What's new

Fox Still Supporting DTS? (1 Viewer)

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

Just Wondering if Fox is still supporting DTS? It seems to me you as a studio were bring out multiple catalogue titles in dts but in recent days Your Support of DTS seems to all but have evaporated with fewer and fewer titles from Fox showing up in DTS?? Can anyone shed some light on this? Peter Staddon where are you??

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Ed:

There are a few titles being released by FOx in the next few months.

Don't Say a Word (I believe was DTS).

Behind Enemy Lines

The Johnnie Depp ( ???? Hell) movie.

Plus I would assume that the 5-Star Editions of Speed and others will be DTS.

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

All I'm saying is that the frequency and number of DTS titles which Fox has released has dropped dramatically & When they do release DTS titles they haven't seemed to be as High Profile in their Publicity as when "Predator". "The Seige", "Point Break" and "Courage Under Fire" were released which led me to ask the question. Where is Peter Staddon these days anyway?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Peter Staddon is a busy man at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. His presence here is very welcome but his membership is voluntary, he is not obligated to answer every question.

And not every distributor can churn out a dts title every release date. I believe Fox's stance on dts is that it is not a selling point for their titles but rather a nice bonus for some films.

Columbia Tri-Star Home Entertainment is the only distributor I know that actually uses dts as a selling point and I wish they would stop this practice. It results in re-releases of titles that do not need them. It would be great to have re-issues of these titles in dts from CTS:

A League of Their Own

Money Train

The Quick And The Dead

The Net

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Rutger,

Was just noting that Peter has been noticeably absent from HTF. I also think for those of us who prefer a dts mix to a dd mix because of the extra punch on the bottom end that dts can give that if there is a dts mix theatrically that it should be made available to the consumer in the home market. I will however concede that in Limited cases the DD mix has been better such as "The Rock" (Criterion).

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hey Ed,

I agree that fox has decreased their number of dts titles lately, when will that change? Who knows? In terms of recent titles that have dts vs. titles that don't have them is curious also. For example, you and I both raised an eyebrow when we found out that a big action film like KISS OF THE DRAGON wouldn't have it while a less deserving title, imo, like DON'T SAY A WORD does. But what can you do except shrug it off I guess.

John C

Stunt Coordinator
Many seem to forget that Peter Staddon dropped the DTS track on the X-MEN DVD when it noticeably lessened the video quality on the disc. Depending on the "bit budget" DTS audio may negatively impact the picture quality on some discs and shouldn't be included in those cases. I want DTS as much as possible, but not at the expense of pristine video.

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
John,

The idea that it decreased picture quality doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Prime example, GLADIATOR was over 2 and a half hours long and a feature length commentary on top of a DTS-ES track, nobody coplains about the transfer on this dvd though do they? Maybe dvd compression technology changed between these 2 releases? Oh well, aren't they going to release an se around the time the sequel comes out anyway?

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Prime example, GLADIATOR was over 2 and
a half hours long and a feature length commentary on top of a DTS-ES track, nobody coplains about the transfer on this dvd
though do they?
I think the big difference here is that Gladiator was just the movie on one disc. X-Men has scads of supplements on the same disc as the movie, whereas Gladiator's was put on a second disc.
Mr. Staddon, at the time said that if they had more time, they would've made X-Men a 2 disc set, and the film would've included a DTS track, but they were under a real tight schedule with that release, and it was a compromise to please both the fans of the comics, and film buffs at the same time.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Even though Gladiator looked good, would it have looked even slightly better if DTS was not included? I don't have the answer, but something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks