What's new

Fox Studio Classics - complete release details (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Just received All About Eve and How Green Was My Valley and while both discs are a class act, here's some of the info I think will interest a great number of you.

Firstly - those darn Proofs-of-Purchase. They're on the bottom left-hand corner of the back of the scene selections insert and you won't cut into anything on the reverse side - just a small rectangular piece missing.

Secondly, in the second Sunrise insert, it contains full release dates for all the discs in 2003, and here they are:

An Affair to Remember - 4th February
The Day The Earth Stood Still - 4th March
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - 1st April
Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing - 6th May
The Grapes of Wrath - 3rd June
Anastasia (1956) - 1st July
The Inn of the Sixth Happiness - 5th August
Titanic (1953) - 2nd September
The Mark of Zorro - 7th October
Laura - 4th November
The Ox-Bow Incident - 2nd December

I'm bitterly disappointed that My Darling Clementine isn't on it. Simply because one of the great John Ford masterpieces was ignored by the Oscars, doesn't mean Fox should do the same!

And lastly, although Robert Crawford said he had it confirmed that international customers would be able to send in for the Sunrise DVD, everything on the insert states the opposite - only those in the USA and Canada (but not Quebec) need apply. It's also only one per household.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Not as many must-haves as I was expecting, but I'll easily be picking up a half-dozen or so.

I don't like the limitation of one copy of Sunrise, but I'm sure that I can find some relatives or friends to send for the extra copies.

I too am waiting for "My Darling Clementine". Maybe Fox will release it anyway, just not under the same banner. I guess we can only wait and see.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to be too harsh because I'm very happy that Sunrise will be available and it's certainly not Fox's fault that these titles don't run more in line with my taste, but it sucks that I'm going to have to wait all the way until December before there are enough discs I want to buy.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll be getting all of these except An Affair to Remember and the 1953 Titanic. Good to see Inn of the Sixth Happiness on the list - I don't think that had been mentioned before.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Regarding the title "My Darling Clementine" it is probably going to be release with other westerns, similar to how Fox releases it's war films together in a bunch each year. Now, the issue about getting the "Sunrise" dvd outside of North America, that has to be addressed by Fox or Peter Staddon, since I was told a couple of months ago that anybody that buys three of those titles can receive the "Sunrise" dvd. Hopefully, Peter will see this thread and respond.

Crawdaddy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
So, Sunrise can be obtained only by purchasing 3 of the Studio Classics, but not any other 2003 Fox DVDs?

I really just want The Day The Earth Stood Still and maybe The Grapes of Wrath... but I was looking forward to The Big Trail, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and My Darling Clementine.

Still...great titles worthy of being called "studio classics." Keep up the great work, Fox!

Terry H

Second Unit
I hope My Darling Clementine shows up as it seems I've been waiting forever for it. On a positive note, I'm very pleased to see The Mark of Zorro . I really don't recall any mention of this at all. Nice surprise!

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I also don't remember any previous mention of The Mark of Zorro. This is very close to the top of my MUST HAVE list. :emoji_thumbsup: I'll be picking this up along with The Day the Earth Stood Still. I don't know how many of the others I'll get, but I'm sure it'll be at least a couple.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
very impressive list indeed and looks like Jon got them first as I have not received my 3 dvds yet, oh well there is also tomorrow
:D

AlbertAgullo

Agent
Forgive me but I'm not sure weather it is two or three DVDs you have to buy to get Sunrise (I was not an option for me since i live in Barcelona, but now I have a friend in NY who could manage it).

Regards

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see Laura & The Ox-Box Incident as future releases. Hoping that The Gunfighter, Panic in the Streets, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Kiss of Death will make it onto DVD in 2004.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm very happy to see "Titanic"(1953) on this list as I don't recall seeing anything written about it in past posts that address this subject. Along with "Laura", I'll have at least two of my Clifton Webb titles.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I don't like the limitation of one copy of Sunrise, but I'm sure that I can find some relatives or friends to send for the extra copies.
Um where did you get this information? I haven't gotten any of the discs yet, but I had figured on sending in for another sunrise disc every three titles I bought. Then I'd sell them on ebay or trade them here on HTF.

Adam

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I believe that Jon mentioned that the coupon for Sunrise was only for one household.

It is the first post mentioned

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just received All About Eve. The leaflet about Sunrise says "This offer is limited to one per household/address". It lists addresses for Fox in USA and Canada to send the completed form, proof-of-purchase tabs and the original store receipts and states that the offer is good only in USA and Canada. So I'm certainly disappointed to find that I'm not eligible.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Douglas
You can always send a letter to Fox / Peter Staddon and see if he helps out since he mentioned on the HTF Chat a couple of weeks ago that folks living outside the US & Canada will be able to get Sunrise, I am certainly going to write or call
:D

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
How bout How to Steal a Million with Audrey Hepburn? Ive been waiting for that for a long time now.
:frowning:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Well, I picked up the first three on Saturday. A certain major retailer had them on the shelves already and with my coupons, I got quite a good deal on all of them.

A few comments:

1. Did anybody notice the Criterion like numbering system that FOX has adopted for this series?

2. I thought that FOX was somehow connected to AMC as they've always included there Backstory documentaries when available and this time is no exception. The curiosity is that there is an advertisement for TCM inside the box. I love this as I worship TCM, but it seems kind of odd since they are direct competitors - albeit not as much recently.

3. I'm not a big fan of cutting up the insert for the mail-in offer, but I suppose it could be worse.

I'm hoping to watch "How Green..." tonight as I have never seen this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks