What's new

Fox Path Theater - Now Under Construction (1 Viewer)

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I can't get your site to load at all! Any ideas? Is the server offline just now? DOes it work for anyone else?

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
Robin,

I had to change DNS servers earlier this week so the new addresses are slowly populating across the 'net. I've heard from a few people that they had trouble accessing the site at first but after a couple tries they got in.

I just checked and the site is definitely up...if you'd like to try again I'm sure you'll get in eventually.

Felipe,

Mike is right about the server load. While I certainly don't mind you linking an image directly from the site, would you mind editing your post to point to the thumbnail version of that image?

You can use the following:
http://theater.c5design.com/int_framing6_tn.jpg

While I'm sure this thread isn't going to get enough views to drag down the server I do have a fixed amount of bandwidth available before it starts costing me additional money. Money I'd rather pour into the HT!! :D

Thanks for understanding.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
A brief update...

Installed conduit, pulled all speaker and CAT5e cable and insulated the seating riser.

I pulled 8 runs of Belden RG6QS from the equipment room to the face of the riser (to cover component, composite, toslink and digital coax connections) as well as an s-video feed and two CAT5e feeds. I also have a 3" PVC conduit run through the riser to facilitate expansion. Since my walls are open and it's (relatively) easy to pull the cables I've run all of my initial wiring outside of the conduit. This should make it a little easier pulling additional cables down the road.

I ran CL3 12/2 speaker wire to all 7.2 speaker locations (including two spots for subs) and I ran RG6QS to each sub location as well, covering me should I go with active or passive subs.

CAT5e was run to the center of the front wall (IR Dinky Link receiver), to a celing location to the left of where the screen wall will be (masking control) and to the Grafik Eye location.

I still have to pull cables to the projector location. There's never enough time...

Next up is decking the riser while I wait on my brother to have some free time to help me install the HVAC.

Once that's done it's on to insulation and drywall at which point it should really start to take shape as a room. I can't wait!

pradike

Stunt Coordinator
Very impressive Theater indeed. It pays to plan these things out in detail before contruction - like you did here.

We ran the same drill on ours - 3 months of planning before we even had a contractor show up.

You're gonna love your Theater when its done. Great job.

We love ours.

The Radike Home Theater WEB site

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
What does the the contracted-out work for a new addition like that cost roughly, if you don't mind me asking, of course?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh.... the ol' speakers-hidden-in-the-columns trick. If I had to do it again... and had the space.. I would go that route too. Very nice.. can't wait to see the finished project.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Chip:

Do you have any more updated pictures of the project? I know we have had some rough weather here in MA in December, but have the construction people done any interior work. The last I see on the site is the update from August.

John

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Unfortunately that is (still) the most recent update. :angry:

After I finished pulling the speaker and other LV wiring I had to wait almost a month(!) for the inspector. Once it was inspected I was ready to move forward with the HVAC installation. Of course by this point my HVAC installer (my brother) and his wife had just had their first baby, so there went another month or so as they got settled into their new routine.

I finally took delivery of the HVAC equipment on December 12th, and that afernoon we found out that my six-year-old son has diabetes. :frowning:

A week in Children's Hospital in Boston, then another week or two adjusting to our new lifestyle, then Christmas, etc. and as you can see not much has been accomplished in the theater.

Needless to say I'm itching to get going again. With any luck my brother and I will find time this month to get the HVAC installed. Once that's done it's on to insulation and drywall, and I believe I'm going to hire these out so they should go quick.

Thanks for the interest and as soon as I have some progress to report on I'll update the site and bump this thread.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Happy New Year, Chip. Let's hope that in the not to distant future you will be sitting back with remote(s) in hand, enjoying the show.

It's well worth the trip!

John Swarce

Second Unit
Chip:

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about all that has gone on in the past few months! I'm sure it has not been easy.

I'll echo Mr. Fowkes in wishing you a Happy New Year, also.

John

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
"Forgive me fellow members for I have disappeared. It has been seven month since my last update..." (oops...wrong forum :D)

Seriously, it's been quite a while since I've had any progree to report, but I'm pleased to say that things are back in full-swing.

Since the last update I've had the HVAC installed (finally!), the gas piping completed and just today the insulation went in. It's amazing how simply insulating can start to define a room. I can really get a feel for what the space is going to look like now.

Next up is drywall. After that the final electrical and I'll be done with subs. The balance of the work I plan to do myself, which should speed things up as I can work at my own pace rather than waiting on others.

Anyway, for anyone still interested I've update my HT construction gallery with the latest pictures. (link in sig)

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Chip,

Now that the contractors are almost done.. Need a hand hanging sheetrocking finish work anything let me know.let me know.

BTW...John Swarce are you from MA

Signed
Ed

John Swarce

Second Unit
Chip:

Glad to see the project is back up and running. I will be sure to follow along on your website.

Ed:

Yes, I am! I live in southern MA.

John

SteveFred

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chip,

Very nice theater project :)

Do you have an equipment list?

Man you have patience*. I dont think I could wait 18 month.

I have pics of my consturction on my web. I started Aug 14th 2004:). Plus I am doing all the work myself, except the carpet install, so I dont have to wait for anyone :)

Yours will look better though I didnt put any columns in mine, maybe I will in the future :)

Steve

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
"If you add a little to a little, and then do it again, soon that little shall be much." - Hesoid c.700 BC

...and so goes my HT project. Nearly two years now since I received my plans from DE and I can finally start to see a faint light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the comments Steve. Your theater looks great so far. Can't wait to see the final product. (I secretly hate you for accomplishing in a little over two weeks what I've been working on for two years! :D )

Given the length of my project my equipment list has changed several times over the last couple of years. Currently I'm looking at the following:

Sony VPL-HS20
Stewart SND123H (123"D 107"x60" - Firehawk/MicroPerf/VeLux)
Rocket HT Package #3 (w/xtra RS300s for rear)
SVS Dual 20-39CS+
Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro - Outlaw 7100 Amp Combo
Furman PL-PRO 15A Power Conditioner
Zenith DVB318 DVD Player

I'm not an audio/video-phile so my choice of equipment really comes down to price/value. My main emphasis to date has been on spending a bit more to get the room designed and built correctly. Equipment can be upgraded down the road...construction cannot. (not cheaply, anyway)

I'm currently waiting on companies to get back to me with drywall quotes and hope to have that completed within a couple of weeks. I'll update again when there's more progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks