What's new

Fox to release 9-Disc "Mel Brooks Collection" Dec. 15 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Fox Home Entertainment will release The Mel Brooks Collection on Blu-ray this December 15th, just in time for the holidays! The set consists of nine films (see list & synopsis below), available for $139.99 SRP.

Special features have not yet been announced.
Please stay tuned for updates on this collection.

Synopsis:
There are plenty of belly laughs in The Mel Brooks Collection, a nine-disc set of most of the director-writer-actor's best-known films. Six of them - Silent Movie, History Of The World Part 1, High Anxiety, To Be or Not to Be, Twelve Chairs, and Robin Hood: Men with Tights - are making their Blu-ray debut.

Blazing Saddles
The Ultimate Western Spoof. A town where everyone seems to be named Johnson is in the way of the railroad. In order to grab their land, Hedley Lemar, a politically connected nasty person, sends in his henchmen to make the town unlivable. After the sheriff is killed, the town demands a new sheriff from the Governor. Hedley convinces him to send the town the first Black sheriff in the west. Bart is a sophisticated urbanite who will have some difficulty winning over the townspeople.

High Anxiety
Dr. Richard Thorndyke arrives as new administrator of the Psychoneurotic Institute for the Very, VERY Nervous to discover some suspicious goings-on. When he's framed for murder, Dr. Thorndyke must confront his own psychiatric condition, "high anxiety," in order to clear his name. An homage to the films of Alfred Hitchcock; contains many parodies of famous Hitchcock scenes from THE BIRDS, PSYCHO, and VERTIGO.

History Of The World Part 1
From the dawn of man to the distant future, mankind's evolution (or lack thereof) is traced. Often ridiculous but never serious, we learn the truth behind the Roman Emperor, we learn what REALLY happened at the last supper, the circumstances that surrounded the French Revolution, how to test eunuchs, and what kind of shoes the Spanish Inquisitor wore.

Robin Hood Men In Tights
The standard story of Robin Hood: Evil Prince John is oppressing the people while good King Richard is away on the Crusades. Robin steals from the tax collectors, wins an archery contest, defeats the Sheriff, and rescues Maid Marian. In this version, however, Mel Brooks adds his own personal touch, parodying traditional adventure films, romance films, and the whole idea of men running around the woods in tights.

Silent Movie
Aspiring filmmakers Mel Funn, Marty Eggs and Dom Bell go to a financially troubled studio with an idea for a silent movie. In an effort to make the movie more marketable, they attempt to recruit a number of big name stars to appear, while the studio's creditors attempt to thwart them. The film contains only one word of dialogue, spoken by an unlikely source.

Spaceballs
The farce is with you in this laugh-out-loud funny sci-fi send-up that scores "four stars" from USA Today...and "eight trillion on the laugh-meter" (Gene Shalit, NBC-TV)! The fearless - and clueless - Lone Starr (Bill Pullman) and his half-man/half-dog sidekick (John Candy) race against time to free a princess (Daphne Zuniga) from the evil clutches of Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis). Along the way, they meet the wise Yogurt (Mel Brooks), who teaches them the mystical power of "the Schwartz" in order to bring peace - and merchandising rights - to the galaxy!

To Be or Not To Be
A bad Polish actor is just trying to make a living when what should intrude but World War II in the form of an invasion. His wife has the habit of entertaining young polish officers while he's on stage which is also a source of depression to him. When one of her officers comes back on a Secret Mission, the actor takes charge and comes up with a plan for them to escape.

Twelve Chairs
A treasure hunt. An aging ex-nobleman of the Czarist regime has finally adjusted to life under the commisars in Russia. Both he and the local priest find that the family jewels were hidden in a chair, one of a set of twelve. They return separately to Moscow to find the hidden fortune.

Young Frankenstien
Mel Brooks' monstrously crazy tribute to Mary Shelley's classic pokes hilarious fun at just about every Frankenstein movie ever made. Summoned by a will to his late grandfather's castle in Transylvania, young Dr. Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) soon discovers the scientist's step-by-step manual explaining how to bring a corpse to life. Assisted by the hunchback Igor (Marty Feldman) and the curvaceous Ings (Teri Garr), he creates a monster (Peter Boyle) who only wants to be loved.
http://www.dvdtown.com/images/displaymedia.php?id=27367&sizew=500&cat=3&type=1&page=1

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Figuring in Amazon's usual discount, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it for under $90. Even at SRP it comes out to ~$15 per movie.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Very good news.

I already have Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein, so I think I'll wait until the inevitable individual release of History of the World Part I.

But always good to see more catalog on Blu-ray.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sounds good, but I'm disappointed that they're not including "The Producers".

And would a box that fits in with other BDs kill them?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I already have Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs. Hopefully, History of the World Part 1 will eventually get it's own release, as that is the only other film from this set I'm interested in.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
+1

Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

I already have Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs. Hopefully, History of the World Part 1 will eventually get it's own release, as that is the only other film from this set I'm interested in.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Sounds good, but I'm disappointed that they're not including "The Producers".

And would a box that fits in with other BDs kill them?
this set is a dupe of the previous dvd set, right?
I'm sure the Producers
will get a seperate release some day, both of them.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SilverWook

Not crazy about oversized packaging and paper sleeves.
Same here. I know it's not the end of the world, but my dislike for the packaging combined with the price and my unfamiliarity with some of the films makes this an easy pass until the exclusive films are released individually.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Those of you that haven't seen at least High Anxiety and are skipping it are missing out! It's a great movie :)

Apparently the 2005 Producers has a Japanese BD that is pretty good and in English and Region free. I haven't felt the need to try to import it though. We'd probably have it already except Universal distributes the film in the US. (Sony everywhere else).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks