What's new

Fox TV Show Packaging Faults (1 Viewer)

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
I meant to post this long ago. But have any of you had any cover problems with your Fox Tv Show sets.
Let me explain.
My X-Files season boxsets, most of them are ruined. Season 3 I have to force the box that holds the discs into the insert around it. Not to mention that silly info flyer glued to the back of the DVD. I have ruined about 4 sets trying to remove that.

Same goes for the simpsons season 3, the back of the cover is ripped. Who the hell desings these.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Who the hell thought of that bright idea???

If you leave it on, it will get creased, ripped, etc. If you take it off, you risk ruining the box (and I prefer to keep ALL the original materials, for collectors sake).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

You can usually remove that flyer with no damage to the package. I always do and then store it in the box set with the booklet (for the Simpsons and the X-Files). Also, if there is excess glue on the packages (the Shrek DVD had a sticker on the DVD case itself, not on the wrapper), then you can get some mineral spirits to take off the glue or stickiness. Mineral spirits work great, and you can pick up a large container cheap at your hardware store.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget the wonderful plastic trays that detach from the flimsy cardboard backing. Fox's box set packaging sucks.

-Dave

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I think they do a nice job actually.

The plastic trays: The discs are easy to take out, but they stay in when not in use. They've never even come close to detaching for me--keep them in the box at all times you're not using them.

The info flyer: Now this, I do think is stupid. It should just be the back cover--I doubt anyone cares about the picture of Santa's Little Helper and Snowball II on the back of the Simpsons sets. But I've never come close to damaging them or the box. You just have to remove them carefully.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I've never had a problem with those flyers they're usually pretty easy for me to remove glue and all.

I hate digipacks as a rule unless it holds maybe 2 discs, I like that for the most part with newer shows on DVD they use thinpacks.

Rolando

Screenwriter

I agree. I did not think I would like it but those thinpacks used in Family Guy are a great idea. I just bought Vol 1 and I can't stop taking them out and looking at them... so cool!

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator
The WB also has packaging problems. In my Smallville set, the first thing that holds the 1st two discs broke off. I saw it was only held on by something small in the center.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
I hope the slim case packaging used for Firefly, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and Roswell... becomes the standard.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, FOX is only using those for new TV on DVD product with multiple discs. Am I right?

The only ones using digipacks are the sets that started out that way, so the older seasons will match up (Angel, Buffy, X-Files, Simpsons, etc. etc)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

As I mentioned this in my earlier post but probably didn't word it as good as I could have, you are correct. This is only on newer TV shows released and not on shows like Simpsons and the others which saw releases before they moved to the thinpacks. Add M*A*S*H to the list although that doesn't use a digipack but a 3 disc amray.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i like the Babylon 5 cases.
a book format with slip box.
best iv seen. and i buy 1000's.
i hate digipacks.
i hate wb snipcases.
i still like the old dvd keepcases.
if the case gets messed up you can just pull the art work out and put in a new case, just like new again. :D
i only like the slim cases if there in a box set like lost in space, the lable on the box is on the back so i put the open side in with lable faceing out. i like to save space but not to the point where its hard to see the info from shelf.
so thats why i like the Babylon 5 cases the best. saves space and can see well and get to easy.
digipacks are none of the above. the voyager cases could of been better.
if they had fited hard shell cases then the bottom holder could slip into that would of been better. the thin case they are useing on voyager looks bad on the sides and dont fit just right. needed to have a fiting for the top to sit on the bottem part right.
all and all the Babylon 5 cases are the best.
a book format with slip box. :emoji_thumbsup:

GarySchrock

Second Unit
I'm astounded that anyone could like the B5 cases. Ok, yeah, maybe the idea was reasonable, but the implementation was pathetic. One of the primary responsibilities of packaging is to protect the disc, and the B5 packaging fails miserably there.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Me too. Now only if Fox can get the DVD's straight. I got dupliactes of disc 4 in my Futurama set and no disc 2 :angry:

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
IMHO, the thin keep cases are the best for TV sets. I wish fox would switch to this style with the simpsons. Even if it does not line up with the first three sets, they could always offer some kind of mail in thing to get cases for the first three sets.

One problem with fox though is they think that the only reason somebody would want a case is for bootleg copies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks