchased an HD-DVD player that they are idiots. It kinda saddens me that Fox, who used to have a great presence here, and from the sounds of it still
helps Ron get good material for the site, is now projecting thie image they are. I remember the chats we used to have with Peter Staddon, who was a stand-up guy and genuine movie lover, who would go above and beyond with this forum, and made Fox seem like the coolest, most consumer friendly studio in the world. I no longer get that message from Fox, and I'm not sure why.

I don't see stuff like this as a reason to go into fits of rage, it mainly just makes me nostalgic for the good old days when a company would try to sell you on the quality of its product instead of telling you how stupid you were
if you were on the fence or had decided to give the other guy's product a spin first.

I don't know who is gonna win this war, as it's way too early to even try to call, but I do feel that if Fox's opinions were a sure to happen reality, then the millions of people who own PSPs would have made the UMD market lucrative. I know a college freshman who is frothing at the bit for a PS3, as are I'm sure are many of his friends. He recently bought a new TV for gaming and movie watching, and you know what kind he got? An iLo 32" SDTV from Wal-Mart. I really do not think this war is going to be decided by the gaming audience, even though there is a small crossover between the two markets (myself being part of that crossover).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I made one promise to myself when I got my HD player (and it's the same one I'll make when I get my BD player).

No crappy movies just because they are demo material. I did too much of that when I got into DVD in 1997 (and the pickings were slim). Not again.

I grew up on X-Men comics, loved X and X2, and I skipped X3. I love HT, I'm getting BD, and I wouldn't buy X3 for $20, much less $40.

If you want demo material, TWO Ridley Scott movies are coming out on the 14th :) That is the ONE thing keeping me from selling my PS3 right now. If the PS3 isn't a top-notch BD player, I'm hitting the auction houses on the 17th. I can hold off on BD a little longer.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
:) :) :)

Fox promoting Fox, is not a problem.
Fox playing dirty politics with "negative ads" is.
Fox was never my fave DVD studio, because of their reluctance, even avoidance, of anamorphic transfers.
GREAT film studio, though!!!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Travis, I'm sure Fox exodus from being an active participant in this site was understandable, but you can't have an executive flat out say that it is irrational to sample HD-DVD, and not expect that to rub some of your own supporters the wrong way.

Ed, extactly. Most of the folks who want a PS3 want it so they can see the Cell processor tear through Madden 2008 and Metal Gear Solid 4.

One thing I am curious about; when the PSP first came out, every Wal-Mart, even ones in smaller towns like mine, got a sizable inventory of UMD movies. I'm wondering if the PS3 (and perhaps to a lesser extent, the 360 add-on), causes them to stock high-def movies a lot sooner than they normally would.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I think just because of the disaster that UMD created, WalMart will move very slowly on HD. And even with the pre-orders on the 360 add-on selling as quickly as they are, it will be well into next year before we see either the add-on or the PS3 making much of a difference in what WalMart carries.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Well Cory, after a holiday MEMORIAL weekend with 102mil. for 3day and 122mil for 4 days opening, it's almost impossible to not get drop over 60% for next weekend....

Marek

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Pirates 2 made $135M in three days, then dropped less than 50% in it's second weekend. Spidey did the same. That's word of mouth. The X-titles are hugely front-loaded, and usually die after opening weekend in terms of legs. X3 dropped harder than X2.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
X2, I believe, only dropped 45% in its second weekend. Superman Returns didn't even drop that hard, compared to The Last Stand.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Travis, while the name calling is a little silly, after reading the post's link, I am not sure pompus is the term I would have used. What was stated was ill thought out by the Fox Exec, and insulting and the exec should have been called to the carpet. I am a BD and HD owner and looking forward to many more High Quality HD and BD disks.

As far as X3 being the first key blockbuster, I think it would be a toss up between the exclusive HD-DVD King Kong and exclusive BD X3. King Kong grossed over 100 Million more than X3. By the way, at the budget these movies were made for, the box office numbers are not very impressive.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
ppltd,

DVD sales offset the notion that Kong and The Last Stand didn't make "real" money.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Cory, I understand that. But the context I was speaking of was box office revenue, not money made from DVD sales, or any other marketing.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Blu-ray has been doing nothing but trying to play catch up to HD-DVD, and they still have yet to make it. Statements like these just make me laugh. Until we see BD players in the sub $500 range they stand no chance of winning this war.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

pom·pous

ADJECTIVE:
Characterized by excessive self-esteem or exaggerated dignity; pretentious: pompous officials who enjoy giving orders.
Full of high-sounding phrases; bombastic: a pompous proclamation.
Characterized by pomp or stately display; ceremonious: a pompous occasion.

Yep, I believe my english usage was quite correct and descriptive of Mr. Feldstein's COMMENT. If you actually read my original post you will see that I referred to the statement as pompous NOT Mr. Feldstein. My headline was edited by HTF and I stand by my characterization. Fox has made statements like this before. I believe the Fox executives are indeed pompous. I am not sure there is anything else you can politely call them.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

(Comment deleted by poster. After rereading my comment, and after the initial anger wore off, I decided it was not appropriate so have removed it.)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

well superman returns.. don't even have a HALF of opening of XMEN3,

all movies opening on holliday weekned will drop harder, because SUNDAY is inflated due monday being holliday, and also superman returns dropped 59%

and sorry Superman Returns was big disspointmen, hardly 52mil over weekend, it was expected to fight for top 1-2 poistion of summer... and it just crawled over 200mil in last weeks (with reported production budget north of 270mil it will need all earning to get break even )

Marek

MarekM

Supporting Actor

yes that's true Xmen movies are frontloaded, as most of comics movies or hero movies....

And pirates 2 droped more than 50% !

Pirates2, Spidey, Sherk2 and Star Wars 3 all did much much better...., but bigger opening you make bigger fall next week :) at least for most of the movies :)
we don't have pirates spidey or sherk each month :)

and we agree that many movies are FROTNLOADED :)

Marek

Shrek2 -33.2% 72 mil (108 opening)
Spiderman -37.8% 71mil. (114 opening)
Episode 3 -49.09% 55mil.(108 opening)
Pirates 2 -54.03% 62 mil.(135 opening)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Thomas, at present you can't just take a BOX OFFICE GROSS !!
you have to add all other part to see how movie have done it terms of GROSS and NET EARNING !!

box office domestic, international, DVD sales, TV rights, merchandise (toys)...

I know you were comparing WORLDWIDE BOX OFFICE.........

Marek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks