What's new

FOX - Take a ride, if you dare...release TERROR TRAIN on DVD (1 Viewer)

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
The boys and girls of Sigma Phi...Some will live...Some will die.
terrortrain.jpg

Terror Train is one of my all-time favorite slasher movies because (aside from being Jamie Lee Curtis' best slasher performance outside of Halloween) it truly works well as a mystery (which most true masked slasher films are at heart.) I know a lot of you guys out there enjoy this one as well, so I really need your help.
Terror Train is long overdue for a re-release and I believe Fox should consider releasing it on DVD. As of now, there are no plans to release it on DVD at all. At the recent Fox chat, I got a chance to ask Peter Staddon about this film and he admitted that he had never heard of it before, and that he would look it up.
Possible special features Fox could include:
- Full-length audio commentary by director Roger Spottiswoode, Jamie Lee Curtis, and magician David Copperfield.
- Any deleted scenes and outtakes from the film.
- Recently on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Jamie Lee Curtis was the main guest, and Copperfield was a performer later on in the show and Jay arranged a sort of Terror Train reunion by showing a clip and talking briefly about the film that both Curtis and Copperfield worked on. Possibly this segment could be included on the DVD somewhere.
- An uncut edit if at all possible.
- Interviews with Hart Bochner (who was also in the modern slasher Urban Legends: Final Cut, Jamie Lee Curtis, David Copperfield, and other members of the cast looking back on the film.
- A tribute to late actor Ben Johnson who played the conductor in the film.
- A tribute to the late cinematographer and Kubrick scribe John Alcott.
- A still gallery with the U.S. one-sheet poster as well as pictures of foreign poster art (more DVDs should have these, because it's very interesting to see how films were marketed elsewhere in the world) from the film.
- Any behind-the-scenes footage Fox can round up and possibly a featurette with interviews regarding how they chose the various creepy masks used by the killer during the film.
- The original theatrical trailer and any TV or radio spots they can find.
- And of course all the important audio and video aspects (anamorphic video, remastered audio, etc.)
Also, Fox, using the original theatrical artwork for the cover would be much appreciated, seeing as the poster was (and still is!) among the creepiest movie artwork out there, and there is no need to change it!
Now, this thread is obviously directed toward fans of Terror Train but this could be of some interest to other horror/slasher fans as well. If Fox does decide to release Terror Train on DVD, preferably in its uncut form, then maybe Paramount and other studios will see how much money a major studio like Fox can make off of releasing an uncut 80's slasher film and that there was indeed nothing to be afraid of, as far as getting into trouble for the violent content of an uncut film.
So, show your support for slasher films by showing your support for Fox and their underrated slasher classic Terror Train! It is my deepest hope that this film receives attention from Peter Staddon and makes its long overdue appearance on the digital format, so please help me in making this petition a success.
[Edited last by Wes Ray on August 13, 2001 at 04:53 AM]

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yes. Yes. Yes. If there were ever a "forgotten slasher" that could reach some new fans via DVD, this is the one.
I haven't seen this one in years, but I would definitely pick it up were it to hit DVD. I know Fox doesn't like to lease their titles out to other distributors, so we must beseech Mr. Staddon and the powers that be to give this one a second look.
So there's at least two copies you'll sell. Surely that's worth it!
laugh.gif

------------------
Scott
TheAngryJew's Movie Reviews at HBS.com
AOL IM: ScottFromPhilly

rhett

Supporting Actor
Wes, Terror Train has always been a favorite of mine, especially when it comes to horror films. The premise is simple, but yet it remains original and a step up from other films of the genre, in that the killer constantly changes costumes, so the viewer is left guessing who the killer really is. It was wonderfully shot by Stanley Kubrick's John Alcott, and directed with a nice touch by action master Roger Spottiswoode. The performances are typical for a slasher film, and Jamie Lee Curtis adds flair to the damsel in distress character. A very well done, and somewhat overlooked film, it still remains one of my favorites!
I would love to see every supplement you mentioned Wes, especially retrospectives with the cast and crew, and a commentary. This would make a great fall release for Fox, seeing as their catalogue horror titles are few and far between. It would also coincide great with Curtis' new horror vehicle Halloween: Homecoming.
Please Mr. Staddon, Terror Train has always been a film I've longed to see on DVD, and I really hope you can help both Wes and I, and the many other fans of this film, by releasing it for the first time in widescreen since its theatrical exhibition.
------------------
"Why don't we just wait here for a while...see what happens."

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes, Halloween on a Train as I would call it. :)
I would take the film in it's original OAR and Dolby Surround. Anything else will be, um... extra. :)
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as well...Terror Train is defiently one of the better early 80's slasher films...an uncut dvd would be sweet!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I am so there...I've never seen it, but I've heard so much about it...I would love to finally lay my hands on a copy!
------------------
"Staying home from school?"
"Yeah, Mom's afraid I'll get kidnapped too."

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
This film would be great on dvd! We can never have enough horror!
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Oh yes...we all must take a ride on the train...
I agree with all the others; this is a true sleeper, unjustly tossed aside when originally released. I caught this gem on TV a few years ago and was completely hooked. Great acting and directing, and absoultely stunning photography by John Alcott (R.I.P.). Really, we must see this on DVD sometime soon. How I'd love to see the movie in its OAR.
Fox--your studio does wonderful work. If you don't have the time to do a proper release of this movie, please consider leasing it out to Anchor Bay or Elite, who specialize in these type of films.
Want to know how good Terror Train is? It's so good it achieves the impossible: it makes David Copperfield watchable. :)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I haven't seen TT in years and wouldn't mind revisiting it on dvd. :)
------------------
thirdman.gif

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if I use that line in my next Western?"

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Yeah! FOX lets get these train movies out on disc!
TERROR TRAIN...
and then...
EMPEROR OF THE NORTH!
------------------

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Sure, I am all for 80's slashers being released on DVD.
I have my ticket, My destination is to pick up Terror Train on DVD.
Regards,
Ricky

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I love excellent old horrors being released, and I will most certainly buy it if it is released.
This is not an idle threat!
------------------
"Here lies Ash Buchanan, protected by the Ejaculation of Serpents" - coming to DVD on 21st August 2001

Chuck L

Screenwriter
On a funny note....a dear friend of mine is totally convinced that David Copperfield is indeed Satan. She swears that a few years back she saw him live and that there was no way that he could do the things that he does without being or at least having Satan on his side. No matter how many times I have tried to tell her otherwise, she still believes this.
ANYWAY...
Put me down on this one as well. I recall seeing this in the early days of HBO and enjoying it from the start. It has that certain cheese factor that was needed for great 80's horror.
I would buy this if it were to come out. Jaime, Jaime, Jamie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks