What's new

Fox to Unleash Blu-ray Assault in Early 2007 (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
None of these are titles I'm interested in buying, so I'd have to disagree with your assessment Thomas. :D AFAIC, this is just another list of mediocre to out-and-out bad films being released in high-def. I really wish that the Blu-ray/HD-DVD people would figure out that if you want to GROW a format, you have to release films that A LOT of people want. Although we do have a few gems, so far the overall batting average isn't very good.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Courage Under Fire is one of my top 25 films of all time. Dangit! :frowning:...There will be many more from Fox, Sony, and Disney no doubt that will level the playing field a bit for we HD-DVD fans. Still, Universal has some heavyweights too and they are exclusive...

It's going to get interesting...:)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I will pick up 'Courage under Fire', a film I like alot, and 'Comando', a film I also liked, but will not admit to.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

my feelings too. I enjoy Entrapment and would pick that up, but its not indispensible to me, and the DVD quite watchable anyway.
Its ironic that Fox finally went and remastered a bunch of the titles I want the most this year on standard def- The Irwin Allen films, the R&H musicals, the Planet of the Apes movies. Having just bought 'em now the itch for an uprade at the moment just isnt there.
I don't think not having access to the blu-ray Fox titles is going to be a devastating blow anytime soon- at least for me.

and by the time that condition changes, I should be able to pick up a Bd player for under $300 :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

And don't forget that these same titles will cost under $20 when you get that $300 BD player. :)

Regards

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
The only currently available title on that Sony format that I would like to have is "The Fifth Element" and from what I have heard it looks poor. There is nothing currently available or announced that I will miss owning. Oh, and yes, I love HD DVD.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
You call this an assault? My 87-year-old grandma packs more of a wallop than this line-up.

Where are the 1950s Cinemascope films, the Roadshow spectaculars, the movie musicals, the Best Picture winners, and the cult favorites?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Don't shoot the messenger. The post heading was the linked news heading, not mine.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sorry, Thomas. I was not attacking you. Still, I fail to see how this is much of an assault. It's more like a tap on the shoulder.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, that's great news for dozen or so people who've shelled out $3000+ *per chair* for D-Box technology *and* own Blu-ray players. Talk about a niche market. --yawn--

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Thanks Matthew, you gave me a good laugh before I hit the sack. Those titles are all sitting in the Walmart discount bin for $4.88 and $5.50. Sony plans to assault the consumer with titles like "Legends of the Fall," movies re-packaged so many times this might be a quadruple dip for some people. You gotta believe they have absolute contempt for the consumer. I'd say they were actually out to assault our wallets!

Scott, I hope you don't mind me picking up your sig...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Fox's exclusive support of Blu-Ray doesn't mean much if they don't release the big titles on the format.

Putting aside personal preferences, none of these titles are "format sellers".

My Grandma also packs a bigger punch than this lineup... and she's been dead for over 20 years.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
These BD threads are getting to be a waste of time. All that happens is a bunch of HD DVD boosters come in and start thread crapping about how much they loves them thar HD DVDs and how nothing on Blu-ray is worth having. It's getting tiresome. Unfortunately, it doesn't help that BD studios keep giving HD DVD supporters (I had another term but decided not use it) fresh meat to feed on by releasing such mediocre films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks