What's new

Fox to reboot "Fantastic Four"... (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Sorry you're so disappointed. Yeah I've seen enough clips and quite lenghty segments at various venues (waiting room, etc...) to know that I am not missing much. Still I agree with the sentiment expressed earlier that the Human Torch was well played.

--
H

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I'll be honest ... I don't see a reboot "Fantastic Four" doing much more than the previous two. The same way the new Hulk didn't do much better than the first one.

I think the younger generation that drives this genre has had their vote and their vote is this ...

They like Spidey, the X-Men, Iron Man, and the darker Batman movies.

Fantastic 4, The Hulk, etc. just aren't as big of a property no matter how you spin it I think. Superman struggles too with this younger set. There just isn't the same "cool" factor. Maybe in the 70s, it was a different story, but the times have changed.

I don't think you can make a "Iron-Man-ed" Fantastic 4 ... that's just not the characters. Reed Richards will never be Tony Stark and the Thing isn't Wolverine. Doesn't matter who you cast.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That's the key. Keep all the cast members you want, but get a good writer to create a script that's faithful to the source material and stays current (not easy) and a director that can give it the visual punch of a Kirby-drawn universe.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

It's not so much the ideas, it's the name recognition. If they use a property with name recognition, they can save a ton of money on marketing.

Pretty soon, there will only be five blockbuster movie genres: remakes, sequels, based on comics, based on TV shows, based on video games. Actually, that's 90% of it as it stands.

Shaun

Second Unit
Most movies these days are either sequels, prequels, remakes or adaptations (books, video games, tv shows, comic books, etc.). There is very little originality left in Hollywood these days.

I have no problem with a reboot, but I wish Fox would let go of the property as they tend to royally screw everything they touch when it comes to Marvel characters. It would be nice if Marvel could get ownership of the film properties and do it proper justice on screen.

In the Marvel universe, The Fantastic Four is one of the most prestigious and well respected, most experienced teams that other superheroes/superhero teams look up to as an example and look to for leadership.

The cast for a reboot needs to reflect this and a more mature cast is the only way to do this. A young cast, especially for Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman, though financially lucrative, would not be right for a proper portrayal of these characters, in my opinion.

Ioan Gruffudd (spelling?) did ok in the role as Mr. Fantastic, but he would not be my first choice in a reboot. He is far too young for the role and to me, never really matched the look of the character in the comics. To me, James Denton looks perfect for the role, both in terms of physical resemblance and age/maturity. He also looks more believable in the role as a brainy scientist with one of the greatest scientific minds in the Marvel universe.

For the Invisible Woman, Naomi Watts is the perfect choice. She conveys both the maturity and inner/outer beauty required for the role. She's done action before (King Kong), so she's proven that she can take the physical aspects required for the role. She can also act, which is always a plus.

Both Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis were both perfectly cast. However, I would probably make The Thing CG animated to make him more of a physical force to be reckoned with, instead of the way too small man-in-a-rubber suit that they decided to go with in the previous movies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
People have probably been saying that since the silent movie days.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

People said that about Iron Man before it came out, too. "Who wants to see a movie about a C-list superhero?" The problem with rebooting movie series is that a certain portion of the audience is always going to be going "What, this again?!" They even said it when Batman Begins came out but the movie was good enough to win them over in the long run. Incredible Hulk wasn't so fortunate in that regard.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I agree with Andy -- once they have the name recognition, they just need the right team to put together. Just think of how successful the two FF movies were considering they were right crap. Imagine if they had made movies that were actually good and demanded fanboy repeat viewings.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Gee, if only there were a currently-hot screenwriter with lots of genre street cred who had actually done a recent stint writing the FF comic book. That would solve a lot of the potential problems. ;)

(But I hear he's booked solid. :frowning:)

Regards,

Joe

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

I don't think there's a magic rule. If they make a mediocre movie and it doesn't do well then let them lie. Maybe FF, or other less successful comic book movies, didn't do well because they didn't resonate enough with the public?

I'm not trying to pick on FF. I just want Hollywood to stop going over the same ground and bring something original to the screen.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

You say this with a "wink, wink, nudge nudge" like the rest of us are knowledgeable of the latest FF writers and or who the current "hot" screenwriters are. Perhaps you could help us out with a name so we can also decide to agree or disagree with you.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I believe he's talking about Mark Millar although from what I saw and heard his FF comics weren't very good.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

He is referring to J. Michael Straczynski. He'd be my first choice as well. Word is JMS wrote or is writing a Silver Surfer script.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
No one else has casting ideas? Of course, I forgot to suggest Naomi Watts (Liev Schreiber's first lady in his own life) as Sue Storm, but Naomi is getting up there in age for trilogy considerations, maybe, while Reed can be cast with an older guy anyhow.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I'm sure James Cameron could kick this series in high gear.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I got nothing, but I like your Yvonne suggestion. She deserves more exposure. Not that an FF movie is a great vehicle right now. I guess changing that is the idea.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
If the rumors are true, Fox execs are probably hopeful that the FF and DD reboots will hit theaters in 2011 and/or 2012.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Wow, I'm so happy about... finding out they're doing another Planet of the Apes and DareDevil. I actually liked, okay LOVED both of them. Yes, I am a fan of the original Apes films, so much that I've seen them all about 50 times but the Burton one was so fun for me - I had a great time. And DareDevil, well - it was badass.

Anyways, I thought Silver Surfer was far and away a better film the first, so I would of been happy with just a third flick in the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks